Questions Regarding Lane CC

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

MFRDuckFan
Senior

Questions Regarding Lane CC

Post by MFRDuckFan »

I have a family member that is going to attend Lane & then transfer to UO so I was wondering if you guys have some insider info about where to live, best teachers, etc.

Thanks!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Questions Regarding Lane CC

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I don't know about Lane, but I think going to a community college for a couple years before transferring to a four year college is a great idea. From my experience, you have more options with teachers (ie better teachers), things are way cheaper, I like the small classroom environment better (get to know your teachers better). And at least at PCC, there were no +'s or -'s. Just A,B,C,D,F. Helped my GPA so much since I knew I just had to get 90 or higher to get a perfect GPA. Lot easier to motivate myself, and a lot easier to come out with a very high GPA before going to Portland State.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I don't know about Lane, but I think going to a community college for a couple years before transferring to a four year college is a great idea. From my experience, you have more options with teachers (ie better teachers), things are way cheaper, I like the small classroom environment better (get to know your teachers better). And at least at PCC, there were no +'s or -'s. Just A,B,C,D,F. Helped my GPA so much since I knew I just had to get 90 or higher to get a perfect GPA. Lot easier to motivate myself, and a lot easier to come out with a very high GPA before going to Portland State.
I totally agree. Found out the hard way for my daughter that CC was a good step if you're not the type that can jump right in to a University. My nephew is coming up from California & going to Lane. He plays basketball so this will be fun!
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

MFRDuckFan wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I don't know about Lane, but I think going to a community college for a couple years before transferring to a four year college is a great idea. From my experience, you have more options with teachers (ie better teachers), things are way cheaper, I like the small classroom environment better (get to know your teachers better). And at least at PCC, there were no +'s or -'s. Just A,B,C,D,F. Helped my GPA so much since I knew I just had to get 90 or higher to get a perfect GPA. Lot easier to motivate myself, and a lot easier to come out with a very high GPA before going to Portland State.
I totally agree. Found out the hard way for my daughter that CC was a good step if you're not the type that can jump right in to a University. My nephew is coming up from California & going to Lane. He plays basketball so this will be fun!
Awesome, he's probably doing the wise thing. I'm assuming he'll play ball at Lane too? How's their bball program?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Add me to the CC lovers club. Can't wait to be at the U of O next fall, though.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Phenom wrote:Add me to the CC lovers club. Can't wait to be at the U of O next fall, though.
+1000
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
MFRDuckFan wrote:
Awesome, he's probably doing the wise thing. I'm assuming he'll play ball at Lane too? How's their bball program?
He definitely wants to play ball, so that's the plan. I'm not familiar with the program but it's closer to playing for the Ducks which he would love to do.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

A point to consider... My daughter returned to school last fall, after an absence of 12+ years (Long story, Marriage, children, divorce). It took the U of O 6 days to accept her application.

One of the significant factors was that she received an Oregon Transfer Degree from Lane, rather than the more traditional associate degree.

This enabled her to transfer virtually all of the credits she achieved while at LCC, without the necessity of "testing out" to prove that some of the knowledge was still up to standards. It also allowed her to avoid retaking some classes, which would have added to the time and expense of gaining her goal.

The cool thing is that the counselors were able to tailor the program of study at Lane to fit the stated goal of transferring to one of Oregon's state universities.

God thing to consider.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

woundedknees wrote:A point to consider... My daughter returned to school last fall, after an absence of 12+ years (Long story, Marriage, children, divorce). It took the U of O 6 days to accept her application.

One of the significant factors was that she received an Oregon Transfer Degree from Lane, rather than the more traditional associate degree.

This enabled her to transfer virtually all of the credits she achieved while at LCC, without the necessity of "testing out" to prove that some of the knowledge was still up to standards. It also allowed her to avoid retaking some classes, which would have added to the time and expense of gaining her goal.

The cool thing is that the counselors were able to tailor the program of study at Lane to fit the stated goal of transferring to one of Oregon's state universities.

God thing to consider.
That is great advice. I'll pass that info along to his Mom. Thanks!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

You are welcome!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!