Ducks hire Cal State-Fullerton's Dietrich, promote Uhlman

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Ducks hire Cal State-Fullerton's Dietrich, promote Uhlman

Post by greenyellow »

Surprised that no one posted this back when it was first announced in early July, but Oregon has hired Cal State-Fullerton's pitching coach Jason Dietrich to take the same position on Horton's staff while also promoting Jay Uhlman to Associate Head Coach. Dietrich is one of the top up-and-coming pitching coaches in the nation and will also take control of Oregon's recruiting as the new recruiting coordinator. With Uhlman, he's adding hitting coordinator to the list of his many duties on the staff.

http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/7/1/ba ... moted.aspx

http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/2016 ... make-mark/
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: Ducks hire Cal State-Fullerton's Dietrich, promote Uhlma

Post by oregontrack »

when i read that i figured horton just hired his eventual replacement. i know we all like checketts, but i think horton sticks around longer than checketts stays at UCSB (i realize checketts just signed an extension).

this is great news, though. no offense to mitch karraker, but i was not impressed with how *any* of the starters performed last year, and i think the position was slightly more than karraker could handle. we really missed stiles. it'll be nice to get a new voice in there... peterson can be a legitimate friday night guy with the right coach, and in addition to the incoming freshmen, we had some intriguing sophomores-to-be that had some nice stuff that quality coaching should be able to iron our some kinks (mercer, robeniol, carranza, stringer, bennett).
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Our starting pitchers should have dominated last season, so any change sounds good to me at this point.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

While I like the new pitching coach, I don't know how to justify promoting the hitting coordinator after last year...
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

shoparound wrote:While I like the new pitching coach, I don't know how to justify promoting the hitting coordinator after last year...
Wasikowski was the hitting coordinator while Uhlman was mainly their head scout/infield and 3rd base coach who assisted Wasikowski as assistant hitting coach. It sounds like Horton will take a more hands-on approach with the offense this season. I haven't seen who'll be working with the outfielders so I assume it'll fall to either Horton or possibly another volunteer assistant who hasn't been named yet.
uosportsguy01
Two Star Recruit

Post by uosportsguy01 »

Speaking of Horton, any news on his contract? It's up at the end of this season and I haven't heard anything about extension. 5 years ago, much talk at this time as he was in same position and much chatter about numbers, etc, however this time it's all been silent.
oregontrack wrote:when i read that i figured horton just hired his eventual replacement. i know we all like checketts, but i think horton sticks around longer than checketts stays at UCSB (i realize checketts just signed an extension).

this is great news, though. no offense to mitch karraker, but i was not impressed with how *any* of the starters performed last year, and i think the position was slightly more than karraker could handle. we really missed stiles. it'll be nice to get a new voice in there... peterson can be a legitimate friday night guy with the right coach, and in addition to the incoming freshmen, we had some intriguing sophomores-to-be that had some nice stuff that quality coaching should be able to iron our some kinks (mercer, robeniol, carranza, stringer, bennett).