Pac-12 North Picks from a Husky

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Pac-12 North Picks from a Husky

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Call me crazy but I compare Thomas to a game manager like Greg McEleroy. They didn't make mistakes and got the ball to their very skilled players(Ingram, richardson and Julio compared to DAT, LMJ and Barner) and stayed calm no matter what. Bennett and Mariota both have more boom and bust potential than Thomas but at least we knew Darron would spread the ball around and keep us in it by not throwing a costly pick
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Call me crazy but I compare Thomas to a game manager like Greg McEleroy. They didn't make mistakes and got the ball to their very skilled players(Ingram, richardson and Julio compared to DAT, LMJ and Barner) and stayed calm no matter what. Bennett and Mariota both have more boom and bust potential than Thomas but at least we knew Darron would spread the ball around and keep us in it by not throwing a costly pick
If Darron had the speed, we could be national champs. His inability to run, or rather his lack of speed was detrimental to his game, because he wasn't an exceptional passer, but like you said, a game manager and a good passer.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Call me crazy but I compare Thomas to a game manager like Greg McEleroy. They didn't make mistakes and got the ball to their very skilled players(Ingram, richardson and Julio compared to DAT, LMJ and Barner) and stayed calm no matter what. Bennett and Mariota both have more boom and bust potential than Thomas but at least we knew Darron would spread the ball around and keep us in it by not throwing a costly pick
DT is better than McElroy, our D is just not as good as Alabama´s.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
If Darron had the speed, we could be national champs. His inability to run, or rather his lack of speed was detrimental to his game, because he wasn't an exceptional passer, but like you said, a game manager and a good passer.
In previous winter conditioning Darron was faster in the 20 than Darrell Hawkins and Jeremiah Masoli. While he slows down in the 40, he was still a 10th of a second faster than Brian Bennett in the 40 in his last winter conditioning. His inability to run didn't cost us the LSU or USC games last year. He was not asked to run in either. Against Auburn, it was more LMJ's inability to run in a stupid thankfully never seen again anti-spread formation they unveiled for the game that truly cost them.

In 2010 Darron ran well until Costa went down, then the inside and outside zone read "option" became too risky and was seldom used. Coaches decision. In 2011 virtually every inside and outside zone run was a pre-called hand off with a fake by the QB. In a few key games like Arizona (the first conference game), Stanford, the Conference Championship game and the Rose Bowl, they ran a few QB keepers to keep the defense committed to covering the QB on the fake. QB running yardage went down, overall team rushing went up.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
In previous winter conditioning Darron was faster in the 20 than Darrell Hawkins and Jeremiah Masoli. While he slows down in the 40, he was still a 10th of a second faster than Brian Bennett in the 40 in his last winter conditioning. His inability to run didn't cost us the LSU or USC games last year. He was not asked to run in either. Against Auburn, it was more LMJ's inability to run in a stupid thankfully never seen again anti-spread formation they unveiled for the game that truly cost them.

In 2010 Darron ran well until Costa went down, then the inside and outside zone read "option" became too risky and was seldom used. Coaches decision. In 2011 virtually every inside and outside zone run was a pre-called hand off with a fake by the QB. In a few key games like Arizona (the first conference game), Stanford, the Conference Championship game and the Rose Bowl, they ran a few QB keepers to keep the defense committed to covering the QB on the fake. QB running yardage went down, overall team rushing went up.
I'll tell you right now, that does NOT translate to the field. DT is the slowest QB since Kellen Clemens.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Bennett mainly did that with his legs though. Which is a credit to Bennett's running and discredit to Thomas'
True, but I think there are some that undervalue our QB's ability to run and what running does to kill a defense's mind set. Teebow is a horrid thrower, but took his team to the playoffs simply because he had the ability to run. It messes with the defenses game plan. ASU had pretty much dismissed the QB running, and Bennett had the ability to show them the error of their ways.

We know Bennett can run, we know he has a gun, the question is; can he actually throw a catch-able ball? If not, it is MM time. Can you imagine if Teebow could really throw? Or if Thomas could really run? I have a feeling, our two young guys will be pretty darn good at both and that has me very excited.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
I'll tell you right now, that does NOT translate to the field. DT is the slowest QB since Kellen Clemens.
Agreed. I think DT and Roper were pretty equal as far as speed goes.