World Series: Oregon vs Washington

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

World Series: Oregon vs Washington

Post by Merganzer »

Double elimination : the Ducks are in Bracket ll. First game is Thursday against Washington, the other teams in the bracket are Baylor and Oklahoma. The winner of Bracket ll will meet the winner of Bracket l, Florida, Texas A & M, UCLA and LSU, in the championship.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket ... ll/d1/2017
UofDuck
Senior

Ducks in WCWS

Post by UofDuck »

So, I think I've got this: if we win, we stay in the winner's bracket and play the other winner. The two losers play and one is then eliminated. The loser of the 2nd winner's bracket then plays the winner of the 2nd loser's bracket and that loser goes home. The winner of that game lives to play the remaining team in the winners bracket, but they'l have one loss already, so they'll have to win two games in a row against the remaining undefeated team to advance. Wow, that was a personal mental exercise for me that you had to suffer thru.
greenyellow

Re: Ducks in WCWS

Post by greenyellow »

UofDuck wrote:So, I think I've got this: if we win, we stay in the winner's bracket and play the other winner. The two losers play and one is then eliminated. The loser of the 2nd winner's bracket then plays the winner of the 2nd loser's bracket and that loser goes home. The winner of that game lives to play the remaining team in the winners bracket, but they'l have one loss already, so they'll have to win two games in a row against the remaining undefeated team to advance. Wow, that was a personal mental exercise for me that you had to suffer thru.
The brackets act just like the regionals due to the double-elimination, 4-team format with the final essentially being like the super regionals, where it's a best-of-three series.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: World Series: Oregon vs Washington

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Well looks like the Huskies have the umps in their back pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nogerO
Senior

I'm sorry

Post by nogerO »

White might be a great coach, but his decisions with base runners are eye catchingly poor. No patience and constantly running the team out of scores with bad decisions. Frustrating to watch.
Last edited by nogerO on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

Seriously, I don't get all this stealing and bunting.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

disagree. stealing bases is oregon's game. washington made a few great defensive plays, but neither decision to attempt to swipe 2B was a bad one. we are not an extra-base hitting team. we are a team of fast singles hitters, if we want to score against a pitcher like this who's clearly on her A game we need to get a runner in scoring position so a softly hit single can plate a run. washington just made better plays.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ducks10
Four Star Recruit

Post by Ducks10 »

and that'll probably do it. Oh well.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

lost 3-1. we have the pitching to go through the losers bracket, but I'm not sure how many runs we're going to plate against quality pitching.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Have they won a game in the World Series in recent history? Seems like every time they get there they lose the first two games and are out.

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

2012: L arizona state, W tennessee, L cal
2014: W florida state, L florida, W oklahoma, L alabama
2015: L ucla, L alabama
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

oregontrack wrote:2012: L arizona state, W tennessee, L cal
2014: W florida state, L florida, W oklahoma, L alabama
2015: L ucla, L alabama
Gotcha, so they have a couple. Thanks!

UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Fricken Poodles
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Groundhog Day. Watching the same thing every time we reach the WCWS is getting old.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

oregontrack wrote:disagree. stealing bases is oregon's game. washington made a few great defensive plays, but neither decision to attempt to swipe 2B was a bad one. we are not an extra-base hitting team. we are a team of fast singles hitters, if we want to score against a pitcher like this who's clearly on her A game we need to get a runner in scoring position so a softly hit single can plate a run. washington just made better plays.
Yes during the regular season that was their game. But against the top teams in the country, especially one that has a catcher with a gun for an arm, it might be prudent to play it a little closer the vest. We're probably not going to rattle these teams with our pushing constantly on the base paths. Both of those thrown out runners were out by a mile and it probably cost us at least a run and maybe more, possible the game. Time for the coach to make some adjustments. We have the pitching, we just need to be a lot smarter about our offensive strategy.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine