We are 8 in the BCS

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Re: We are 8 in the BCS

Post by duckgrad99 »

I would absolutely love to face Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. Between Pryor and most of us on this board hating that team, I would love the opportunity to play them. Actually, I will take any team in the Rose Bowl. I would be so happy for Oregon to just be in that game.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I am not worried about the BCS rankings right now. I am more worried about going down and beating Stanford. Stanford has been a thron in our side a long long time. They beat us in 2001 and cost us an outright shot at playing Miami. They have had a bye week so they will be ready for us.. although dont think can match us they will be playing a great game against us and we must simply take care of business.. and win the day. It will be a challenge though on the road.

In regards to the BCS I am not to terribly worried right now about a top 5 ranking. Cincinatti will have a tough go in November.. so will Iowa..I dont see either of them winning out although Cincinatti has what i believe is a better team Pitt is no slouch. Boise State if we win out we will leapfrog them. Arizona is still on the schedule and Boise States weakness of schedule will drop them. That puts us no less than #5 by time the Rose Bowl comes around if we win out. After the start of ther Season at Boise.. I will be very happy and excited to have such a high rating by seasons end. I think TCU is a lock to get the at large bid for a non BCS school. They are a great team and would love to see Oregon play them... but that will not happen.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

Part of me thinks that Stanford will be a challenge next week, but then I also know that Stanford isn't great defensively and Oregon can put up a ton of points on anyone right now. Like everyone is saying, one week at a time. I still think Oregon can afford one loss and make it to the rose bowl, but let's just be safe and win out.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I think if we hold Gerhart under 100 yards there's no way we lose.
bmxryder507
Two Star Recruit

Post by bmxryder507 »

duckgrad99 wrote:And if opponents aren't going to matter, Oregon should schedule out of conference teams like Portland State and 2 other cupcakes every season. Apparently, playing Boise St, Utah and Purdue made no difference. I don't like the fact that we play a team like Tennessee in the future. What's really to gain there except for bragging rights?
I think taking a trip to neyland(sp?) will be fun. I'll be there and win or lose it'll be a blast!! Although How to convince the miss to go to LA for new years too?
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

A crowd as vocal the Autzen Crazies inside a stadiun the size of Neyland would be incredible... 104,000 seats?

It actually sits on a rise above the river, so it looks even more imposing from the area on that side.

I was there about 15 years ago. The place is really impressive, but I like the intimacy and ambience of Autzen. (And frankly, Autzen is MUCH better looking!)

Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

I hope we play Iowa as well, I think we would dominate them a make a huge statement.. That being said I don't think Iowa will beat OSU.
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

duckgrad99 wrote:I would absolutely love to face Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. Between Pryor and most of us on this board hating that team, I would love the opportunity to play them. Actually, I will take any team in the Rose Bowl. I would be so happy for Oregon to just be in that game.
I would love to beat up on Ohio State too. However, beating a two loss team ranked tenth is not comparable to beating a undfeated team ranked third. We would get a lot more respect nationally, especially because SC already beat tOSU.
I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

uo2010 wrote:

Those are quality wins. And if we were undefeated we would be fourth right now in the BCS. The point is that unless we are a preseason top 5 team, we need to not only go undefeated (in years when there are multiple undefeated teams), but also beat quality teams out of conference. We do not have the reputation yet to schedule nothing but cupcakes.

Your argument is entirely flawed in that you think an undefeated Oregon team deserves to be 4th. I actually think you are wrong to think that they would be. Oregon would probably be 1st or 2nd in the computer rankings if they had beat BSU because of the schedule that they've played. They'd also be no worse than 4th in the polls, which really doesn't matter so much their place in the polls because every vote counts towards the BCS and there likely would not be such a big difference in votes between 1,2,3, or 4th. The computers would've put Oregon in the top 2 of the BCS, I have no doubt.

You talk about reputation is if it should matter whatsoever. Alabama has been mediocre for the better part of the decade and Oregon has been a better program going on 15 years or so. What exactly is earning reputation if it doesn't really even matter the proof that goes into it? There's an inherent bias and it should be patently obvious. Oregon should not have dropped out of the top 25 after their loss to BSU based on the fact that it was a road game and Oregon started out 16th. They should get more credit for their quality wins and they don't. Georgia Tech had one loss, beat Miami and leaped Oregon from 5-6 spots behind. Why? You can't justify it, so why try and make it seem like it's a system that should be respected.

Also, why do say that Bama will beat LSU as if it's a matter of fact. Are you too buying into the hype?
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Pontius wrote:

Also, why do say that Bama will beat LSU as if it's a matter of fact. Are you too buying into the hype?

'Bama will beat LSU there's not a bit of doubt in my mind. I'm forced to watch SEC football every Saturday and I can tell you that Bama's legit (it kills me to say that) and LSU is the most overrated team I've seen this year. Their defense is top notch, but their offense is horrible. They could easily have 3 loses right now.
Pontius
Three Star Recruit

Post by Pontius »

alabamaduck wrote:
Pontius wrote:

'Bama will beat LSU there's not a bit of doubt in my mind. I'm forced to watch SEC football every Saturday and I can tell you that Bama's legit (it kills me to say that) and LSU is the most overrated team I've seen this year. Their defense is top notch, but their offense is horrible. They could easily have 3 loses right now.

The legit Bama team who should've lost to Tennessee at home and struggled with South Carolina at home? Their best win is against a three loss Va Tech team who for some biased reason is still in the top 25. Bama has an amazing defense but their offense is one-dimensional at best. They have not played close to a better schedule than Oregon and have not looked nearly as impressive recently. I don't even think Bama is better than USC. They deserve the ranking because they haven't lost, but to say that an undefeated Oregon team would not be on par with Bama would be drinking the SEC kool-aid.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

Pontius wrote: I don't even think Bama is better than USC. They deserve the ranking because they haven't lost, but to say that an undefeated Oregon team would not be on par with Bama would be drinking the SEC kool-aid.
Where did I say that Oregon wouldn't be on par with Bama? I said Bama was a legit NC contender that can go head to head with anyone in the country and that LSU was over-rated. I'd like nothing more than to see Oregon play Alabama...to be honest I don't know who would win but it would be a hell of a game