Re: horton is going to be extended

Post by Alan »

oregontrack wrote:it's the right call.
Is it, not sure?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i've been arguing with people on educk about this for a few weeks so if anyone's been reading their baseball forum, you'll have heard this before.

we are a northern, poor weather state. set aside oregon state, and the last northern, poor weather state to win the CWS is minnesota in 1964. set aside oregon state, and the last northern, poor weather state to make it to omaha was maine in 1986, 31 years ago. duck fans look at our program and say things like "horton hasn't even got us to omaha yet" as if it were easy, and they say that because:

1. oregon state has warped a lot of people's expectations of the sport. duck fans see oregon state, who isn't good at *anything*, building this little powerhouse of a baseball program in corvallis and assume anyone can do it, but it's not that easy. oregon state is a huge anomaly that just so happens to exist forty minutes away. literally no other northern school is doing what they're doing. all the credit to pat casey.

2. they look at the success of the softball team and assume baseball should be doing that, too. the key difference: if you're an elite softball recruit, you go play for a major conference school. in baseball, you either go pro or you go play somewhere warm. softball isn't competing with schools like fullerton or long beach or irvine or a million other smaller, warm weather schools for recruits. if you're a really good high school hitter, you have almost zero incentive to come play for oregon. the weather sucks, and you have an even better chance of competing for a national championship at a school like fullerton. nicer weather, better program. easy choice.

my concern with letting horton leave is that he's a respected pitching guru, and elite high school pitchers want to play for him. we're a school with a large pitcher's ballpark in a wet weather state, we're *never* going to hit our way to omaha. never, ever, ever, ever. if you take horton out of the equation, and we stop landing these highly touted pitching prospects, it's entirely possible we become washington state, a team that starts every season knowing they have no chance since they never have the pitching to compete. just like there's no reason for a really good high school hitter to sign here, there's no reason for an elite HS pitcher to come here either without the right coach.

basically i'm saying we'll need to hit a home run with horton's eventual replacement. maybe it's as easy as hiring checketts. maybe it's not. i'm just afraid the odds of sliding into irrelevancy are very good if we don't make the right choice. now, you might say we're already at the corner of irrelevancy considering we've missed the postseason the last two years, but i think if you researched how many northern schools have had 8 consecutive winning seasons and have made the postseason in 5 of those 8 years the list you'll come up with is very small. oregon state, naturally. us. maybe michigan? possibly uconn. can't think of any others off the top of my head.
ImageImageImageImageImage
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Well if that's true, I don't think the bad part is resigning Horton as much as it is that they're resigning him for less money. Has anyone heard of someone that got demoted or a pay decrease and didn't lose a bunch of motivation to perform well at their job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

when ego and legacy are involved, sure.
ImageImageImageImageImage
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Is Horton resigning or resigning?? So confuseled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Works for me. I feel like he recruits pretty well, just need some good position coaches to help player development.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13