Timing on Blount Announcement

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Timing on Blount Announcement

Post by EncinitasDuck »

OK, first of all, let's leave opinions on whether a Blount reinstatement is the right or wrong thing out of this thread. I'm more interested in hearing your thoughts on the timing of the announcement.

Granted today's game should be a W for the Ducks and by a lot of points. But why would you make an announcement like this the day BEFORE a game. How many texts, e-mails, phone calls, etc do you think players/coaches have received on this in the past 20 hours? Seems like tomorrow would have been a better time. Most likely one or two Top 10 teams will lose today so there would be other stories to focus on. Plus by saving until tomorrow it gives the team a couple days to regain focus and get back to work before the UCLA game. Do you think the quality of the opponent for today's game had anything to do with the timing?

Thoughts?
UofDuck
Senior

Re: Timing on Blount Announcement

Post by UofDuck »

I would think during the bye week, a little later in the season would be have been better, but - and I have nothing leading me to this - perhaps the timing was such, based on Blount's team-mates pleading his case to the coaches. He was still working out hard everyday with them in practice and I would suspect many of the Duck players wanted him back. We have all been on teams and know how close we get to our mates in the trenches with us. Its a strong bond. So perhaps Chip felt the timing was right for the team? Who really knows.
Last edited by UofDuck on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I also worry about the timing of it. Yes Washington State is the worst team in Pac 10 but all these distractions if the team not focused and they turn ball over they could easily lose to Washington State. The weather also will not be real good. I still think we win and even though disagree with the decision will support Kelly on the timing figuring he figured timing was right and who knows maybe players said would stay focused on the task at hand in beating Washington State.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

I think the timing is perfect because it is WSU and the world will forget about it by Monday. If it was just before USC, then I would be concerned. The only folks really chattering about the issue is locally. On a national level, not so much. No major headlines, just footnotes from what I see today.

The team will be fine. I'm thinking that the loss of WTIII has caused more issues than the announcement of the possible reinstatement of LGB.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

MFRDuckFan wrote:I think the timing is perfect because it is WSU and the world will forget about it by Monday. If it was just before USC, then I would be concerned. The only folks really chattering about the issue is locally. On a national level, not so much. No major headlines, just footnotes from what I see today.

The team will be fine. I'm thinking that the loss of WTIII has caused more issues than the announcement of the possible reinstatement of LGB.
I agree...Nationally, we are barely making a ripple on a small pond over the announcement...But, Local news and Beaver fans are naturally taking their shots at us...What would one expect..
I am not goin into whether I agree or not here..My position has previously been stated and remains the same...

But, the timing does seem to be perfect....We have given appropriate notice of the possibility of return of LGB but yet, he is not available to return b4 the USC game, plus WSU shouldnt be a tough test for the team....or at least I hope they arent...lol
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

ESPN was reporting late Thursday night that a friend of LGB leaked the info to a blog and the blog reported it. Once it hit a blog and ESPN picked it up, UO rushed to release the information to control the flow of information. That initial story has sence been buried in the clatter that followed.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

There was no timing to this issue from my understanding. Word had leaked out of the contract which forced the Kelly into limited disclosure of the agreements existence. I use limited since the details of the agreement are not released, only acknowledged. Kelly acted again with swiftness to head off potential damage that could have resulted in some major bad publicity if others had broken the story.

At some point the terms of the agreement will need to disclosed if Blount returns, if nothing else than to prove to the media of the effort and strides this young man had to perform in order to return to the game. That is the only way that writers like Canzano and Dodd can be muted, although Canzano would prefer that secret agendas permeate the program and this degrades into a matter of Ducks whoring themselves to win at all costs.

What some writers fail to notice, some people do care about others.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Greydrake wrote:There was no timing to this issue from my understanding. Word had leaked out of the contract which forced the Kelly into limited disclosure of the agreements existence. I use limited since the details of the agreement are not released, only acknowledged. Kelly acted again with swiftness to head off potential damage that could have resulted in some major bad publicity if others had broken the story.

At some point the terms of the agreement will need to disclosed if Blount returns, if nothing else than to prove to the media of the effort and strides this young man had to perform in order to return to the game. That is the only way that writers like Canzano and Dodd can be muted, although Canzano would prefer that secret agendas permeate the program and this degrades into a matter of Ducks whoring themselves to win at all costs.

What some writers fail to notice, some people do care about others.

The vast majority of writers are out to further their paper/product and their career. And the matter regarding the "Ducks whoring themselves to win at all costs" appears to be a moot point, as without LGB we appear to be a faster and more productive offense.
The writers are gonna write what the writers write. We just need to take care of business on and off of the field and disprove their credibility...and prove our capabilities.
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Post by rcook »

I also think the timing is perfect/as good as it gets...

The timing strategy seems to geared for minimal squawking... By only allowing the news to start Thursday evening, officially annoucing the "deal" friday morning and now there is football on Saturday, I think it keeps the ugliness to a minimum.

By anticipating a temporary circus, the timing seems optimal. We have two slightly dangerous road games ahead that will require more preparation than WSU should. I would rather just get it out now.

Does not like war, fwiw
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

rcook wrote:I would rather just get it out now.
Indeed, the fact that Kelly buried the issue until after the USC game helped greatly.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

i like it distractions or not we should easily beat wsu if masoli plays at the utah level. true freshman starting on the road in the rain at autzen i like our chances. All we need is one upset or tebow sighting and this will all blow under the rug again till november.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

It seems the team is focused and the timing of the announcement didn't affect the team at all! :lol:
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Didn't hear a word about it on the postgame shows...

No Story Here!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Saw a quote from Kelly that he was more distracted of the situation than the team. This teams unity and focus is very admirable.