Speaking of baseball recruiting...

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

OregonVato
One Star Recruit

Speaking of baseball recruiting...

Post by OregonVato »

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/in ... thlet.html

This would be e great way to fill a non-baseball scholarship position. People were commenting that it would get in the way of spring football practice, but the baseball guys also have fall baseball practice. Luckily, our coaches are supportive of the other programs and work well together.

Hope he becomes a Duck.
OregonVato
One Star Recruit

Re: Speaking of baseball recruiting...

Post by OregonVato »

200+ views and nobody makes a comment. You are all bigger lurkers than I am.
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

OregonVato wrote:http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/in ... thlet.html

This would be e great way to fill a non-baseball scholarship position. People were commenting that it would get in the way of spring football practice, but the baseball guys also have fall baseball practice. Luckily, our coaches are supportive of the other programs and work well together.

Hope he becomes a Duck.
I don't know, sounds great in theory and if it helps get a legit prospect to campus, great. However the reality is it's just so tough trying to play 2 sports at high level D1 programs that it rarely ever works out.

I see in article Winston gets mentioned, but he's a pitcher in baseball, which is way different from a day in day out preparation standpoint than a centerfielder (which Doherty is). I just don't see it coming to fruitition. The article also mentions Armstead and he gave it a shot freshman year, but than the reality set in of where his future is (football) and he'd need to devote the necessary time to that. Basketball in turn took a backseat, and he was passed by others that just play basketball. Not saying it's impossible, just the chances of it happening is very, very, slim. I know the baseball players devote countless hours in the fall even after season ends working on their hitting, I can't see where a guy that only plays in spring can perform at the plate hitting. It's such a tough thing to do and only try doing it half a year and competing with high level players playing year round is doubly tough.

Anyway, I wish him luck and it'll be interesting to follow. On a similar note, with the status of Kyler Murray still tepid, he'd be in same position. A long with being one of the top rated QB's in high school, he's also a potential high draft pick in baseball. He's a middle infielder and exceptional. This summer he was selected as the first ever two sport Under Armour All American. I'm sure he'd want to continue playing both sports where ever he ends up.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

sheldon's kellen strahm, an all-state OF from sheldon high, is going to walk on with the baseball team next year. good player, surprised we were able to get him as a preferred walk-on.
ImageImageImageImageImage
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:sheldon's kellen strahm, an all-state OF from sheldon high, is going to walk on with the baseball team next year. good player, surprised we were able to get him as a preferred walk-on.
He went to school and is good friends with current Ducks pitcher Cooper Stiles, who's dad is also the pitching coach for Oregon. I'm sure that relationship is what really paid off in this case.