Oregon @ Arizona (Saturday 11 am ESPN2)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Oregon @ Arizona (Saturday 11 am ESPN2)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon really needs for Troy Brown to get going. He just seems to disappear from way too many games.
I'm actually going to blame Altman for that. He has a very short leash for him and he's putting him outside of his comfort zone. I've been impressed with his fight down low at times this season but he's a PG, that's what he wants and that is what he's most comfortable with. Altman put him in a position he doesn't want to play. I can actually relate, cause in high school, I loved playing PG. I always practiced as PG and wanted to be a PG. I would spend at least 90 minutes a day dribbling in my parents' garage, sometimes blindfolded. But I was considered tall (6'1" is tall in Eugene/Springfield) and I could jump very high, so they put me at the 4 and 5 to get rebounds. I hated playing downlow and that's what killed me. I told the coaches I wanted to play PG but they just told me that's for the 5'4" guys. I honestly somewhat feel it's the same for Brown. He's taller than Prichard and Elijah so he's stuck at the 3. I will continue to say that I believe Troy Brown should be the PG and Prichard should be the SG. Prichard seems more comfortable shooting than facilitating anyways. If matchups are the problem. then put Brown at the 3 on defense and 1 on offense.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

greenyellow wrote:
bigsugarduck wrote:Oregon fought very tough till the end but predictable the whistles stopped on the Oregon half of the Court in the last 4 min. Nonetheless Oregon grew on the court and like where they are heading...
It really wasn't the refs who stopped the Ducks in the final 4 minutes as Oregon was just taking and missing a bunch of shots during the 3 minutes out of the under-4 timeout. Like the effort but the execution still isn't where it needs to be consistently.
Yes. Ayton and Ristic both with 4 fouls, the Ducks have a lead; perfect time to go hard at them at the basket. What does Oregon do? Takes and misses three 3's in a row.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

The effort is there but there just isn't enough skill on the team to beat uber talented teams like Arizona. Proud of the guys, though.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

According to Prehm:
"Troy Brown's +/- was -14. Elijah Brown was -15 despite going off for 25 points."
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Phenom wrote:According to Prehm:
"Troy Brown's +/- was -14. Elijah Brown was -15 despite going off for 25 points."
Elijah Brown’s perimeter defense is hard to watch. “Should I guard that open guy or let them have an open three? I think I’ll let them have an open three. Coach Altman will appreciate that.”
Kyle's Brother
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kyle's Brother »

I think the crowd changed the game. The refs really set the tone for the end of the game when they put arizona on the line like 8 times in a row at one point in the final 8 minutes. Pac 12 refs are so quick to capitulate when players feign contact, coaches lean on them, or fans get loud.

Arizona looked good though. I don't think they're good enough to make any noise this year, but Ayton is a man amongst boys out there. He almost looks bored battling with smaller, slower, less athletic posts. At one point he went around Sorkin so quickly that I don't think Sorkin realized what had happened until it was over, and I just started laughing. It just wasn't even fair. Arizona has some good shooters, too. I kind of can't stand Trier, but he's a phenomenal player. He could easily be called for an offensive foul on every drive, the way he throws a forearm out to create contact. It works though, and he's such a fantastic shooter from deep that it makes him really difficult to stop. You just have to hope he goes cold.

We're a weird team. There isn't a ton left to be said that hasn't been said. I think one thing that we really lack is someone that can finish at the rim. McIntosh battles his heart out every game, but he struggles to finish at the rim pretty frequently. Elijah Brown is too slow to get to the rim against pac 12 wings. Pritchard is so small that when they collapse he pretty much has to kick the ball out. Troy Brown is the really weird case though. He drives well, but finishes about as soft at the rim as anyone I've ever seen. More often than not he'll shoot some kind of weird fadeaway layup. It's a low percentage shot and it gets blocked more often than you'd expect. You're also never going to get a whistle if you shoot your shot diving away from the hoop. He just needs to realize that he's got the size and athleticism to finish over people at the rim. He's just gotta go harder. Imagine if Troy Brown attacked the rim the way Elgin Cook did. It's like Brown does all the hard work to get there, then doesn't want to finish it. When he puts it together he's gonna start scoring 20/game and he's gonna live at the line.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Agreed about what you said; first is the Ref's being intimidated by the crowd, how else to explain EB getting T'd for a clap, while Miller goes batcrazy and nothing. On Ayton seeming to be bored sometimes, that could explain how this game played out; AZ getting out to double digit leads, then the Ducks fight back, take a small lead, AZ gets back to business and pulls away again.
I think that is why you're also right about AZ not making a lot of noise this season. A dominant team doesn't let that happen, and is why I think the Ducks have a good shot at beating AZ in MKA.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »