UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Darin Johnson deciding Sunday

Post by UOducksTK1 »

http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/4-S ... home-95430

Down to four:

School Interest Level Offer? Visit Date Signed LOI?
Oregon Med Interest Yes 09/14/2012
San Diego State Med Interest Yes 08/31/2012
Texas A&M Med Interest Yes 10/05/2012
Washington Med Interest Yes 09/28/2012

profiles:
http://washingtonstate.scout.com/a.z?s= ... id=4594820
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... son-122102

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Re: Darin Johnson deciding Sunday

Post by greenyellow »

How is he leaning? There really hasn't been much about him on here or anywhere else I've read.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

greenyellow wrote:How is he leaning? There really hasn't been much about him on here or anywhere else I've read.
A lot of people think he will pick Oregon.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

TheMaehlMan wrote:
greenyellow wrote:How is he leaning? There really hasn't been much about him on here or anywhere else I've read.
Hate to say it, but I think he's going to UW....

Oregon was his favorite, prior to his UW visit. From what I've read, he's really sold on Romar's "ability" to send players to the pros. Johnson supposedly believes that Romar showcases his guards better than most programs.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

uostudent wrote:
TheMaehlMan wrote:

Oregon was his favorite, prior to his UW visit. From what I've read, he's really sold on Romar's "ability" to send players to the pros. Johnson supposedly believes that Romar showcases his guards better than most programs.
That's a bit disappointing. The 2013 class doesn't seem to be all that strong for Oregon.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

uostudent wrote:
TheMaehlMan wrote:

That's completely different than what I've read, but you may be right. Hell, I heard it was coming down to Oregon and Texas A&M. Apparently Johnson loves the Nike factor of our program, but we'll see. Hopefully I'm right!

uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

TheMaehlMan wrote:
uostudent wrote:
TheMaehlMan wrote:

That's completely different than what I've read, but you may be right. Hell, I heard it was coming down to Oregon and Texas A&M. Apparently Johnson loves the Nike factor of our program, but we'll see. Hopefully I'm right!
Btw, I got this info from one of my buddies who went to UW. He has a scout subscription, so that where I read about it. They also said that people "close to/inside the Oregon program" haven't heard anything regarding Johnson. I don't usually trust scout, but the line about Romar sending players to the pros sounded legitimate.

Whichever program ends up with Johnson will be getting a very talented player.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UW? Everything I've seen says it's between UO and TAM.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

uostudent wrote: Btw, I got this info from one of my buddies who went to UW. He has a scout subscription, so that where I read about it. They also said that people "close to/inside the Oregon program" haven't heard anything regarding Johnson. I don't usually trust scout, but the line about Romar sending players to the pros sounded legitimate.

Dawgman isn't exactly the best source, so I'm thinking that what I heard may be accurate after-all :lol:

uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

TheMaehlMan wrote:
uostudent wrote: Btw, I got this info from one of my buddies who went to UW. He has a scout subscription, so that where I read about it. They also said that people "close to/inside the Oregon program" haven't heard anything regarding Johnson. I don't usually trust scout, but the line about Romar sending players to the pros sounded legitimate.

Dawgman isn't exactly the best source, so I'm thinking that what I heard may be accurate after-all :lol:
Johnson's going to UW....

I don't usually trust scout either, but the stuff about Romar sounded legit. Unfortunately, UW is probably going to end up with Aaron Gordon too. Right now, UW is definitely a better program than Oregon, despite Romar not necessarily being a better coach than Altman. That being said, they have sent a lot of guys to the pros recently...
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Yep, It's UW
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

It would have been nice to get a high-level wing, but Oregon may still find a serviceable one in Richardson or Dotson. Also, have to see how either of the Robinson twins pan out and if either one sticks with BB long-term. Biggest needs for this class will probably be post players and possibly another guard. I'm not overly stoked about the remaining prospects due to most of them only having mid-major offers or none reported at this time. Altman does need to recruit up to Pac-12 level if he wants to compete with the upper end of the conference.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

uostudent wrote: Johnson's going to UW....

I don't usually trust scout either, but the stuff about Romar sounded legit. Unfortunately, UW is probably going to end up with Aaron Gordon too. Right now, UW is definitely a better program than Oregon, despite Romar not necessarily being a better coach than Altman. That being said, they have sent a lot of guys to the pros recently...
Good call even though it is unfortunate news. I also agree that Gordon is going to UW because he visited the same weekend that Johnson and Nigel Williams Goss visited. That was a big recruiting weekend for UW, and it sounds like Romar hit a home run. If Oregon can get into the big dance and win some games, then that may level the playing field in recruiting, but that's going to be a challenge this season.

Not directed at your post: Also, this isn't a crushing blow in my opinion. Thankfully we had a big guard class this past cycle, and Tyree Robinson is a stud SG. It hurts that we missed on Johnson, but it won't kill us.

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Funny that UW is SOooooooooooooooo much superior, yet with all that talent, ended up facing Oregon in the quarter-finals of the 2012 NIT.

Methinks the coaching gap is pretty big, and those NBA draft picks were based more on individual talent, than any overt player development by Romar.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!