2012-2013 Schedule Released

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

2012-2013 Schedule Released

Post by frogsnouts »

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =205679616

Northern Arizona, Portland State, Vanderbilt, Jacksonville State, Texas San Atonio, Arkasnsas Pine Bluff, Idaho State, Nebraska, Houston Baptist and Nevada at home.

UNLV, UTEP, Cincinnati/Iowa State away

I'll take a shot and say 25 wins before the Pac 12 tourney.
maxduck
Senior

Re: 2012-2013 Schedule Released

Post by maxduck »

frogsnouts wrote:I'll take a shot and say 25 wins before the Pac 12 tourney.

A record of 25-6, better than any Pac-12 team last year, with a team that lost 60% of the previous seasons point production?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

25 wins even after any postseason is a loooooooooong shot. we probably won't win any of those road games, and vandy/nevada at home will be pretty big obstacles.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Vandy and Nevada at home need to be Ws. And then one non-conference road win would be a solid non-conference. Enough to the point where if we have a Pac-12 season like we did last year, I think we are dancing.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

maxduck wrote:

A record of 25-6, better than any Pac-12 team last year, with a team that lost 60% of the previous seasons point production?
I'm saying sweep the home OOC games (Vanderbilt may be the only challenge). Take the UTEP game and 1 of the Las Vegas games.

-12 wins, maybe 11

In the Pac 12. Take 5 games against OSU/Utah/ASU.
-17 wins

One from WSU/Washington each. Hope UCLA losses their recruits and take one of the LA trip.
-20 wins

Take one from Colorado. Sweep Cal/Stanford with the tournament looming (basically, step up when you need to at the end of the year).
-23 wins

But I could see them sweeping the LA trip if UCLA doesn't get their recruits, and I could see them taking WSU on the road as well.
It's an optimistic prediction for sure, but I don't think it's at all impossible with that OOC schedule.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

frogsnouts wrote:
maxduck wrote:

I'm saying sweep the home OOC games (Vanderbilt may be the only challenge). Take the UTEP game and 1 of the Las Vegas games.

-12 wins, maybe 11

-17 wins

One from WSU/Washington each. Hope UCLA losses their recruits and take one of the LA trip.
-20 wins

Take one from Colorado. Sweep Cal/Stanford with the tournament looming (basically, step up when you need to at the end of the year).
-23 wins

But I could see them sweeping the LA trip if UCLA doesn't get their recruits, and I could see them taking WSU on the road as well.
It's an optimistic prediction for sure, but I don't think it's at all impossible with that OOC schedule.
The Ducks only return roughly 30 PPG, who is going to score? Singler and Woods will improve some, and Emory could have a decent improvement over his 7 PPG. You still need to average 30-40 points per game out of the true freshmen over a 31 game season. I don't see that happening on a consistent basis.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Many have stated that Emory has been looking like a potential star in practice, and I expect him to take a big step forward. Artis will also be a pure point guard, and that will help Oregon find more "easy buckets" than last season with Sim basically being our PG. Oregon may struggle at times in NC, but I really think this team has a higher ceiling than last year's team assuming Austin is cleared to be a Duck.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

frogsnouts wrote:
maxduck wrote:

-12 wins, maybe 11

-17 wins

-20 wins

-23 wins

that's incredibly optimistic. you don't think nevada will be a challenge? that may very well come back to haunt you. taking "one in las vegas" is easy to say on a message board, but actually beating one of the 2012 ncaa tournament teams we'll be meeting there will be much more difficult. i think a much more realistic non-conference record would be 10-3. i don't see us sweeping our home games, and i'm being generous and assuming we'll beat utep in an odd midweek cross-country matchup. altman's teams have gotten better as the season has gone on (a great attribute) but we've also started VERY slow his first two years. with so many fresh faces, i just wouldn't expect an almost-perfect november/december.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

TheMaehlMan wrote:Many have stated that Emory has been looking like a potential star in practice, and I expect him to take a big step forward. Artis will also be a pure point guard, and that will help Oregon find more "easy buckets" than last season with Sim basically being our PG. Oregon may struggle at times in NC, but I really think this team has a higher ceiling than last year's team assuming Austin is cleared to be a Duck.
i think emory's ceiling is very high, too, but i'm not so sure artis is going to be the great savior (putting words in your mouth, i know) so many are expecting. he may be a 'pure' point guard, but it's not like we struggled to score points once we started gelling/rolling in early january. offense really wasn't our issue. how many 'easy buckets' artis, as a freshman, is going to be able to deliver is somewhat questionable, imo; i think it's entirely possible losing sim's ridiculous 46% three point shooting from the position might hurt us more than artis is going to help us, at least for this season.

and heck, i think shooting in general might turn into an issue for us; devoe had one of the best seasons by an oregon 2-guard ever. he and sim were so freaking clutch. i trust ej shooting the ball, but emory's an adventure at best and loyd's a downright hinderance in all facets of the game, but especially on offense. we're really banking on ej and a bunch of fresh faces to come right in and shoot the rock like they did in high school/jc... which isn't something that always translates right away.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'm saying 18 wins wouldn't exactly be a disappointment, considering all the new players, especially FR, on the team.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

greenyellow wrote:I'm saying 18 wins wouldn't exactly be a disappointment, considering all the new players, especially FR, on the team.
That seems reasonable. Hopefully getting Austin will put them over the magic 20 win mark.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

oregontrack wrote:i think emory's ceiling is very high, too, but i'm not so sure artis is going to be the great savior (putting words in your mouth, i know) so many are expecting. he may be a 'pure' point guard, but it's not like we struggled to score points once we started gelling/rolling in early january. offense really wasn't our issue. how many 'easy buckets' artis, as a freshman, is going to be able to deliver is somewhat questionable, imo; i think it's entirely possible losing sim's ridiculous 46% three point shooting from the position might hurt us more than artis is going to help us, at least for this season.

and heck, i think shooting in general might turn into an issue for us; devoe had one of the best seasons by an oregon 2-guard ever. he and sim were so freaking clutch. i trust ej shooting the ball, but emory's an adventure at best and loyd's a downright hinderance in all facets of the game, but especially on offense. we're really banking on ej and a bunch of fresh faces to come right in and shoot the rock like they did in high school/jc... which isn't something that always translates right away.
This is all valid, and I understand that the transition from high school to college for point guards is significant. Oregon may not score as much as last season, but my opinion is that we won't be quite as reliant on 3s. That could be wrong, but if Artis figures it out quickly then we could see Altman's offense become more well-rounded.

Also, I think Oregon will be stronger defensively than we have been since Altman arrived. Adding another post like Austin gives us the size to compete in the Pac-12, and that was my main concern heading into the season. Our perimeter defense should be much better as well. Branch is a rangy defender that is going to excel in traps, and Altman unsuccessfully tried to use that a lot last season. Also, Emory should be improved defensively, and from what I have heard, Artis is an upgrade over Sim in that aspect. I do think Artis will struggle with bigger point guards in his first season, but he has much more quickness than Sim ever had.

I don't think this Oregon team is great, but there are a lot of nice pieces that could make this team's potential better than last year's team.

Going to miss the Maehl Man