Returning starters vs. 3rd year returning starters

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Returning starters vs. 3rd year returning starters

Post by GrantDuck »

Just spitballin' as we go through camp and anxiously away the season. Lots of great stuff coming out of media day from the players...and I realized, returning starters is quite incomplete stat. It could be a guy who started 5 games as a freshman "returning" as a sophomore or it could be a 4th year senior.

In our case, we've got a LOT of 3rd year starters and guys that have played a lot as starters. Herbert, 4 OL, TBJ(3rd year with major playing time); Dye, Jelks, Hollins, Ugo. That's 10/22 starters that will be starting for the 3rd year in a row.(9 if you don't want to count TBJ). Took their lumps as young players, but have really physically and mentally matured.

Looking forward to seeing how that experience plays out.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Returning starters vs. 3rd year returning starters

Post by karlhungis »

Cristobal has the tools to have a pretty good season this year. I think the success of this team will fall squarely on the shoulders of Cristobal and Arroyo. We have the talent, the defense should be solid, let's see what they can do with it.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Anyone else concerned about the size of our ILB's? Apelu: 204; ISM: 209; Niu: 212 (per Oregon roster). Of course we have Dye and the new recruits Adrian Jackson and MJ are bigger, but the 3 I listed weights for technically should have a better shot at playing this year and they're not exactly what I would call run stoppers....
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

ducks5ever wrote:Anyone else concerned about the size of our ILB's? Apelu: 204; ISM: 209; Niu: 212 (per Oregon roster). Of course we have Dye and the new recruits Adrian Jackson and MJ are bigger, but the 3 I listed weights for technically should have a better shot at playing this year and they're not exactly what I would call run stoppers....
Yep, but the name Kevin Mitchell comes to mind. He must have been 195lbs wet, and was a freaking headhunter. Get what you are selling, but hoping drive and smarts compensates for size. I’m a positive thinker, obviously.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

ducks5ever wrote:Anyone else concerned about the size of our ILB's? Apelu: 204; ISM: 209; Niu: 212 (per Oregon roster). Of course we have Dye and the new recruits Adrian Jackson and MJ are bigger, but the 3 I listed weights for technically should have a better shot at playing this year and they're not exactly what I would call run stoppers....
I do remember Apelu getting run over a few times in the past few years, sometimes you can't overcome physics. But give me 210 pound guys who can form tackle, run, and get their bodies in the right place over a prototypical 240 pound guy who is out of place any day of the week.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Apelu is one tough SOB. Straight ran off the field with a broken ankle last season!

That said, he's not a top 25 D-1 linebacker type. He just isn't big or fast enough. I'd expect that the freshman Adrian Jackson plays more as the season goes on. I also think there's a decent chance Slade and Niu weigh more now. They didn't move them from last year's weights. Chip used to sandbag our D-lineman weights all the time.

Not worried about Troy Dye.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Clay was our best LB over the last 15 years, and his Sr year he played at 210. I can see ISM being in the same mold.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Clay was our best LB over the last 15 years, and his Sr year he played at 210. I can see ISM being in the same mold.
oh
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

justducky0 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Clay was our best LB over the last 15 years, and his Sr year he played at 210. I can see ISM being in the same mold.
oh

Who was better? Not kiko, it took him 3 years to figure it out. Clay stepped in day 1 and was the man. He just didnt have the size or speed to do it in the nfl.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
justducky0 wrote:
oh

Who was better? Not kiko, it took him 3 years to figure it out. Clay stepped in day 1 and was the man. He just didnt have the size or speed to do it in the nfl.
I’m a Spencer Paysinger guy myself.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:
justducky0 wrote:
oh

Clay had strengths and weaknesses, just like nearly everyone. He racked up tackles against run-centric teams like Stanford and Wisconsin, but the teams that played out wide and had tons of athleticism were a major Achilles heel. I remember almost feeling bad for him in the shootout against USC.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Casey Matthews was decent imo. I thought Kiko was pretty good as well.
I also might be biased because of Joe Walker's nfl track record so far but I thought he was a very good run stopper but his coverage skills were debatable.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

ducks5ever wrote:Casey Matthews was decent imo. I thought Kiko was pretty good as well.
I also might be biased because of Joe Walker's nfl track record so far but I thought he was a very good run stopper but his coverage skills were debatable.
Can't say that I disagree with anything you jut posted.