Ducks SB moves up in polls

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Ducks SB moves up in polls

Post by greenyellow »

After going 5-0 on the opening weekend, Oregon is up to #19 in the latest USA Today/NFCA Top 25 poll. Some other sites have Oregon at 18 and 20 so this ranking is the average for them of the 3 polls/rankings I've seen.
nogerO
Senior

Re: Ducks SB moves up in polls

Post by nogerO »

That's great and all, but...same people who are ranking women's basketball must be doing softball as well. Oregon completely blows up the furd women by 40 points at Maples and Stanford rises one spot in the polls? Not saying it isn't nice that the women get some early season props but I'm guess it won't last long. Hope I'm wrong, but with our shaky pitching staff it will be tough to continue winning at a high percentage...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm still having a tough time imagining that without an ace and multiple positions filled by club players this team won't get eaten alive in Pac-12 play. Happy to see the fast start, anyhow.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm still having a tough time imagining that without an ace and multiple positions filled by club players this team won't get eaten alive in Pac-12 play. Happy to see the fast start, anyhow.
They've got enough scholarship players to fill all 9 defensive positions and the DH in the batting lineup; they just don't have any on the bench for substitutions who are scholarship players. If they had McGowan and Kaboli-Nejad available, they'd have 2 scholarship players who could be substitutes.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

greenyellow wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I'm still having a tough time imagining that without an ace and multiple positions filled by club players this team won't get eaten alive in Pac-12 play. Happy to see the fast start, anyhow.
They've got enough scholarship players to fill all 9 defensive positions and the DH in the batting lineup; they just don't have any on the bench for substitutions who are scholarship players. If they had McGowan and Kaboli-Nejad available, they'd have 2 scholarship players who could be substitutes.
I'm pretty sure only scholarship players have played defensive positions. A couple of the walkons were dh. Utecht, Burks, Bowden, Cid, and Sievers were all top 20 recruits. Bunker and Wagner were 73 and 96. Not sure about Cruze, but she was high. Galey is the only one not to be a top 100 recruit. Probably because she attended a smaller school and went under the radar. Her HS numbers were great and she has power. Pitching depth is our problem. Dail seems to be decent when she isn't tired. MacGrandle has to improve. Next year we get Makenna K. Also the girl from Oregon, who wasn't recruited as a pitcher, but had good HS record as a Jr. Can't remember her name right now.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Her name is Ariel Carlson. 22-2 and 1.09 ERA as JR. #21 recruit. Future looks good.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duck58 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
I'm pretty sure only scholarship players have played defensive positions. A couple of the walkons were dh. Utecht, Burks, Bowden, Cid, and Sievers were all top 20 recruits. Bunker and Wagner were 73 and 96. Not sure about Cruze, but she was high. Galey is the only one not to be a top 100 recruit. Probably because she attended a smaller school and went under the radar. Her HS numbers were great and she has power. Pitching depth is our problem. Dail seems to be decent when she isn't tired. MacGrandle has to improve. Next year we get Makenna K. Also the girl from Oregon, who wasn't recruited as a pitcher, but had good HS record as a Jr. Can't remember her name right now.
Once Sievers played against Seattle at SS, Utetcht went over to the DH with Bunker moving to 2B and Bowden playing C, thus allowing the entire offensive and defensive lineups to be scholarship players.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Win vs #9 LSU should move the zombie softball team up even higher in the rankings. I've began to wonder if some girls just took their ball and went home, when Lombardi told them they didn't have a guaranteed starting spot. I mean, who would have beat out Cid? The Fr have all been really good so far.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

So far, I say Bowden has been the MVP, she's batting .407, and while catching has made some excellent plays, very good at throwing out attempted steals. Sievers also has been great; she missed the first couple of games, but since playing is hitting .667, 3 runs, 5 RBI.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

buckmarkduck wrote:Win vs #9 LSU should move the zombie softball team up even higher in the rankings. I've began to wonder if some girls just took their ball and went home, when Lombardi told them they didn't have a guaranteed starting spot. I mean, who would have beat out Cid? The Fr have all been really good so far.
I'm curious, are the Freshmen White's recruits or are they Lombardi's recruits. I am not sure how that all played out.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

RanDux wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Win vs #9 LSU should move the zombie softball team up even higher in the rankings. I've began to wonder if some girls just took their ball and went home, when Lombardi told them they didn't have a guaranteed starting spot. I mean, who would have beat out Cid? The Fr have all been really good so far.
I'm curious, are the Freshmen White's recruits or are they Lombardi's recruits. I am not sure how that all played out.
All the FR were ones that White recruited but stayed even through the coaching change. The 2019 recruiting class is also all White-recruited players, although a couple had decommitted after he left but came back around to Oregon. Recruiting in SB is strange in that most top-level players typically commit as FR or SO in HS so it takes a lot for players to break commitments. Lombardi likely won't fully have recruits of her own (meaning not recruited all by White to Oregon) until 2022 or 2023. The NCAA is changing it so SB recruiting can't really start until after a player's SO HS year, putting it more in line with other sports like FB and BB.