UO gets jc walkon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

UO gets jc walkon

Post by buckmarkduck »

Matt is reporting that we got a 6'11 walkon to round out the class who avg 3.5 blocks a game last year.

http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/Juc ... r-UO-27810
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: UO gets jc walkon

Post by duckgrad99 »

Interesting. Hope he can come in and play defense and block some shots.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

A practice player. He'll replace Martin S, but won't be given a scholarship to wave a towel on the bench. Olu and Emory will frequently dunk on him in practice.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Interesting that he turned down a couple scholarships to come out here as a walk-on.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

I don't remember the last time we had a walk-on big man.
ImageImageImageImageImage
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

uostudent wrote:A practice player. He'll replace Martin S, but won't be given a scholarship to wave a towel on the bench. Olu and Emory will frequently dunk on him in practice.
Probably true but one thing you can't teach is height. Remember James Donaldson at WSU during the '70's, the huge 7'2" center coach George Raveling recruited "because he looks good in the airport". He had trouble walking onto the court his freshman year but went on to spend 12-15 years in the NBA.

Didn't I read the kid is a former soccer player (as you know that is often improves footwork) with only a few years in basketball? Assuming he is will work hard and has 3 to play 2 he might develop into a serviceable player
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

uostudent wrote:A practice player. He'll replace Martin S, but won't be given a scholarship to wave a towel on the bench. Olu and Emory will frequently dunk on him in practice.

Martin ws the worst player I have seen at UO, so he's got to be better than that (and it doesn't cost us a thing). It also seems he can play some D so I don't think he'll be getting dunked on all practice, it sounds like his O is the problem. I would guess any further than 3 feet from the basket and it's not going in.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think Altman just found his designated hacker on defense. Every team needs one of those.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

It's just nice to have some height that actually can play some basketball. Who knows, maybe he'll see a some minutes down the road. You can't teach height.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13