Oregon Softball

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Re: Oregon Softball

Post by UofDuck »

oregontrack wrote:unlike last year, where only two pac-12 teams were seeded and the ncaa suspiciously pitted them against one another in the supers, five pac teams are seeded this year and only two (#6 wash, #11 utah) would meet if things go chalk. we can really pack OKC with west coast teams this year.
Good intel. Thanks.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Real softball fans out there, do the lady Ducks have a legitimate shot this year? I know they can win it all, but are they truly a legit contender? Sorry, I don't follow softball well enough to know how good we really are.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

This season the Ducks (47-6) feature one of the top pitching staffs in the nation and all three arms were honored by the conference. Balint's 1.13 ERA ranks second in the Pac-12 while Kleist's 1.26 ERA is fourth in the league. Elish is sixth with a 1.61 ERA. Individually, all three ERAs rank in the top-50 nationally. As a group, the staff leads the Pac-12 with a 1.31 ERA, which ranks fifth in the NCAA.

I thought the last few years they had a legit chance and it hasn't happened, but I think this year has a decent chance. The offense is as powerful in the past, but have more speed so they get more slap hits and more steals. It will come down to if they can get the big timely hits that they haven't been lucky enough to get the last few years.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UofDuck wrote:Real softball fans out there, do the lady Ducks have a legitimate shot this year? I know they can win it all, but are they truly a legit contender? Sorry, I don't follow softball well enough to know how good we really are.
Was supposed to be a rebuild year, ended as a reload instead. The hope is the youth will be naive enough to not feel the pressure and have some success against the top pitching where Oregon has always struggled.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

pudgejeff wrote:
UofDuck wrote:Real softball fans out there, do the lady Ducks have a legitimate shot this year? I know they can win it all, but are they truly a legit contender? Sorry, I don't follow softball well enough to know how good we really are.
Was supposed to be a rebuild year, ended as a reload instead. The hope is the youth will be naive enough to not feel the pressure and have some success against the top pitching where Oregon has always struggled.
Yes, that would be great. Personally, based on their hitting struggles in the late postseason, I just feel like their pitching is going to have to be near flawless to have any real chance at winning it all.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i don't feel the offense this year is anywhere near as good as the last few; we're going to need lilly and a few others to really step it up. i know people think we got our swagger back after sweeping florida state, but florida state would finish 5th in the pac-12. the acc is nonsense. our uglier 3-6 stretch against ucla, washington, and arizona is probably a bit more indicative of the caliber of opposition we'd be facing in OKC.

but, you just have to get hot for a week. you never know. it will certainly help having more than one pitcher you can count on. in the past we went as jessice moore or cheridan hawkins went. now we have options.
Last edited by oregontrack on Tue May 16, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:i don't feel the offense this year is anywhere near as good as the last few; we're going to need lilly and a few others to really step it up. i know people think we got our swagger back after sweeping florida state, but florida state would finish 5th in the pac-12. the acc is nonsense. our uglier 2-6 stretch against ucla, washington, and arizona is probably a bit more indicative of the caliber of opposition we'd be facing in OKC.

but, you just have to get hot for a week. you never know. it will certainly help having more than one pitcher you can count on. in the past we went as jessice moore or cheridan hawkins went. now we have options.
I agree completely, especially about the benefit of actually having a pitching rotation instead of one Ace. The offense is not as potent as it has been the last couple of seasons though Shannon Rhodes has come on really strong at the plate in the last month, while after having a streak of 43 consecutive games of getting on base snapped, SS, Nicky Udria has been in a bit of a slump the last couple of games. Koral Costa and Janelle Lindvall are missed, while Alexis Mack has fit in as a slap hitter for Alyssa Gilespie
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Ducks completely outclass UIC, run rule victory in 5 innings 13-0. Balint CG shutout. UIC looked pretty rattled, committing high school type errors on routine plays. Next up Wisconsin.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine