Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Potential 2021-22 roster additions

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I personally think he'll be all that no matter where he ends up ^

On a side note, this has also changed a fans perspective on recruiting. I almost look forward to grad transfers more than recruits, because (at least for Oregon) recruits don't last on our roster very often, and grad transfers are usually seasoned and hit the ground running. Obviously you need both, but it's crazy how it's almost more exciting to follow / land grad transfers than recruits.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Seems like Penny Hardaway is an incredible recruiter but doesn't develop the talent he gets.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Seems like Penny Hardaway is an incredible recruiter but doesn't develop the talent he gets.
Seems Memphis might be a good landing spot for Lawson and his brother.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Not sure if this is the thread to post this, but I was wondering about the lineup next year, could Altman do the opposite of what he did this year and go with a big lineup? Bittle at 3, Kepnang at 4, and Dante at 5? If little bro Lawson doesn't come to Oregon now and Oregon struggles to get a guard, is that worth even considering? I wouldn't be the biggest fan of it unless Kepnang or Dante figures out how to shoot 3's (which I doubt will happen) just seems like next year there could be a luxury of big guys with a shortage of wing players.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I would be really concerned with the lack of ball handlers with that lineup.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I wonder if they'd even think about poaching Cal's best player.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I usually don't say much about kids going pro, but kids that skip college for the G-league, it's just a very dumb decision in most cases.

Look at Suggs and Zion and what CBB did for them. Suggs wasn't even a consensus top 10 pick and now he'll be top 3, if not #1.

The amount of exposure and competition, you're not going to get CLOSE to that in the G-league. I can see why Cronin was pissed about his kid getting poached by the Gleague this year too. Shady business with agents.

Unless your family is in desperate financial straights, it's a terrible decision. If you are successful, you have to wait longer for the big contract than you would if you want to college and did well. If you're NOT successful, you're burnt in 2-3 years with no $ and no degree.

Side Note:Sucks for Cal that Bradley is transferring. Easily their best player.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Jalen Terry is in the portal.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

I don't even think making the portal an automatic one time switch is going to make audiences or critics happy. They want to burn the NCAA to the ground. The G league has become like this utopia fantasy to younger fans who only see exploitation. And you're just never going to convince them that the majority of athletes actually get a better deal with college athletics. I've given up trying see a future for CBB where there isn't some major issue that causes a big stink.

But then March roles around and you have games like UCLA/Gonzaga and everybody loses their minds. Eventually the "pay to play" issue will be solved with government intervention of some kind. But I don't think it will be that huge. CBB isn't going anywhere and "NBA only" fans are going to accept that there's this amateur system they can't do anything about.
HomeSickDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by HomeSickDuck »

I’ve been reading about a lot of transfers (top transfers) and I haven’t seen Oregon really mentioned at all. Anyone know what’s going on and who we might be in on?
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

HomeSickDuck wrote:I’ve been reading about a lot of transfers (top transfers) and I haven’t seen Oregon really mentioned at all. Anyone know what’s going on and who we might be in on?
Altman might be busy with other stuff (exits interviews with the rest of the roster, putting out feelers for a replacement of Coach Stubblefield & having to strategize off season recruiting now himself.) I wouldn't read much into it. There has been a some talk among out there that the Pac-12 raising play all around this year, Altman and his team might lose a step. But given the length and breadth of his career... he's probably seen just about everything now. I think we'll see the usual types of signings and off season chatter.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Re: Potential 2021-22 MBB roster additions

Post by mrpd21 »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Potential 2021-22 MBB roster additions

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It's just a complete mess, Dick Vitale is very against it and blames bad parenting for this. I don't know what to blame, there's something to be said about sticking it out but also don't want to blame someone for leaving a toxic environment. I don't think there's any one source to blame for this, I believe there's a few to blame, the NCAA itself, coaches, universities, players, parents, there's just a lot of issues and as long as this continues college basketball will lose even more viewership and will eventually find themselves in the dumpster.

Also it's unfortunate basketball has yet to figure out a good alternative to college, the G League is crap and LaVar Ball's league was destined to fail. I guess going overseas has helped some but that also seems like it can doom someone's NBA chances. It just appears for now we will have to realize this is college basketball today and until there's a good alternative we'll have to embrace a new Oregon lineup every year with very few returning players.

For me personally, I believe a few changes that could help are:
1) Allow players to make money off their likeness and sale their gear, but don't allow universities to pay athletes as that'd create a mess (why should all athletes be paid equally? Give me one reason Maldonado should make as much as Mariota? Plus athletic departments don't make money off of college sports despite what people claim, leave the funds for important departments including research). In addition, I believe Nike, Reebok, Under Armour, and Adidas should change their jersey selling structure to where if athletes can get paid, you can order a jersey for any player you want rather than having a selection of 3. That way if you're a fan of Josh Delgado and want his jersey even though he's not a popular player, you can, and he'll get paid. I'm aware some will get paid way more than others but that's life, heck that's how it works in the pros.
2) Either allow players to go to the NBA out of high school or if they choose the college route, they have to be in school for at least 3 years like football.
3) Limit the number of transfers, perhaps allow a one time transfer allowance and any transfer after that the athlete is not eligible for a scholarship and has to pay for their education personally and meet the standard educational requirements but also allow them to request an exception if it's reasonable (sick family member, abusive coach, things like that). It really bugs me to see student athletes take a seat in a class then halfway through the semester leave meaning that seat was used up for someone who didn't take it seriously when a regular student would've taken that seat if it was open, that just hurts academics in my opinion.