Jeremy Lin

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Jeremy Lin

Post by greenyellow »

squintsdd wrote:Lol, unless someone said that that was intended because he's Asian, I think that has more to do with someone not thinking before they wrote the headline. One could argue that actually it's not about race because the writer wasn't thinking about Lin being Chinese when he wrote it. Unfortunately people see racism when it's not there. Sometimes a coincidental screw up is just that. I admit that the photo seems a little too coincidental, but I can't imagine someone would be dumb enough to intentionally put that up on Espn, for millions to see, with the intent of it to be racist.
I don't think it was being overtly racist but I think the intent of the headline was to use use "chink" as sort of a pun related to Lin's heritage. There are hundreds of better headlines they could have come up with to describe his play against New Orleans.

Edit: Looks like the writer of the headline got fired and the anchor who said it on air got a 30-day suspension.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/ ... n-comments
squintsdd
Sophomore

Re: Jeremy Lin

Post by squintsdd »

greenyellow wrote:
squintsdd wrote:Lol, unless someone said that that was intended because he's Asian, I think that has more to do with someone not thinking before they wrote the headline. One could argue that actually it's not about race because the writer wasn't thinking about Lin being Chinese when he wrote it. Unfortunately people see racism when it's not there. Sometimes a coincidental screw up is just that. I admit that the photo seems a little too coincidental, but I can't imagine someone would be dumb enough to intentionally put that up on Espn, for millions to see, with the intent of it to be racist.
I don't think it was being overtly racist but I think the intent of the headline was to use use "chink" as sort of a pun related to Lin's heritage. There are hundreds of better headlines they could have come up with to describe his play against New Orleans.

Edit: Looks like the writer of the headline got fired and the anchor who said it on air got a 30-day suspension.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/ ... n-comments
Yeah I saw that. I like to give people the benefit of doubt, I like to think they're better than that, but f*** em, they're racist