Sumlin to aTm

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Sumlin to aTm

Post by greenyellow »

Kevin Sumlin is now the coach at Texas A&M. With his offense and him most likely bringing in his own staff, this hire could help Oregon with a couple aTm recruits, namely Trey Williams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... &eref=sihp
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Sumlin to aTm

Post by buckmarkduck »

Interesting he is such a hot name right now, but on the A&M site there sure is a lot of people not happy with his hire. They claim he was fired as an oline coach there before, and they don't want him back. I sure hope this helps us with Trey, but I'm not betting on it or holding my breath. I give it us a 15% chance here.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:Interesting he is such a hot name right now, but on the A&M site there sure is a lot of people not happy with his hire. They claim he was fired as an oline coach there when he coached there before and they don't want him. I sure hope this helps us with Trey, but I'm not betting on it or holding my breath. I give it us a 15% chance here.
I think if they retain the previous RB coach, who has been the main one recruiting Williams, then almost no chance he comes here. As far Sumlin, he sure doesn't seem to be the popular pick right now. At this point, I don't know who else they could have gotten that wouldn't just be a retread from another program. Seems like they wanted someone without a lot of head coaching baggage and was sort of the hot name. I'm sure Sumlin's style works in Conf. USA but it will probably have to really be tweaked to succeed in the SEC.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I think their problem is, is that he was on a staff at A&M that couldn't win while they where in charge. It would be the same as if UCLA fired Ricky, then 4 years later they hire whoever his oline coach was to be HC.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:I think their problem is, is that he was on a staff at A&M that couldn't win while they where in charge. It would be the same as if UCLA fired Ricky, then 4 years later they hire whoever his oline coach was to be HC.
Your logic doesn't make sense. It would be like UCLA firing the Weas and Mora retaining the OL coach in your scenario, what does 4 years from now have to do with a recruit committing, you dig? So, it is very reasonable to expect that Sumlin might keep the RB coach on staff regardless of what occurred under Sherman. You don't always throw the baby out with the bath water. Now, I don't know anything about the coach so I can't speculate, but no reason to think that he's gone just because Sherman sucked it up.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Because he was an assistant under Slocum, not Sherman. And was fired with the rest of the staff.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Because he was an assistant under Franchione, not Sherman.
It still doesn't make any sense. What if something had happened and we had to fire MB and then when we hired Chip he sucked it up instead and we had to fire him last week? Should a new coach automatically fire Gary Campbell because the team underperformed and the HC were canned?
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

I think its because most A&M fans seem to be beyond entitled and probably thought they needed Belichick or something. A&M seems to think they're still at the top of the college football spectrum....which is funny considering how shitty they have been for quite some time now.