Women's Team

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Women's Team

Post by bellsduck »

I don't know if this belongs on this board, but here goes.
It is super frustrating to see our women's basketball team do so poorly year after year while we keep an overpaid part-time resident to coach this team. Oregon has some of the best talent in the country and can't recruit any of the players to stay in state. Heck, we aren't even mentioned as finalists. Louisville and Tennessee took two great ones yesterday. When will we get rid of Westhead?
maxduck
Senior

Re: Women's Team

Post by maxduck »

Westhead and his excessive salary is probably here until 2014 when his contract expires. After that Oregon can begin to rebuild the women's program, so figure that in five or six years the team may be competitive. It's pathetic the #1 high school recruit, an local athlete who once wanted to attend Oregon, didn't even consider staying home after looking at the program. Pat Kilkenny did many good things during his time as temporary AD. Hiring his friend and giving his a sweetheart contract with one of the highest salaries in the nation wasn't one of them.

Details of this travesty http://projects.registerguard.com/csp/c ... /story.csp
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

UT Wbb vs UO Wbb? Get real on this one.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

we had the best women's program in the conference for awhile there (albeit during a stanford downslope). the anger over westhead is laughable; he didn't start this mess. bill moos destroyed the program. westhead may or may not be the answer (i would lean towards 'not'), but he was given a pile of **** when bev smith left.

and we've ALWAYS lost most of the big name girls in this state to outside schools. and we always will.
ImageImageImageImageImage
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Duck07 wrote:UT Wbb vs UO Wbb? Get real on this one.
I did not say Oregon would have landed Russell, just they should have been in the mix given her initial interest. Instead she looked at the product on the floor and eliminated the Ducks over a year ago. That shouldn't happen.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

oregontrack wrote:we had the best women's program in the conference for awhile there (albeit during a stanford downslope). the anger over westhead is laughable; he didn't start this mess. bill moos destroyed the program. westhead may or may not be the answer (i would lean towards 'not'), but he was given a pile of **** when bev smith left.

and we've ALWAYS lost most of the big name girls in this state to outside schools. and we always will.
No, Westhead didn't start this mess but he hasn't improved it either. Now we pay three times as much for essentially the same results and that is the fault of Bill Moos?
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

actually, he has improved things. do you remember bev's last year?

his team last year was super young, the result of a complete overhaul from what he was handed. the ducks were never going to be very good.

I don't eve necessarily disagree with you regarding westhead's long term future here, but the logic behind this thread just doesn't add up. I didn't realize a women's basketball coach's salary was such a big deal for anyone.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

My good friends are Russell's neighbors... She was never gonna go to oregon. Her family is from & still in SoCal & she was the top recruit in the country. So from the beginning she wanted to go to SC or one of the incredible women's programs that were perusing her.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

You also have to think about how women's college basktball is. The talent is not as spread out as it is in the men's game and there isn't as many top-level players to go around. The top players seem to go to UConn, Tennessee, Stanford, Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, and Baylor. There's not much future for players after college so many go to the top schools that will guarantee them a shot at a NCAA title and give them a leg up on getting one of the few WNBA roster spots.
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

maxduck wrote:
I did not say Oregon would have landed Russell, just they should have been in the mix given her initial interest. Instead she looked at the product on the floor and eliminated the Ducks over a year ago. That shouldn't happen.
You sure about that?
Russell has yet to truly narrow her list, but it looks as if Oregon State and Oregon are already on their way out. Russell essentially told OSU "thanks, but no thanks," and while Oregon coaches still come to watch her occasionally, she seems disinterested.

"I am not trying to stay here," Russell said. "I don't like the rain, there's no cute boys here. I think bigger, highly recruited athletes to back east to get that better competition."
Does that really sound like someone who has their priorities straight?
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

uostudent wrote:
maxduck wrote:
You sure about that?
Russell has yet to truly narrow her list, but it looks as if Oregon State and Oregon are already on their way out. Russell essentially told OSU "thanks, but no thanks," and while Oregon coaches still come to watch her occasionally, she seems disinterested.

"I am not trying to stay here," Russell said. "I don't like the rain, there's no cute boys here. I think bigger, highly recruited athletes to back east to get that better competition."
Does that really sound like someone who has their priorities straight?
When the girl is 6'6" tall, there aren't a lot of cute guys who can look her straight in the eye, without a step stool.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

and to be fair, she was in no way serious when she said that.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Another Oregon girl to Tennessee with Central Catholic's Jordan Reynolds picking the Vols today. Also, Reynold's CC teammate, Kailee Johnson, is going to Stanford. Just shows how bad Oregon and OSU are when the top 3 players in the state don't even consider the in-state schools.