SB P Miranda Elish transferring

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

SB P Miranda Elish transferring

Post by greenyellow »

JR P Miranda Elish announced she is transferring from the Oregon SB program, leaving them with Kleist and Balint as the only pitchers on the roster. Wouldn't be shocked to see her join Mike White at Texas.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Re: SB P Miranda Elish transferring

Post by oregontrack »

lauren burke is gone, too.

elish is a brutal hit. i realize kleist won pac-12 pitcher of the year, but elish was our best pitcher.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Dang, that tweet reads like she didn't mesh with the new coach at all
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

oregontrack wrote:lauren burke is gone, too.

elish is a brutal hit. i realize kleist won pac-12 pitcher of the year, but elish was our best pitcher.
It's going to be hard to replace her production. She showed why she was considered the #1 pitcher coming out of HS. Balint is really going to have to step up and prove she's over the injury problems from last year.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Duck07 wrote:Dang, that tweet reads like she didn't mesh with the new coach at all
It definitely does, Elish in particular because of Lombardi's background being primarily pitching. White did have a particular style w/pitchers. It's harder to see why Burke felt leaving was her best option.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

According to someone on DT who says they have connections within the SB program, there's a real possibility there's another transfer or two since as is typical when there's a coaching change, they're having some compatibility issues with the current players and the new coaches. Throw in the new transfer rules that took effect this week (schools/coaches no longer able to block transfers) and there's going to be a lot of player movement. Oregon may benefit from this rule eventually but it's looking like they're seeing the negative effects of the new rule right now and it could potentially be a hard season if they have any more defections from major contributors.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Women's track, basketball and softball have all lost multiple impact athletes this year.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

This stuff is pretty distressing. Elish was one of the faces of the program and was pitching great in those recent fall games. Local girl Burke's leaving seems even more bizarre. If they're both fleeing to White in Texas, that makes his departure even worse than I thought at the time.

If there's some kind of personality conflict with Lombardi, that's obviously unfortunate, but she still has the right and opportunity to shape the program as she sees fit. But I would hope that Mullens has been on top of this situation to make sure he didn't make some awful mistake in hiring Lombardi.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

Based on M4Dux's post on DT, it sounds like Lombardi brought with her some puritanical values with regard to how the women on the team dress themselves. I wouldn't want to play for a coach who oversteps her boundaries and institutes a dress code predicated on her moral judgments. What a sad state of affairs the softball program has become. I won't root for Lombardi as coach.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'm going to withhold judgement of the program based on M4Dux's posts since his info is not always accurate. Just in his stuff about the SB program, he said that Kleist suffered a major arm injury in Team USA tryouts, yet a GoDucks.com press release said she never went to said tryouts and has pitched just fine in their fall games so far.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

greenyellow wrote:I'm going to withhold judgement of the program based on M4Dux's posts since his info is not always accurate. Just in his stuff about the SB program, he said that Kleist suffered a major arm injury in Team USA tryouts, yet a GoDucks.com press release said she never went to said tryouts and has pitched just fine in their fall games so far.
I'm ready to believe it. Two players like Burke and Elish don't just up and transfer after starting their quarter and participating in fall ball if there wasn't something up with this. As well, the specific nature of the rumor leads to incredulity that it would be made up, especially when other specific accusations are leveled regarding the same theme. There's nothing I can't stand more than a moral authoritarian abusing power. Seriously, if I were AD I would fire her.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

AshlandDuck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:I'm going to withhold judgement of the program based on M4Dux's posts since his info is not always accurate. Just in his stuff about the SB program, he said that Kleist suffered a major arm injury in Team USA tryouts, yet a GoDucks.com press release said she never went to said tryouts and has pitched just fine in their fall games so far.
I'm ready to believe it. Two players like Burke and Elish don't just up and transfer after starting their quarter and participating in fall ball if there wasn't something up with this. As well, the specific nature of the rumor leads to incredulity that it would be made up, especially when other specific accusations are leveled regarding the same theme. There's nothing I can't stand more than a moral authoritarian abusing power. Seriously, if I were AD I would fire her.
Just because she's setting guidelines for how she wants her players to act/dress doesn't mean she's abusing her power. Her style is a little more regimented and possibly demanding than White's so some players will adapt better than others. Firing her for implementing new team rules would be beyond stupid.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

AshlandDuck wrote:Based on M4Dux's post on DT, it sounds like Lombardi brought with her some puritanical values with regard to how the women on the team dress themselves. I wouldn't want to play for a coach who oversteps her boundaries and institutes a dress code predicated on her moral judgments. What a sad state of affairs the softball program has become. I won't root for Lombardi as coach.
Some coaches want more professional dress standards while on team business. Why the outrage?
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

I find it reprehensible that Lombardi would suggest to the players that their upbringing was somehow defective because they choose to wear "stretch pants". I find it reprehensible that a coach would feel like she has the moral authority to tell other women how to dress outside of basketball activities. I find anyone justifying this behavior to be of particular annoyance. This isn't a private school, it's a public school. Check your puritan/religious value system at the door.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

AshlandDuck wrote:I find it reprehensible that Lombardi would suggest to the players that their upbringing was somehow defective because they choose to wear "stretch pants". I find it reprehensible that a coach would feel like she has the moral authority to tell other women how to dress outside of basketball activities. I find anyone justifying this behavior to be of particular annoyance. This isn't a private school, it's a public school. Check your puritan/religious value system at the door.
And once again, you're basing all of this on unsubstantiated rumors. How about hold your fire until we get something a bit more concrete?