Kerr and Popovich talk politics

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Phalanx
Senior

Re: Kerr and Popovich talk politics

Post by Phalanx »

Yeah, so if you read that article, it says he doesn't talk a lot about politics.
Although he's not always so forthcoming with his personal political opinions — imagine that!
a reporter covering the game thought it might be worth asking Pop if he'd talked with his players about the ongoing shutdown of the United States government, which began two weeks ago amid partisan debate over government spending, the Affordable Care Act and an upcoming vote on whether to raise the nation's debt limit; the shutdown has resulted in, among other things, the unpaid furlough of hundreds of thousands of federal employees.

As it turns out, according to Eye on Basketball's Matt Moore, the shutdown hasn't been an especially large topic of conversation in a Spurs locker room bent on preparing for another long NBA season
You are actually one of the people saying he had a long history of it. I was just curious if you could demonstrate that point. It kind of seems like he has mostly been 'Popping off' since Trump got elected.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Re: Portland Trail Blazers 2017-18 Thread

Post by Groundswell »

Phalanx wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
So Pop's long history of talking about politics doesn't count because he doesn't talk about the issues you care about? What a dumb take.

And you have no idea who reads books or knows anything about the world. I'm pretty sure Pop and Kerr have a much better sense of how the world works than you do.
I see people in this thread talking about his 'long history', and I admit that i haven't followed his political opinions over the years, but I don't see anyone providing any examples before 2016. And I am apparently not the only one.
Cillizza: Prior to 2016, Popovich seemed content to coach basketball and not offer a whole lot of thoughts about politics. Is his outspokenness now all about Trump? Or something else?
https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/17/politics ... index.html

Can anyone give me a few examples of this long history you keep referring to?

Thanks.
I lived near San Antonio for many years and followed the Spurs. He often drifted a bit towards politics. Mostly small scale and in situations where the questioning lead in that direction. He's always been an interesting interview and has talked about cultural issues. Again, those weren't the full-throated rants he's getting publicity for now, but he's been making comments his whole career. He's a military man, in a military city, so I've heard him speak on military issues a number of times. Again, not this overt, but when the situation dictated it. He's certainly spoken on racism long before Trump. Again, Trump is a special kind of bizzaro. Even if you love him, you know this to be true. He's going to be reacted to strongly. Lots of normal, regular, non-Libtard people think the dude is a trip into insanity. It's not just the "crazy-Left". I know you're reasonable enough to understand this, so I think you should also be reasonable enough not to get worked up about what NBA coaches think.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Phalanx wrote:Yeah, so if you read that article, it says he doesn't talk a lot about politics.
Although he's not always so forthcoming with his personal political opinions — imagine that!
a reporter covering the game thought it might be worth asking Pop if he'd talked with his players about the ongoing shutdown of the United States government, which began two weeks ago amid partisan debate over government spending, the Affordable Care Act and an upcoming vote on whether to raise the nation's debt limit; the shutdown has resulted in, among other things, the unpaid furlough of hundreds of thousands of federal employees.

As it turns out, according to Eye on Basketball's Matt Moore, the shutdown hasn't been an especially large topic of conversation in a Spurs locker room bent on preparing for another long NBA season
You are actually one of the people saying he had a long history of it. I was just curious if you could demonstrate that point. It kind of seems like he has mostly been 'Popping off' since Trump got elected.
I gave you an example that took me thirty seconds to find of him talking about politics five years ago. The article contains links to several other times politics have come up in relation to him, all from even before that. I also just don't see why it matters that he became more vocal after Trump got elected. It's a weird thing to make an issue over.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

If it is so weird to make an issue over it, why did you and others bring it up?

The bottom line is that Pop is a democrat who has gotten increasingly loud about politics since Trump got elected, and in my opinion, he is making a fool of himself, much like the orange-haired guy he likes to rant about. I see nothing in his words that makes me think his positions are well thought out or consistent, and I would much rather not be inundated with his opinion. I'm not all that interested in the name-calling, etc. He has the right to say what he wants, and I have the right to be irritated by his stupidity.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Stupid question...

If you don't like it then why don't you just ignore it?
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

FlDuckFan wrote:Stupid question...

The funny thing about this question is that as soon as it is asked, it more or less answers itself.

Anyway, I mostly do ignore it, but you have to admit, it is in the media a lot.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12

Post by FlDuckFan »

Phalanx wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:Stupid question...

The funny thing about this question is that as soon as it is asked, it more or less answers itself.

Anyway, I mostly do ignore it, but you have to admit, it is in the media a lot.
I quit watching ESPN once it turned into TMZ and two people arguing with each other. I miss the old days of highlights.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Phalanx wrote:If it is so weird to make an issue over it, why did you and others bring it up?

The bottom line is that Pop is a democrat who has gotten increasingly loud about politics since Trump got elected, and in my opinion, he is making a fool of himself, much like the orange-haired guy he likes to rant about. I see nothing in his words that makes me think his positions are well thought out or consistent, and I would much rather not be inundated with his opinion. I'm not all that interested in the name-calling, etc. He has the right to say what he wants, and I have the right to be irritated by his stupidity.
LOL. Come on, Phalanx. His rants aren't stupid. He's trying to appeal to pretty traditional values. He comes off as sincere. He isn't squealing about conspiracy theories or empty do-gooderisms. He's a thoughtful and reasonable dude, and you can't stand it. Think about that for a second. Think about how far around the bend you might be if you're annoyed by a thoughtful and reasonable dude. You aren't this far lost are you? So far lost that you think that just to be a Democrat is stupidity? I mean, that's exactly what you are saying.

PS. You know by every objective measure that Pop is nowhere near the level of foolish in his rantings as the orange-haired guy. You know you can't say that with a straight face.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Groundswell wrote:
Phalanx wrote:If it is so weird to make an issue over it, why did you and others bring it up?

LOL. Come on, Phalanx. His rants aren't stupid. He's trying to appeal to pretty traditional values. He comes off as sincere. He isn't squealing about conspiracy theories or empty do-gooderisms. He's a thoughtful and reasonable dude, and you can't stand it. Think about that for a second. Think about how far around the bend you might be if you're annoyed by a thoughtful and reasonable dude. You aren't this far lost are you? So far lost that you think that just to be a Democrat is stupidity? I mean, that's exactly what you are saying.

PS. You know by every objective measure that Pop is nowhere near the level of foolish in his rantings as the orange-haired guy. You know you can't say that with a straight face.
I think you are misunderstanding me. First of all, I never said anything like 'just to be a Democrat is stupidity'. I think you are getting me mixed up with the refugee from the Woodshed in this thread. I mentioned that Popovitch was a Democrat because he has clearly lost his sense of poise and some degree of control of his tongue since Trump was elected. Politicians lie and say stupid things all the time. Obama, Bush, all of them. I just think it is funny how people like Popovitch suddenly feel like it is okay to say these things about this particular politician. It's pure partisan drivel. It's not thoughtful or reasonable. You just say that because what he is saying appeals to your team. To quote Treebeard, "I am on no one's side, because nobody is on my side." So I see things a little more objectively than you, despite your protestations.

We have our tax money in this country going to pay for abortions on demand. We also have a foreign policy that bombs people's weddings and supports terrorist organizations so that they can build oil pipelines, or murder foreign leaders to keep them from setting up a gold-for-oil program that would undermine our petrodollar. We give bankers who have zero loyalty to this country wide discretion about our monetary policy and then back it up with our military as if they were the main interest in our country. These policies never change, from President to President. Every one of them hires Goldman Sachs employees in multiple cabinet positions. Every one of them spends us into further economic oblivion. Every one of them seeks to advance the power and control of a state that has proven itself over and over to be an abject failure.

So maybe the best thing to do is ignore Popovitch and his petty partisan garbage. But certainly, when someone here says he really likes it, I can also chime in that I don't.

Anyway, I hate these discussions, so this is my last comment. Cheers.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Phalanx wrote:
Groundswell wrote:

I think you are misunderstanding me. First of all, I never said anything like 'just to be a Democrat is stupidity'. I think you are getting me mixed up with the refugee from the Woodshed in this thread. I mentioned that Popovitch was a Democrat because he has clearly lost his sense of poise and some degree of control of his tongue since Trump was elected. Politicians lie and say stupid things all the time. Obama, Bush, all of them. I just think it is funny how people like Popovitch suddenly feel like it is okay to say these things about this particular politician. It's pure partisan drivel. It's not thoughtful or reasonable. You just say that because what he is saying appeals to your team. To quote Treebeard, "I am on no one's side, because nobody is on my side." So I see things a little more objectively than you, despite your protestations.

We have our tax money in this country going to pay for abortions on demand. We also have a foreign policy that bombs people's weddings and supports terrorist organizations so that they can build oil pipelines, or murder foreign leaders to keep them from setting up a gold-for-oil program that would undermine our petrodollar. We give bankers who have zero loyalty to this country wide discretion about our monetary policy and then back it up with our military as if they were the main interest in our country. These policies never change, from President to President. Every one of them hires Goldman Sachs employees in multiple cabinet positions. Every one of them spends us into further economic oblivion. Every one of them seeks to advance the power and control of a state that has proven itself over and over to be an abject failure.

So maybe the best thing to do is ignore Popovitch and his petty partisan garbage. But certainly, when someone here says he really likes it, I can also chime in that I don't.

To say all politicians lie is like saying all people can paint like Van Gogh. 45 lies at a 70%+ clip. He’s the automatic weapon of lying. Don’t normalize his bullsh!t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Phalanx wrote:
Groundswell wrote:

If I misunderstood, it's because you said Pop is a Democrat who is now ranting about Trump so he's stupid. I guess I took that to mean you didn't like what he was saying so you think he's stupid. FYI. I listen to the "other side" all the time. I hear people out, especially thoughtful and reasonable people. Yes, to be President means you have to spin the tough decisions you have to make. Every president has to do unpopular things. Credit Pop for having this level of understanding. What Trump is is a whole other level of insanity. We elect presidents because we think even if they have to make unpopular decisions they will at least take advice and think hard and be as strategic as possible. Often it's ugly business. Pop is a military man who trained to be a spy. You act like he doesn't understand these things. What the orange dude is is scary in the face of these issues. I don't think you're giving people enough credit for understanding presidential dynamics and the system we have in place that caters to military contractors and wall street and monied interests. Handing that over to the orange dude? It's insanity. I don't see why you're having such a hard time seeing that Trump invites a different set of standards. You knew that when you voted for him. I honestly do not see Trump as a "sides" issue. I don't yell at the other side just because. I'm not that far gone. I don't mind that you get annoyed, but Pop isn't some crazy Lefty. At least save your distaste for the real far out there weirdos. That's the difference between partisan drivel and reasonable takes.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

As a Republican/conservative Christian, I think a lot of the problems we are currently having is that we are far too ingrained into the 2 party system. Too often Republicans are coming to the defense of Trump on countless issues when, realistically, he is only speaking for himself and he is not speaking for me as a registered conservative.

Sadly, we had two self aggrandizing candidates in 2016 that many forced themselves into supporting one way or the other. No longer can we have a stance on issues, but instead it's just right vs left and it's become vitriolic and both sides view the other as the enemy now instead of their neighbor(Trump is awful with this I'll admit but the left has taken that stance and run with it IMO).
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12

Post by FlDuckFan »

lukeyrid13 wrote:As a Republican/conservative Christian, I think a lot of the problems we are currently having is that we are far too ingrained into the 2 party system. Too often Republicans are coming to the defense of Trump on countless issues when, realistically, he is only speaking for himself and he is not speaking for me as a registered conservative.

Sadly, we had two self aggrandizing candidates in 2016 that many forced themselves into supporting one way or the other. No longer can we have a stance on issues, but instead it's just right vs left and it's become vitriolic and both sides view the other as the enemy now instead of their neighbor(Trump is awful with this I'll admit but the left has taken that stance and run with it IMO).

Well put
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

lukeyrid13 wrote:As a Republican/conservative Christian, I think a lot of the problems we are currently having is that we are far too ingrained into the 2 party system. Too often Republicans are coming to the defense of Trump on countless issues when, realistically, he is only speaking for himself and he is not speaking for me as a registered conservative.

This vitriol started in the 1980's on AM radio and has only escalated since. It started on the Right. I'm not going to excuse the Left because they have gotten pretty brutal, which started during the W. Bush years as a reaction to Fox News and the AM radio dial that had been attacking "libtards" for years. The hatred on AM radio is 30 plus years old. But, yes, now the Left is fighting back just as brutally. It's been toxic for both sides. The Left are "Feminazi Libtards" and the Right is "stupid, uneducated, racists". We all don't do a good enough job working to convince people who retreat to these "types" that it's just not true for most people lumped into either group.

But I will say this, and this isn't directed at you personally, lukeyrid13, or Phalanx, anybody in particular, but whomever voted for Trump he is in fact speaking for you. That's where your vote went. You get to write in whomever you want. You have choices. Conservatives had 20 candidates to chose from. It's not a bi-nary trap. You literally get to write any name you want. You knew exactly what you were getting when you cast a Trump vote. There's been no surprises here. He is who he's always been. The only way Trump is not speaking for you is if you denounce him and turn your back on him like a lot of thoughtful Conservatives have done. Otherwise, he's who you've chosen to represent you. Obviously, I'm being hyperbolic, but that is the very ideal of representation. I'm sympathetic to the "sometimes you have to hold your nose" vote argument, but not for the orange dude. He's way out of bounds. Our vote comes with consequences.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Groundswell wrote:
This vitriol started in the 1980's on AM radio and has only escalated since. It started on the Right. I'm not going to excuse the Left because they have gotten pretty brutal, which started during the W. Bush years as a reaction to Fox News and the AM radio dial that had been attacking "libtards" for years. The hatred on AM radio is 30 plus years old. But, yes, now the Left is fighting back just as brutally. It's been toxic for both sides. The Left are "Feminazi Libtards" and the Right is "stupid, uneducated, racists". We all don't do a good enough job working to convince people who retreat to these "types" that it's just not true for most people lumped into either group.

But I will say this, and this isn't directed at you personally, lukeyrid13, or Phalanx, anybody in particular, but whomever voted for Trump he is in fact speaking for you. That's where your vote went. You get to write in whomever you want. You have choices. Conservatives had 20 candidates to chose from. It's not a bi-nary trap. You literally get to write any name you want. You knew exactly what you were getting when you cast a Trump vote. There's been no surprises here. He is who he's always been. The only way Trump is not speaking for you is if you denounce him and turn your back on him like a lot of thoughtful Conservatives have done. Otherwise, he's who you've chosen to represent you. Obviously, I'm being hyperbolic, but that is the very ideal of representation. I'm sympathetic to the "sometimes you have to hold your nose" vote argument, but not for the orange dude. He's way out of bounds. Our vote comes with consequences.
I'm sure you believe you are being reasonable and objective, but you need to understand there is an opposite perspective on this. First of all, Rush Limbaugh in the 80's and Fox news were the reactions to years of liberal monopolies on the media. That's why they spread like wildfire, everyone was sick of the politics of the major networks and newspapers. AM radio was barely even a thing back then; they used to throw the AM station in whenever an FM station was sold. Limbaugh and the guys that followed him were filling a massive void in the market.

Secondly, lots of Republican voted for Not Trump. It wasn't conservative Republicans that got him elected, because he isn't a conservative Republican. It was TV watchers. It was people who had never voted Republican in their lives before coming out in droves. But I think the left had a major hand in getting Trump elected. It was the reaction to their nutty behavior in the media, all of the insane social justice warrior crap that caused a backlash. It was the stopping traffic, and punching Trump supporters, even women. A common refrain among Republicans was 'stop making me like Trump'. The media gave him free attention whenever he wanted it, and as usual, they chose the Republican nominee among a field of much better candidates.

There were and are real issues that got Trump elected over Hillary. One major one was promise of protectionist tariffs (a traditionally left-wing position) to benefit the rust belt while Obama had been telling so many workers in that region to retrain into other fields. The Democrats lost those states because they were tone deaf. Also, Trump eventually got conservatives on board by talking about the Supreme Court. After Obama's picks of far left justices threatened to tip the balance into nutty left-wing constitutional interpretation, voting for Trump was a defensive move more than anything.

One of the few things that Bush did that I liked was putting a ban on the barbaric practice of partial-birth abortion. Not murdering babies seems like a no-brainer to any reasonable human being, but it was one of the very first things that Obama undid when he took office. Obama also actively raised ISIS up from a small band of rebels into a killing machine all over Iraq and Syria, just so he could get a freaking pipeline built, and he deposed and assassinated Gadaffi to keep him from setting up a gold-for-oil trade, which led to the slave trade in Libya. In his economy, competing with the Petrodollar must not be tolerated, trading slaves is more acceptable than trading gold. So when someone like you tells me how awful Trump is because he made a quirky tweet, you'll have to forgive me if I seem to be looking past you a little bit. This country and the world have a lot bigger problems. Trump, for all of his immaturity and stupidity, has a long way to go before he has as much blood on his hands as the last guy.