Strike 2 for Cristobal and staff

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Strike 2 for Cristobal and staff

Post by GrantDuck »

Boise was strike 1.

Strike 2 is recruiting like you're Mark Helfrich.

Better win 9+ this season.

The thread about this hire being a big mistake is locked. Hopefully I'm wrong, but early returns are awful.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Strike 2 for Cristobal and staff

Post by Duck07 »

Good old Optimistic GrantDuck. Who do you think you're convincing with this?
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

how do you get a strike trying to clean up after Slick left in the middle of the night.
give the man and staff a chance. Of course you can always apply for the job if and when it
comes up...sheesh
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

But this absolute faceplant after all the visits and travelling by the staff sure doesn't look good and I bet a lot of casual Duck fans will be asking themselves "This is it?" after so many people up top were saying MC was a top-flight recruiter, as was his staff. This doesn't help fix the narrative that Oregon is under good management once again.
QuackAddict91
High School Drop Out

Different year same crap !

Post by QuackAddict91 »

Another miserable national signing day for UO...all thanks to willie taggart being the biggest god damn traitor this side of Benedict Arnold...only Oregon could go from a top ten class to out of the top 25...what a sick joke
GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Different year same crap !

Post by GrantDuck »

QuackAddict91 wrote:Another miserable national signing day for UO...all thanks to willie taggart being the biggest god damn traitor this side of Benedict Arnold...only Oregon could go from a top ten class to out of the top 25...what a sick joke
Taggart wasn't the WR coach. Some of the blame goes on him for guys leaving, absolutely, but they lack of closing is mostly on the current staff and head man.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I just want to have 1 thread I can bookmark and bump that shows I think this was an awful and rushed hire.

I felt the same way about Don Pellum.

I was neutral on Helfrich and Hoke.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I posted this in chat, but Oregon is 11-15 the last two seasons and has had 3 different head coaches in that span. Not to mention our head coach left us a few months ago, and frankly a lot of our commits came here because of WT.

There are probably only like 10 schools in the country that could do such a thing and still end up with a top 20 recruiting class. Just saying.

Yeah it sucks to be the favorite for a few dudes going into the last week or two of signing day and miss out, but hopefully coaches learn from it. And with a new year of football ahead and a whole year to prepare for next signing day, I think we'll be fine. If a finish like this happens again next year, then yeah start getting worried. But until then, you should be elated with what we ended up with. IMO the complaining is not justified at all.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:I just want to have 1 thread I can bookmark and bump that shows I think this was an awful and rushed hire.

I felt the same way about Don Pellum.

I was neutral on Helfrich and Hoke.
We wouldn't even have a top 20 class if they didn't hire MC. I would bet on that.

mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

We have huge some quality problems at WR and LB, and a major depth problem at DB. I don't know if we are taking transfers or what, but I don't see us getting 8 wins next year. Good thing we have a good schedule. I hope Cristobal makes up for this so-so recruiting with his coaching. Because we have lost momentum. No idea how we get it back.
Last edited by mattc94 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I posted this in chat, but Oregon is 11-15 the last two seasons and has had 3 different head coaches in that span. Not to mention our head coach left us a few months ago, and frankly a lot of our commits came here because of WT.

There are probably only like 10 schools in the country that could do such a thing and still end up with a top 20 recruiting class. Just saying.

Yeah it sucks to be the favorite for a few dudes going into the last week or two of signing day and miss out, but hopefully coaches learn from it. And with a new year of football ahead and a whole year to prepare for next signing day, I think we'll be fine. If a finish like this happens again next year, then yeah start getting worried. But until then, you should be elated with what we ended up with. IMO the complaining is not justified at all.
Tk1 i totally agree however your i believe talking to a brick wall. I believe in supporting the
players that want to be here. This is a good class. They now can build the relationships with 2019
recruits. These coaches only had 2 monthes to reassure these kids that the staff was now stable.
Willie left the ducks high and dry. Did more damage then maybe we believed. Oregon is going to
be fine. But what do i know.. ive only been a true duck fan since the mid 60's.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

I always like to give a new coach a kind of first year pass...within reason. I'm not counting some crappy Las Vegas Bowl as a strike. No I didn't like how MC was telling the team how ready they were leading up to the game only to watch them mail it in. But it's a crappy, meaningless bowl. This finish is pretty ugly though, and there's really no way to sugar coat it. And I'm not confident at all in Arroyo and think he's a mistake, and I don't like the idea MC is not hiring an OL coach. But it's MC's show to run. I'm giving him a season.

Also, we got DJ Johnson, and maybe we'll get some other transfer surprises.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Post by mattc94 »

Groundswell wrote:I always like to give a new coach a kind of first year pass...within reason. I'm not counting some crappy Las Vegas Bowl as a strike. No I didn't like how MC was telling the team how ready they were leading up to the game only to watch them mail it in. But it's a crappy, meaningless bowl. This finish is pretty ugly though, and there's really no way to sugar coat it. And I'm not confident at all in Arroyo and think he's a mistake, and I don't like the idea MC is not hiring an OL coach. But it's MC's show to run. I'm giving him a season.

Also, we got DJ Johnson, and maybe we'll get some other transfer surprises.
I am thinking it was a rush hire. The players wanted him and they wanted to keep the class together. But the Bowl Game looks bad and the recruiting ending looks worse. I think he deserves a year to see how the offense adjusts under Arroyo. But it isn't a good look so far.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duckfan22 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:I posted this in chat, but Oregon is 11-15 the last two seasons and has had 3 different head coaches in that span. Not to mention our head coach left us a few months ago, and frankly a lot of our commits came here because of WT.

Tk1 i totally agree however your i believe talking to a brick wall. I believe in supporting the
players that want to be here. This is a good class. They now can build the relationships with 2019
recruits. These coaches only had 2 monthes to reassure these kids that the staff was now stable.
Willie left the ducks high and dry. Did more damage then maybe we believed. Oregon is going to
be fine. But what do i know.. ive only been a true duck fan since the mid 60's.
Exactly, things will be fine.

Want a fun stat? If we land Sewell, this will be tied for the most 4/5 star commits we've ever had in a recruiting class!

Try doing that with only 2 months of recruiting and damage control. And that's coming off the two worst seasons we've had in like 20 years lol.

TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

How did we get so spoiled that a top 20 class means the beginning of the apocalypse?
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher