New volunteer assistant for softball

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

maxduck
Senior

New volunteer assistant for softball

Post by maxduck »

Impressive bio.

EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon softball head coach Melyssa Lombardi bolstered her coaching staff on Wednesday with the addition of former four-time all-American and 2016 national player of the year Sierra Romero as the Ducks' volunteer assistant coach.

Romero, the first four-time all-American in Michigan program history from 2013 to 2016, joins the Ducks after dominating for the National Pro Fastpitch's USSSA Pride over the last three summers.

https://goducks.com/news/2018/8/15/form ... staff.aspx
gogreen55
Senior

Re: New volunteer assistant for softball

Post by gogreen55 »

Hard to imagine getting a more accomplished former player as a volunteer assistant. This staff is shaping up very nicely on paper.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kinda surprised they got a volunteer assistant before having all the full-time assistants in place but I guess this isn't a bad one to get. From the press release, we now know the connection between her and Lombardi:

"She has two sisters and one brother, and her younger sister, Sydney, played under Lombardi for three years at Oklahoma and will be a junior for the Sooners in 2018."
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

great hire by Melyssa, now need a MIRACLE and get the younger sister at Oklahoma now haha. I would like for Janie to come but I don't know how many volunteer she will hire.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I agree that it was a great "volunteer" hire. I realize she took the job to try to break into coaching but I have to wonder what the job comes with, on campus job? Room and board? Her living expenses have to come from somewhere.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Alan wrote:I agree that it was a great "volunteer" hire. I realize she took the job to try to break into coaching but I have to wonder what the job comes with, on campus job? Room and board? Her living expenses have to come from somewhere.
Some are saying that she'll likely make the bulk of her money from when they do softball camps but that she's basically a graduate assistant and compensated as such. She's also continuing her pro and Team USA softball careers so the job comes with a bit of flexibility that a full-time assistant job wouldn't typically allow.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:
Alan wrote:I agree that it was a great "volunteer" hire. I realize she took the job to try to break into coaching but I have to wonder what the job comes with, on campus job? Room and board? Her living expenses have to come from somewhere.
Some are saying that she'll likely make the bulk of her money from when they do softball camps but that she's basically a graduate assistant and compensated as such. She's also continuing her pro and Team USA softball careers so the job comes with a bit of flexibility that a full-time assistant job wouldn't typically allow.

Thank you, makes more sense.