Swine Flu

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

dthomas=ddixon

Re: Swine Flu

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
fecta23 wrote:I just got it and its not that bad. I mean they wont be 100 percent but they could possibly play through it.
If it is the swine flu then its really not bad news at all. It's much weaker than the regular flu.
Not with the younger people.
No WITH younger people. It's the old people it kills because their immune systems are so much weaker. Young people fight stuff off like the flu much better.

Swine flu is not a bad virus right now. The scare is that it might develop into a much stronger virus.
bmxryder507
Two Star Recruit

Post by bmxryder507 »

If it is the swine flu then its really not bad news at all. It's much weaker than the regular flu. No WITH younger people. It's the old people it kills because their immune systems are so much weaker. Young people fight stuff off like the flu much better.

Swine flu is not a bad virus right now. The scare is that it might develop into a much stronger virus.

Didnt a 14 year old just die from it??
Ballchinian
One Star Recruit

Post by Ballchinian »

Ya its hitting the younger crowd much worse than the older folks out there. Apparently most people over the age of 40-45 have already had some exposure to this influenza strain before it mutated. I work in EMS and have already taken several young (15-35 year old) people to the hospital today with severe flu like symptoms.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
If it is the swine flu then its really not bad news at all. It's much weaker than the regular flu.
No WITH younger people. It's the old people it kills because their immune systems are so much weaker. Young people fight stuff off like the flu much better.

That's true for most flues, but not for swine. The 13-25 demographic is getting hit hard.
Boom
All Pac-12
GM: Houston Rockets

Post by Boom »

The normal flu hits old people harder, but the swine flu is actually causing more problems with the younger people. Most likely because older people have picked up some immunity to it.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Oh dang I didn't know that. I thought that swine was pretty much just a weaker version of the regular flu. Good to know.
fecta23
Three Star Recruit

Post by fecta23 »

Boom wrote:
dthomas=ddixon wrote:
fecta23 wrote:I just got it and its not that bad. I mean they wont be 100 percent but they could possibly play through it.

I'm 21 its really not that bad. It is bad for like one day then you start to feel better. At least for me.
janos
One Star Recruit

Post by janos »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:
Flu is the flu, period. A very good (adult) friend of mine just came down with H1N1. She is sicker than she has ever been from anything in her memory. 102-104 fever, sweats, cramps, and going on for 5 days now......not fun at all.

I think it is likely that this will hit people in different ways, much as influenza always does....

And H1N1 IS the new NORMAL flu, or at least it will become so. It's expected that 80% of all flu cases will be from H1N1 from here on out. Thats been the way the virus has mutated during each of the big outbreaks over the last 40 years, the new kid on the block becomes dominant....