Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Softball: Super Regional (vs Kentucky)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Thursday - 6 PM (ESPN2)
Friday - 8 PM ( ESPN2)
Saturday (if needed) - 6 PM (ESPN)

Kentucky ran through their regional. Should be a fun series!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Softball: Super Regional (vs Kentucky)

Post by Merganzer »

Kentucky went 28-1 in their 3 games, Oregon was 12-0. Last season the Ducks beat the Wildcats, 4-0 and 6-5 in the Super Regional's.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Game times:

Thursday - 6 PM (ESPN2)
Friday - 8 PM ( ESPN2)
Saturday (if needed) - 6 PM (ESPN)
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

if memory serves we were down 5-2 going into the 7th of G2 and had to rally for 4 runs to get the win. that wasn’t an easy super regional sweep.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:if memory serves we were down 5-2 going into the 7th of G2 and had to rally for 4 runs to get the win. that wasn’t an easy super regional sweep.
You recall correctly: http://goducks.com/news/2017/5/27/softb ... o-okc.aspx

Danica Mercado lofted a single into short right field to open the inning, and Alexis Mack followed with Oregon's fifth infield hit of the game. Gwen Svekis walked to load the bases, and Nikki Udria — who lined out to end game three against UCLA last spring — grounded a single up the middle to plate two runs.

"Last year against UCLA, the person I wanted up was Nikki Udria," White said. "She's the kid you want up in those situations."

A bunt by freshman Shannon Rhodes moved up both runners, but also left the Ducks down to their final two outs. Next up came Mia Camuso, the first baseman who just barely missed fielding the two-run single that put Kentucky up 5-2 in the sixth.

Now it was 5-4, and Camuso had a chance for redemption. This time, the game of inches played in her favor — Camuso lofted a hit into left field that landed just inside the foul line, and just out of the Kentucky outfielder's reach.

Two more runs scored, and Oregon had its first lead of the day — the only lead that mattered.

"It was pretty special to get that hit," said Camuso, who was 1-for-11 in the postseason prior that that at-bat. "I'd been struggling a little bit. You've just got to keep swinging and pull through. I was just glad I got to do that for my team."

Also, Oregon was the visiting team in the game so they had to shut Kentucky down in the bottom of the 7th.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

One thing that is slightly concerning to me is the amount of offense for the Ducks in the Regional. They scored 4, 5 and 3 runs, respectively, in the three games. Given how good the Drake pitcher is, the Ducks' offensive output in their last two games probably should be regarded as just fine. But they only scored 4 against Albany, whereas BYU scored 16 against them. It may be nothing, but they may need every ounce of the stellar pitching from Elish and Kleist to achieve their goals this year. Lack of offense has always seemed to be the Ducks' big bugaboo in the postseason; but even then they've consistently scored more prolifically in the Regionals under White before this year.
Last edited by Greenblood on Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

it's hard to say without knowing too much about albany. we got their ace, who was the american east pitcher of the year. byu got a different pitcher, and they bombed her for 6 runs in less than an inning. since the game was effectively over after the first inning i don't know how much of what came after that was just the snowball effect of albany giving up.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

oregontrack wrote:it's hard to say without knowing too much about albany. we got their ace, who was the american east pitcher of the year. byu got a different pitcher, and they bombed her for 6 runs in less than an inning. since the game was effectively over after the first inning i don't know how much of what came after that was just the snowball effect of albany giving up.
Thanks. I hadn't done my research on the Albany pitchers. Guess I would have figured Albany would have re-used their ace in the must-win second game, but obviously not.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Sitting here at the Jane with the Ducks down 9-5 in the bottom of the sixth. Pretty amazing to see Kentucky tee off on our pitchers. If the home plate ump hadn't had such a tight strike zone early, the Ducks might not have had many runs scored on them. But one never wants to make excuses.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

A very uncharacteristic game for the Ducks. Obviously the pitching was off, but more than that, the Ducks just looked like they weren't ready. Kentucky was, 3 runs in the first inning. The home plate ump had his moments. I'm not up on the rule book, so I'm not sure that a player can be ejected for losing her grip on a bat. He did give the Ducks their last run, Sanders was out.
The Ducks never looked comfortable at the plate, in particular, Lauren Lindvall swung at several pitches that were so far outside her bat had no chance of reaching the ball, and she had a couple of "What?" plays in the field. On the good side, Haley Cruse is looking like she will definitely be a star next season. AS for tomorrow; obviously the pressure is on the Ducks, but I feel like they can get the batting and fielding together, and Miranda Elish is who I want in the circle.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Well as usual Oregon peaks right before postseason play. They put themselves in a hole. Part of me wonders if Mike White puts too much pressure on the team going into the postseason, they just don’t seem like the same team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Rough start and could never get over the hump.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Well as usual Oregon peaks right before postseason play. They put themselves in a hole. Part of me wonders if Mike White puts too much pressure on the team going into the postseason, they just don’t seem like the same team.

Can't you save the doom for football to give the sky a break? Falling is hard work...
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Wildcats bats were hot las time night, Ducks were off some. As someone stated (I don't know player name) one gal was swinging a pitches so far outside it was...... well the ball was still about a foot off the end of her bat. The home plate ump was equally off for both teams, our last run was out at home, tagged on her butt, hard to see for the plate ump but I think the third base ump should have caught it. I thinks the Ducks will come out more discipline and on their game tonight and take the series at home.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Bigwaved wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Well as usual Oregon peaks right before postseason play. They put themselves in a hole. Part of me wonders if Mike White puts too much pressure on the team going into the postseason, they just don’t seem like the same team.

Can't you save the doom for football to give the sky a break? Falling is hard work...
You get so excited when I post don’t you?