WBB Offseason Player movement (Shelly, Chavez, Mikesell)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

WBB Offseason Player movement (Shelly, Chavez, Mikesell)

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Jaz Shelly is the first leaving. Had a disappointing year by her standards, her 3 point shot was missing at the beginning of the year and she never got back to her potential and established a key role like she had last year. Popular player with her teammates.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
greenyellow

Re: WBB Offseason Player movement

Post by greenyellow »

Taylor Chavez is leaving as well. Should really open up playing time for the 2020 recruiting class now and 2021 recruit Bigby. Graves should probably go after a couple guards in the transfer portal to give them some more depth, especially at PG due to Paopao's injury history, but it sounds like he's not planning to add anyone via the transfer portal unless they're the perfect fit.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Re: WBB Offseason Player movement (Jaz Shelly, Taylor Chavez

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I think we only have 10 players under scholarship for this upcoming season, so it should be interesting to see what additions are made.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DmoneyDuck wrote:I think we only have 10 players under scholarship for this upcoming season, so it should be interesting to see what additions are made.
They'll have 11 players as they're currently slated to return nine players while adding two 2021 recruits.

PG: Te-Hina Paopao, Maddie Scherr
SG: Taylor Mikesell, Sydney Parrish, Taylor Bigby
SF: Angela Dugalic
PF: Nyara Sabally, Kylee Watson
C: Sedona Prince, Arielle Wilson, Phillipina Kyei
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'd be a bit surprised if Phillipina Kyei was on scholarship/full scholarship.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:I'd be a bit surprised if Phillipina Kyei was on scholarship/full scholarship.
Why? She was being recruited by the likes of Texas, Gonzaga, and Maryland before picking Oregon. She's only underrated because she plays up in Canada and hasn't been playing long enough for most college coaches to really scout her.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Ar ... 155314142/
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I've got 35 cents that says Chavez lands in Arizona.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I'd be a bit surprised if Phillipina Kyei was on scholarship/full scholarship.
Why? She was being recruited by the likes of Texas, Gonzaga, and Maryland before picking Oregon. She's only underrated because she plays up in Canada and hasn't been playing long enough for most college coaches to really scout her.

Mixed her up with Arielle Wilson. Arielle Wilson averaged 1.8 points per game at the JUCO level and had very little interest from colleges.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

Mixed her up with Arielle Wilson. Arielle Wilson averaged 1.8 points per game at the JUCO level and had very little interest from colleges.
Kyei is a high ceiling project. My highest expectation for next season from her is we'll have 2 player dunking in warmups.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

I'll miss both of them!!!! Oregon's recruiting class was so great last year it sort of put them in a tough spot but they are great players and will do well.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

GrandpaDuck wrote:I've got 35 cents that says Chavez lands in Arizona.
Yeah most likely. She seemed so out of this season, but when AZ was in the championship game she was VERY active on social media rooting for them. Also a native there.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Chavez is transferring to Arizona.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Once a Duck, always a Duck, doesn’t seem to apply to Chavez.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Once a Duck, always a Duck, doesn’t seem to apply to Chavez.
I don't seem to remember that phrase ever being used for players who transferred until recently; it was a way to connect the Alumni to the Athletic Department to capture more donations.

Seems like a generic "Thanks for the memories" is more appropriate and apt.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:Once a Duck, always a Duck, doesn’t seem to apply to Chavez.
I don't seem to remember that phrase ever being used for players who transferred until recently; it was a way to connect the Alumni to the Athletic Department to capture more donations.

Seems like a generic "Thanks for the memories" is more appropriate and apt.
Take a step back and think through it. Is Masoli a Duck? He transferred to Ole Miss. What about Daewood Davis? For what he's done, I'd say absolutely, even though he'll finish his career at Western Kentucky.

It definitely raises an eyebrow when someone transfers to an in-conference school, but the mantra is the mantra. If Chavez says "F the Ducks" somewhere down the road, then sure, she's out. lol. But until then, we recognize and thank student-athletes for their contributions and wish them luck.