DE: DJ Johnson
DT: Austin Faoliu, Popo Aumavae
DT: Jordon Scott, Sione Vea Kava
DE: Andrew Faoliu

Special Teams
P: Adam Stack
PK: Adam Stack
LS: Karsten Battles
Last edited by StevensTechU on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Combined Classes - Basis for evaluation

Post by StevensTechU »

I made a few discretionary choices as to where I listed a couple players (Burch, Stephens), and included one walk-on (Irwin).

The strengths of the combined classes are not what most of us are used to seeing. DT is solid, while the speed positions look.. egh. A running back or two maybe need to move to the defensive backfield.

My overall impression is pretty "meh." I'm not sold on any of the OL except for Sewell, because I don't think there's enough athleticism among the guys there (I'm hopeful on Steve Jones, though). There's a load of talent in the defensive backfield among Graham-Lenoir-Holland-Stephens; we could see a safety play out of position, ala Jairus Byrd, and I think that guy is likely Holland. Linebacker is up in the air. Defensive end would benefit from transfers/JUCOs. Tight end needs a boost, too.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

This is why the ability to coach is important. We saw some good things from the defense in particular last year and now it's about player development. While there are needs on the roster, I don't think there are massive holes such as at CB. I think we've got a lot of talent at some of those positions and now its about player development.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Your combining of two years to view recruiting makes a lot of sense. The 247 team ranking by assigned points is often crap because you can have a fantastic class of 5 and 4 stars and come up lower ranked because you had a big class the year before and just didn't need many recruits. It's why I look at average ranking per player rather than points.

With the new rule regarding redshirting, there will be a lot more redshirts, which means more players will stay 5 years and there will be smaller recruiting classes to stay under the 85 total limit. The integration of the last two recruiting classes, true and redshirt freshman becomes even more important.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Missing a couple big time guys. Also our lines need some help.

I think our OL will develop fine. MC knows what he's doing and who he's getting. All those guys except Sewell, he had his eyes on for a while and they stuck with it after coaching changes. So overall, just wish we had a couple more dynamic skills position players. But like 07 said, this is where we see how good our coaches are at developing players.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

It's kind of funny, when you think about it, that this looks like a Stanford-esque team. Hulking guys at OL, a pocket passer, no difference makers on the outside, and a pretty strong defensive side of the ball.

Only problem, though, is that Stanford has been sucessful with that formula because they pull in 5* offensive linemen and NFL-caliber QBs. The assemblage that Oregon has here is somewhere in-between Stanford and Utah.

I may sound pessimistic, but I'm really just doing my best to be objective.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

We have more playmakers than you think.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

I'm pretty much with you on this. We're actually doing better on the defensive side of the ball than we have in years. The OL is pretty good. I think we're all so used to Greatwood guys, and we loved Greatwood so much, that it's kind of hard to evaluate all these big 320+ dudes. However, our skill positions on offense look pretty meh. I really like Verdell at RB. Felix looks good. I'm not sold on any of the others. WR? I honestly had Hall and Crocker on the bottom of my WR want list, and those are the two highest ranked guys we've gotten there. I'm not sold on them. They could be good, but when I watch their tape I don't get to excited. Shough can make a lot of throws and has touch and is pretty calm and cool in the pocket. I watched one game of his last year, and his team was out-classed and his OL getting killed. Shough couldn't beat them with athleticism. He played smart and tried to take what he was given, but a high school team completely shut him down. I was impressed by his moxie though. I guess I like an athletic quarterback over a pocket guy. He looks like a nice pocket guy though. I think if we can improve our failure rates over the Helf years, and actually develop players, we're certainly trending in the right direction. We need to be impressive on offense this year so we can improve the skill positions.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Phenom wrote:We have more playmakers than you think.
Who do you have in mind? I'm hopeful about Verdell and Felix, and think Redd comes along further this year.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I really like Isaiah Crocker.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I think you can add Adam Stack for kicker?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck wrote:I think you can add Adam Stack for kicker?
I was wondering why he wasn't added since he was an early enrollee and did play (even if he wasn't exactly having the greatest year as the punter.)
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

As far as overall, not enough defensive linemen is the big one that pops to me.

WR..we need Crocker or Hall to really pop as a freshman, but we've gotten a lot of bodies that hopefully we can develop.

The rest really looks pretty good, especially those combined linebacker classes. Secondary has a lot of VHT guys and OL, given the positive reports on the freshman last year I think looks solid.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Phenom wrote:We have more playmakers than you think.
Who do you think is a playmaker?

I don't see any "Oregon" skill guys.

I've got my fingers crossed for Felix and Verdell but they haven't proven anything. TBJ is always injured and Taj is a flop.

The receivers are awful. It's a damn shame to have Herbert and no one to throw to. Mitchell is a P5 guy at least but it's a precipitous drop after that.

TE is another area of concern. I like Breeland and Webb is promising, but there's no depth.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Duck07 wrote:I really like Isaiah Crocker.
Me too but hes a dev guy, needs a RS and a couple years to gain some weight

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk