Manti Te'o

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Manti Te'o

Post by AutzenMember »

He's a great player, but this run he's getting for Heisman is ridiculous. If he played anywhere other than ND, hardly anyone would know who he is. Here's his stats (hardly Heisman worthy):

INT, ranks 6th Nationally with 4 picks (unless he continues to make interceptions, this is an inflated ranking at this time of year. His best stat, however, especially for a LB. Avery Patterson is 22nd.)
Fumble Recoveries, ranks 17th Nationally (again, a much inflated ranking since he only has 2. Brian Jackson also has 2.)
Total Tackles, ranks 23rd Nationally
Passes Defended, ranks 56th Nationally (Ifo ranks 7th, BTW)
Sacks, ZERO (T. Hart and D. Jordan are tied at 39th)
Solo Tackles, not ranked in the top 100 (Kiko is 97th)
TFL, not ranked in the top 100 (Kiko is 56th)
Forced Fumbles, not in the top 100 (Ifo is first!)

Again, I really like him as a player, and Te'o appears to be headed for a big career at the next level. But Heisman? Child please.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?y ... A&site=org
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Manti Te'o

Post by UOducksTK1 »

100% agree.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

The only reason that he is being mentioned, other than the fact he is a Notre Dame player, is the sympathy factor. He lost his girlfriend and his Grandmother within a week of each other or something. Too bad, but not a reason to be Heisman IMHO.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

DAT#6 wrote:The only reason that he is being mentioned, other than the fact he is a Notre Dame player, is the sympathy factor. He lost his girlfriend and his Grandmother within a week of each other or something. Too bad, but not a reason to be Heisman IMHO.
Within 6 hours. Grandma died and then girlfriend. He is getting attention for the Heisman, currently, because the front-runner is an 'unsexy' QB from Kansas State. If WVU hasn't fallen off the face of the earth or Matt Barkley didn't have 2-3 stinker games, we aren't having this conversation. Heck, if DAT even has a few flashy plays, I think this is a different conversation.

I don't think the sympathy thing is as big of a factor as you guys are making it seem. Dude has been a beast on a top ranked D. This is a down Heisman year. Regarding the interception stat...he is ranked 4th nationally as a LB. That says something. I am not saying that he deserves the Heisman hype but her certainly deserves the hype he has been getting. And just throwing it out there...I hate ND. I am not a fan of the team in the slightest but you have to respect a guy like Te'o who wears his heart on his sleeve and plays at such a high level.