WTF did Helf not see in Tagovailoa?

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: WTF did Helf not see in Tagovailoa?

Post by polyduck »

You can't fix STUPID...thanks MH! The way to get past this and move forward is to offer an opportunity to Tua's younger brother, Taulia who's also a 4 star QB. He's Class of 2019....and has a huge upside. He's blowing it up Tuscaloosa now and Saban has already offered him a scholarship. Hope Arroyo gives him a look!

#scoducks!
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Phenom wrote:It was f'ed up what ESPN did to Hurts after the game. Why would you interview him? He handled it extremely well, though. Wouldn't mind him transferring here, TBH.
He was great in that interview. Whether ESPN should have done it or not, he took advantage and nailed it. Showed great poise.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Phenom wrote:It was f'ed up what ESPN did to Hurts after the game. Why would you interview him? He handled it extremely well, though. Wouldn't mind him transferring here, TBH.
How could they not interview him as journalist? That fact Hurts was benched is was one of the biggest story lines in the game and moving forward to next year. I feel how he handeld the interview improved his brand tremendously.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

Also I think Jalen should transfer out, no way he starts again at QB barring an injury.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Bud Lee wrote:
How could they not interview him as journalist? That fact Hurts was benched is was one of the biggest story lines in the game and moving forward to next year. I feel how he handeld the interview improved his brand tremendously.
Agreed, you have to interview him if he’s willing because it’s a huge part of the overall game story. You know he’s hurt bad on the inside and as a competitor but it seemed like he knew Tua would pass him up at some point. Props to him for handling it so well. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him transfer out (FAU w/ Lane maybe?) but given how he handled last night, who knows, maybe he’ll stick it out and try to put a few more rings on his fingers.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Yeah, I liked that interview with Hurts. He obviously agreed to it, and he seemed at peace, even though part of him must have been upset. He played a massive role in the team's success, though, and yesterday just wasn't his game. Years from now, he'll be able to look back on this season knowing that not only did he make a huge impact, but he also helped groom the program's QB of the future. His maturity was inspiring.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Like others here, my first impulse is to blast Helfrich for blowing it on a stellar QB that wanted to come to Oregon. However, there is the other side of the argument: Does everyone believe that Tua would be starting over Herbert if he had come here? If not, then are we just bemoaning the loss of a great backup (we definitely could have used one this season, no doubt)? I agree that it is hard to watch a guy go to another team and perform well, but let's also admit that Helf picked a pretty good hometown QB as well.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Phalanx wrote:Like others here, my first impulse is to blast Helfrich for blowing it on a stellar QB that wanted to come to Oregon. However, there is the other side of the argument: Does everyone believe that Tua would be starting over Herbert if he had come here? If not, then are we just bemoaning the loss of a great backup (we definitely could have used one this season, no doubt)? I agree that it is hard to watch a guy go to another team and perform well, but let's also admit that Helf picked a pretty good hometown QB as well.
I had that thought as well but rationalize it this way. Say Tua does come here and nothing changes with Oregon’s season. He gets solid PT this year with Herbert’s injury and maybe they don’t rush Herbert back at the end of the season. There’s a QB competition this spring/next fall and the better QB wins. If it’s Herbert, maybe Tua sees the possibility that Herbert goes pro after the 2018 season, redshirts and is the guy with 3 to play 3 in 2019. If Tua wins, Herbert probably transfers out and you have a QB for the next 2-3 years. It’s all speculation at this point. Even if Helf offered Tua, who’s to say he sticks around when Oregon cans him?
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

Phalanx wrote:Like others here, my first impulse is to blast Helfrich for blowing it on a stellar QB that wanted to come to Oregon. However, there is the other side of the argument: Does everyone believe that Tua would be starting over Herbert if he had come here? If not, then are we just bemoaning the loss of a great backup (we definitely could have used one this season, no doubt)? I agree that it is hard to watch a guy go to another team and perform well, but let's also admit that Helf picked a pretty good hometown QB as well.
No one is going to claim that he would start over Herbert. People are bemoaning and pissed that we lost a QB who would start and be lights out after next season when Hebert leaves. All because of shitty coaches.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I was working during the game and when I got out and tuned in the radio I just had to laugh when Tua's name got brought up. It doesn't even matter if he would have beat out Herbert because it's obvious that he's going to be a great one and he wanted to be a Duck. Now we don't even stand a chance with his little brother.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

If he was fine sitting behind Hurts for much of the season, I'm sure he'd have done the same behind Herbert.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Having Tua and Herbert would have been great, and I would love to see them fight it out and may the better player win. Herbert may have won the job coming into the season, but Tua probably looks really good while Herbert is out injured. Tua has gifts that I'm not sure Herbert has. Not the physical ones, but the calm, cool, collected gene. He looked real smooth and unfazed by a great defense. It's not outrageous to expect Tua could have beaten out Herbert.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Groundswell wrote:Having Tua and Herbert would have been great, and I would love to see them fight it out and may the better player win. Herbert may have won the job coming into the season, but Tua probably looks really good while Herbert is out injured. Tua has gifts that I'm not sure Herbert has. Not the physical ones, but the calm, cool, collected gene. He looked real smooth and unfazed by a great defense. It's not outrageous to expect Tua could have beaten out Herbert.
I was surprised how physical he ran, which I’m sure Saban and co will coach out of him. He’s not a big guy and he was going head first into the UGA defenders. Kid has special written all over him, even with his funky delivery.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

theres Alabama's future right there.. The other thing is also all of the freshman for bama that
played big roles in.. They are going to be the team to beat. I dont like SEC teams but i respect
how they have built those teams. Bama and Georgia are the teams you take note of and do what
Mario is wanting to do and copy their blue print.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/in ... b_and.html
"At first I thought he was going to go to (Hawaii), so I was thinking of staying home too," Tagovailoa said as a sophomore. "But when Marcus committed to the Oregon Ducks, I switched everything. If I got the opportunity to go to Oregon, they'd be at the top of the list."
"It's kind of hard when I'm not keeping in contact or I have no contact. It's hard to say that now, because of that," he said in April 2015. "I don't know if they are showing interest at any point in time. I know it's kind of early, especially since they have a recruiting process, but... it's all right."