Northern Arizona @ Oregon (W 83-73)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Northern Arizona @ Oregon (W 83-73)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Sat, Nov 10 Northern Arizona Eugene, Ore. 4:30 p.m.
Pac-12 Network

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Northern Arizona @ Oregon (Saturday 430pst)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

So far looks like the defense needs a lot of work.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Altman is getting outcoached. Altman never has seemed to teach any defense to this team.
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Altman is getting outcoached. Altman never has seemed to teach any defense to this team.
There you go again with the out-coached angle. Oregon played pretty bad, but I'll never understand your obsession with Altman's coaching ability.

Oregon has a lot of new players, so naturally there will be mistakes defensively, and our offense was also out of sorts. Altman's teams always improve as the season goes on, so I'm not too worried. I doubt Oregon will beat Vanderbilt, but maybe Kazemi can help a lot in rebounding. We gave them too many 2nd chances.

Going to miss the Maehl Man
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Altman is getting outcoached. Altman never has seemed to teach any defense to this team.

Wow, from the tone of your post I thought they lost. 83-73 Duck win.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

altman has never HAD any good defensive players, save for woods. garrett sim and jay-r strowbridge and joevan catron and ej singler don't exactly resemble the '04 detroit pistons.

this was one of those games where you walk out somewhat underwhelmed, but when you turn on espn and see the bottom ticker go by you notice a sizable number of major conference teams posting unimpressive single digit wins against directional state schools. it's the first week of the season, and it's basketball, for christ sakes.

pretty balanced scoring night, 6 guys had between 7 and 14 points. somewhat surprised loyd finished the final five minutes in place of artis, but once oregon got the lead back (yes, sadly, we blew a ten point lead and briefly fell behind) altman was content with loyd running the show and hitting free throws instead of risking an artis turnover.

artis/moore/dotson/singler/woods starting five.

dotson is still our most impressive freshman. 13 points on 5/8 shooting, 2/3 from behind the arc, 6 boards, played a team-high 30 minutes, 3 more than singler. no turnovers.
ImageImageImageImageImage
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I just get frustrated watching Oregon's defense. There is a lack of blocking out, especially from Singler. They have poor communication and backdoor cuts work way too easily on this team. Woods also is just a statue sometimes down low, he gets great blocks, but he plays like a statute. The highlight of the defense to me was Artis's on ball defense, he has some really quick feet!

Oh, and Oregon needs to work on getting back on defense!
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

if it helps, we started three freshmen yesterday afternoon. things will get better.
ImageImageImageImageImage
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

oregontrack wrote:if it helps, we started three freshmen yesterday afternoon. things will get better.
This. And truthfully, Dotson and Artis played well. I think they will end up completing out our starting lineup. Not to mention Kazemi still will be added, he'll be a huge boost.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
TheMaehlMan
Junior

Post by TheMaehlMan »

Also, the toughest transition from HS to college is playing team defense. It's so much different, and the players will grow and communicate better as the season moves on.

Going to miss the Maehl Man