USMNT misses 2018 World Cup

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

USMNT misses 2018 World Cup

Post by greenyellow »

The USMNT pulled one of the biggest choke jobs every by losing to Trinidad & Tobago 2-1 tonight, leaving them in 5th place in CONCACAF and out of the 2018 World Cup. Have to imagine that heads will be rolling among US Soccer's execs, coaching staff, and roster for allowing the whole men's team and their development programs to fail so hard and often.
UofDuck
Senior

Re: USMNT misses 2018 World Cup

Post by UofDuck »

Conspiracy theory, you think the PAC 12 officials make bad calls? You tube the first goal by Panama against Costa Rica (which directly effected US getting in) In soccer, the whole ball has to cross the goal line to be a goal and it’s NOT EVEN CLOSE to doing that. Wow.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Think about who the majority of the refs are for these matches, at least on this side of the Pond... it's easy to formulate conspiracy theories, when you compare it to the number of teams from south of the border.

Not racist, just basic logic. The theory would be more believable if most of these countries were actually "friendly", as many of these matches are called.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

The US team just wasn't good. If you can't beat Trinidad & Tobago you shouldn't go to the WC>
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Major embarrassment.

Sucks but this isn't a result of just one night, they haven't played well throughout the entire qualifying.
Mike Bellotti's Mustache
One Star Recruit

Post by Mike Bellotti's Mustache »

With all the flopping the men's soccer teams do, and the fact that the USMNT is pretty awful i'd rather watch the USWNT anyday over the men's.

As far as i'm concerned the salaries should be reversed after last night's debacle -- Give the USWNT the salaries the men's team has been receiving and vice versa.

I know it would never happen, but it should.
"Dyer Was Down"
'00 Alum, "Frat" guy, Go Ducks
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Pretty pathetic. It's a bummer too because offensively we have a lot of weapons.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Pretty pathetic. It's a bummer too because offensively we have a lot of weapons.
None besides Pulisic show up.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phenom wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Pretty pathetic. It's a bummer too because offensively we have a lot of weapons.
None besides Pulisic show up.
Just not when it matters I guess.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Hate to say it but I'm glad they missed the cut. Maybe now we'll make the changes we've needed for as long as I can remember. With the sudden decrease of children playing football, soccer is seeing an increase and hopefully some of the major athletes decide to stick to it.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Keep: Wood, Pulisic, Nagbe, Arriola, Cameron, Bradley, Altidore

Everyone else needs to retire from international play or not be called in again from this team.

Then next generation of players is very VERY exciting. Time to build for the future.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

justducky0 wrote:Keep: Wood, Pulisic, Nagbe, Arriola, Cameron, Bradley, Altidore

Everyone else needs to retire from international play or not be called in again from this team.

Then next generation of players is very VERY exciting. Time to build for the future.
Ya'll say that every time.
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

justducky0 wrote:Keep: Wood, Pulisic, Arriola
Fixed it for you
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Phenom wrote:
justducky0 wrote:Keep: Wood, Pulisic, Nagbe, Arriola, Cameron, Bradley, Altidore

Here is the thing fella. No "we" don't say that every time and the fact you even mention that shows how out of touch you are.

When you look at the youth national team results and rosters for both the U-17 and U-20 levels from 2009 through 2013 in major competitions, you will find teams that didn’t perform well on the field and produced very few national team players. These teams even failed to produce many consistent professionals—the types of athletes who raise the professional game domestically. The good news for U.S. Soccer is that, starting with the 1995 birth year, the trend seems to be reversing. American-born/raised talent seems to be significantly improving—both domestic-based players as well as those playing abroad. The problem is significant right now, however, because the lack of players born in the 1990-1994 range (along with bad signs for the 1996-born contingent) will continue to plague the national team both now and in the years ahead. These players are now aged 21 and 23-27—a key age range for any team.

That being said. The age group 16-23 is downright exciting. Pulisic, Arriola, Wood, Yedlin, Brooks, Acosta, Hyndman, Gooch, Sargent, Weah, Carelton, Palmer-Brown, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Mckennie, Wright, Gyau, Boyd, Gonzalez, Horvath..the list goes on. Now of course some of these players will flame out. But to have that many this young exciting Americans battling for starting spots in Europe where the real soccer is played is very good. I could go in to more detail as to the reasons this group of players will be exciting to watch but i've wasted enough of my time on it. I love soccer and I cannot wait for the future. BTW....soccer now ranks second behind basketball in youth participation.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

justducky0 wrote:
Phenom wrote:

Here is the thing fella. No "we" don't say that every time and the fact you even mention that shows how out of touch you are.

When you look at the youth national team results and rosters for both the U-17 and U-20 levels from 2009 through 2013 in major competitions, you will find teams that didn’t perform well on the field and produced very few national team players. These teams even failed to produce many consistent professionals—the types of athletes who raise the professional game domestically. The good news for U.S. Soccer is that, starting with the 1995 birth year, the trend seems to be reversing. American-born/raised talent seems to be significantly improving—both domestic-based players as well as those playing abroad. The problem is significant right now, however, because the lack of players born in the 1990-1994 range (along with bad signs for the 1996-born contingent) will continue to plague the national team both now and in the years ahead. These players are now aged 21 and 23-27—a key age range for any team.

That being said. The age group 16-23 is downright exciting. Pulisic, Arriola, Wood, Yedlin, Brooks, Acosta, Hyndman, Gooch, Sargent, Weah, Carelton, Palmer-Brown, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Mckennie, Wright, Gyau, Boyd, Gonzalez, Horvath..the list goes on. Now of course some of these players will flame out. But to have that many this young exciting Americans battling for starting spots in Europe where the real soccer is played is very good. I could go in to more detail as to the reasons this group of players will be exciting to watch but i've wasted enough of my time on it. I love soccer and I cannot wait for the future. BTW....soccer now ranks second behind basketball in youth participation.
lol I've heard this over and over again. Listen to Claudio Reyna (look him up).

Our approach and our behavior to the sport here — to coaching, to everything, is just wrong," Reyna told Goal on Tuesday. "We’re far too arrogant. We’re far too obnoxious. We are egotistical having never won anything or done anything, and that’s not the case around the world.

He added: "We have coaches who think they’re better than they are. Across the board, we just think we do things better than we really do. I mean in every way. Whether it’s broadcasting, or media, coaching, we’re just not as far along as we tell ourselves we are.

"We need a little honesty, and hopefully this brought it. I think it’s far too late. I think we’ve been asleep at the wheel for a little bit too long."

"Until we realize that — that we’re not as good as we think we are at all levels — then I think we’re going to continue being what we are, which is mediocre."

We need a little humility and modesty at the table. Unfortunately we have a little too much 'Mr. I Know Everything', 'Mr. Arrogance', 'Mr. Obnoxious', 'Mr. Loud', and when those get together nothing happens."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/clau...r ... 9c89qmxyib