Ionescu expected back Friday @ #10 Stanford

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Ionescu expected back Friday @ #10 Stanford

Post by Greenblood »

http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/3514 ... anford.csp

Duck women have obviously been really struggling without her, but have easily looked to be NCAA Tourney-bound with her. But I'd be shocked if the Ducks won at Stanford.
Last edited by Greenblood on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
nogerO
Senior

Re: Ionescu expected back tomorrow @ #10 Stanford

Post by nogerO »

Hope they are not rushing her back. Not sure if they are "easily" a tournament team. Maybe WNIT the way they don't play defense. Next year is the year they make noise. This year? Not so much. Hope I'm wrong, but just too inexperienced and haven't learned how to stop anyone and that only takes you so far if you have an off night shooting the ball.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Greenblood
Senior

Re: Ionescu expected back Friday @ #10 Stanford

Post by Greenblood »

Btw, the women's game tonight at Stanford is on P12N at 8 p.m., but maybe only in Oregon and Northern CA. Up here in WA, the UW women's game vs. USC is on P12N for that time slot.
nogerO
Senior

Can someone

Post by nogerO »

tell me the correct pronunciation of Sabrina's last name?

TIA
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Greenblood
Senior

Re: Can someone

Post by Greenblood »

nogerO wrote:tell me the correct pronunciation of Sabrina's last name?

TIA
I don't know how she pronounces it, but here's a webpage that might help: http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/ionescu
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

TIA

I believe it's eye-on-es-koo. The pronounciation above is Romanian, and although the name is Romanian, I believe it's pronounced differently in the states. Sort of like Gonzalez is actually pronounced goan-sall-es in Spanish, it's still gone-zall-ez to most English speakers.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Pontius wrote:

TIA

I believe it's eye-on-es-koo. The pronounciation above is Romanian, and although the name is Romanian, I believe it's pronounced differently in the states. Sort of like Gonzalez is actually pronounced goan-sall-es in Spanish, it's still gone-zall-ez to most English speakers.
From her profile on USA Basketball, it looks like it's pronounced yah-ness-coo. I've heard others within the athletic department say it like this so I'm bound to believe that's correct and most of us have been saying it wrong.

http://archive.usab.com/bios/ionescu_sabrina.html
Greenblood
Senior

Re: Ionescu expected back Friday @ #10 Stanford

Post by Greenblood »

I think gy is probably right. From my listening to the announcers on TV, it definitely sounds like they pronounce the "I" as a "y" sound, fwiw.