Mike White gone. Texas

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Mike White gone. Texas

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:i didn't get the impression from white in the article that oregon didn't support him or the program. it just sounds like they didn't want to pay a million dollars a year to a coach in a non-revenue sport.

i believe arizona's mike candrea is the pac-12's highest paid coach @ $345k/year. i think mike white was due $245k next year; you can argue he deserved a raise, but candrea has also won eight national championships.
Based on what I could find, the going rate for most championship winning coaches is between $225K-$350K. It sounds like Texas was throwing a ridiculous amount of money to any coach they offered because they're trying to jumpstart their softball program so they can compete with Oklahoma, which led to them overpaying for a coach who's never won a title. I know some fans are upset that Mullens didn't fight to keep him, but Oregon was not going to get in a bidding war when a decent softball coach can be had for so much less.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

oregontrack wrote:i didn't get the impression from white in the article that oregon didn't support him or the program. it just sounds like they didn't want to pay a million dollars a year to a coach in a non-revenue sport.

i believe arizona's mike candrea is the pac-12's highest paid coach @ $345k/year. i think mike white was due $245k next year; you can argue he deserved a raise, but candrea has also won eight national championships.
Yeah, I don't get a feeling of not supporting him, the program, "The Jane" is recognized as being in place with the rest of Oregon's stadia, and per Pac-12 he was in the upper tier of Softball coaches. So, I don't think it was a matter of Oregon didn't understand the pull of Texas. Oregon wasn't going to pay him $900k, Texas was, so he went to Texas.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

So it appears the $750-900K figure that he was rumored to have gotten at Texas was a bit high as it's been confirmed he's getting $450K per year but with big incentives that could drive that figure to nearly $600K. Pretty big figure for someone who's not even won a NC like the handful of other softball coaches who have salaries in that range.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

I think this makes all the parties looking more responsible in their actions. The Texas offer was a substantial increase over what Oregon was going to pay, but not ridiculously so. Have fun in the Orange, Mike