Altman

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

Altman

Post by duckfan96 »

See some rumblings about texas coming after Altman. Thoughts?
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Re: Altman

Post by bigsugarduck »

duckfan96 wrote:See some rumblings about texas coming after Altman. Thoughts?
No Idea, but Altman does not seem like a Texas kind of guy to me. Texas could give more money, but at the end of a career, you'll be filthy rich no matter what. You can't make the case that Oregon is not competitive for top recruits. Altman has what he needs at Oregon. He just needs guys to stick with the program longer (this is on him), and stop having devastating team injuries (no control over this). If not for the injuries the past 5 years, Oregon may well have earned that national title and a few more Elite 8s/FFs. I guess what I'm saying is that the grass is not greener in Texas, unless you literally want to make more green.

I was just looking at the all time coaching wins list and Altman, at age 62, could reasonably coach for another 10-15 years. Many of the heavyweights in coaching are in their mid 70s now, but then there are guys like Lon Kruger, calling it quits at 68. How much does Altman love coaching?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

bigsugarduck wrote:
No Idea, but Altman does not seem like a Texas kind of guy to me. Texas could give more money, but at the end of a career, you'll be filthy rich no matter what. You can't make the case that Oregon is not competitive for top recruits. Altman has what he needs at Oregon. He just needs guys to stick with the program longer (this is on him), and stop having devastating team injuries (no control over this). If not for the injuries the past 5 years, Oregon may well have earned that national title and a few more Elite 8s/FFs. I guess what I'm saying is that the grass is not greener in Texas, unless you literally want to make more green.

I was just looking at the all time coaching wins list and Altman, at age 62, could reasonably coach for another 10-15 years. Many of the heavyweights in coaching are in their mid 70s now, but then there are guys like Lon Kruger, calling it quits at 68. How much does Altman love coaching?
I dunno. What should he do about guys not sticking around the program long enough? Recruit less talented players? Lie to guys about future expected playing time? Give less talented guys more PT to keep them satisfied? Beg guys to stay rather than go try to make a living? I don't know that there's really much of a perfect solution there.
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

bigsugarduck wrote:

I’d be very surprised if Altman leaves at this point. Why? Oregon can pay and is a relatively low stress job. Texas other than being a big name school, comes with its share of issues. Meddling alumni, constant critical eye and a culture of unreal expectations. Altman’s personality doesn’t seem to coincide with the setting that Austin would offer. I would have thought a job like Indiana would be more in line if he was looking to move on.

Altman has a good deal in Eugene and a job as long as he wants it. Other than a desire for a change of scenery, Oregon seems like the endpoint of a career to cement his status as one of the best coaches at this university.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Chris Beard is the odds on favorite for that job.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

rentdodger wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:

I’d be very surprised if Altman leaves at this point. Why? Oregon can pay and is a relatively low stress job. Texas other than being a big name school, comes with its share of issues. Meddling alumni, constant critical eye and a culture of unreal expectations. Altman’s personality doesn’t seem to coincide with the setting that Austin would offer. I would have thought a job like Indiana would be more in line if he was looking to move on.

Altman has a good deal in Eugene and a job as long as he wants it. Other than a desire for a change of scenery, Oregon seems like the endpoint of a career to cement his status as one of the best coaches at this university.
I too was worried about the Indiana opening. Big sigh of relief when they hired Woodson.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

If Altman decides to go to Texas or OU or somewhere else, I think we thank him for his service and wish him best of luck. He's done a remarkable job at UofO. Hopefully he's not done yet.
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

StevensTechU wrote:If Altman decides to go to Texas or OU or somewhere else, I think we thank him for his service and wish him best of luck. He's done a remarkable job at UofO. Hopefully he's not done yet.
Getting to the Sweet Sixteen just about every year is great. There are probably only a few coaches who could have done better for Oregon the last decade. Winning is the biggest thing, but Altman is just a solid, respectable guy, and classy. Great rep for the University. I have nothing bad to say if he does leave.

If anyone is curious about Altman's chops, Oregon is a top overperformer in the Tournament:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... upon-their
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

IMO the Oregon basketball program is in a much better spot than the Texas one is in.

There is also something about UT....
- Mack Brown gets fired and does ok/better at UNC
- Tom Herman did well at Houston but lost the team last year
- Rick Barnes got fired at Texas and he's doing ok at Tennessee
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

ducks5ever wrote:IMO the Oregon basketball program is in a much better spot than the Texas one is in.

There is also something about UT....
- Mack Brown gets fired and does ok/better at UNC
- Tom Herman did well at Houston but lost the team last year
- Rick Barnes got fired at Texas and he's doing ok at Tennessee
Not going to speak to UT specifically, but I often think about how much success comes from the "program" versus a coach. Some places, it seems like you have to be a special kind of bad to not have success, so that success seems to endure no matter who is in charge (Wisconsin football). It obviously works in reverse, as some places are particularly hard to win at. Where I find myself wondering about this the most is the following hypothetical: Lets say Cristobal is a 7 wins/year coach based on the assumption that if he worked at every school from Kansas and Syracuse to Alabama and Clemson, he'd average about 7 wins a season. Lets say at Oregon, he's a 10 wins/year coach. Should Oregon pay him what they'd pay another 7 wins/year coach that is coaching some other program, or should they feel compelled to pay him 10 wins/year money? Related, should they feel less compelled to pay head coaches top dollar if they're investing top dollar in all the related resources a coach needs (facilities, academic support, recruiting, branding, etc.)?

Perhaps a theoretical conversation for another time.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
25m
DePaul is in negotiations with Oregon assistant Tony Stubblefield to become the next head coach, source told @Stadium
. Barring a last-minute collapse in negotiations, Stubblefield will replace Dave Leitao.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Texas, Oklahoma, and now UNC all looking for a coach. I wonder how hard of a run they're going to make at Mark Few.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Texas, Oklahoma, and now UNC all looking for a coach. I wonder how hard of a run they're going to make at Mark Few.
Texas hiring Beard as anticipated
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Texas, Oklahoma, and now UNC all looking for a coach. I wonder how hard of a run they're going to make at Mark Few.
As attractive as the UNC job is, it would also be a pressure cooker. Altman get stay at Oregon and keep doing what he's been doing, winning 20+ games per year, winning conference championships, and doing well in the tournament every year OR go to UNC, have 1-2 years of leeway, and then have them be expected to win championships every year.

Would what Altman has accomplished at Oregon and Creighton even be appreciated at UNC? They'd probably want to fire him for "only" reaching the Elite-8 after a couple years.

Following in the footsteps of Roy Williams and Dean Smith would be tough.
John 3:36
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Really thought the Roy Williams retiring story was an April Fools joke at first.