Doug Brenner sues UO, Taggart and NCAA for $11.5 million

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: Doug Brenner sues UO, Taggart and NCAA for $11.5 million

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

TualatinDuck wrote:My biggest issue with the incident was Coach O had no educational background or certifications to be a strength and conditioning coach.
True, but he was so swoll. Sooo.... :lol:
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/0 ... -ncaa.html
“This shouldn’t have to happen to any college athlete,” Brenner said. “It’s avoidable.”

The lawsuit names Oderinde, Taggart, UO, and the NCAA as defendants.

Brenner said his urine turned black, “like Coca Cola,” after the workouts. He added that the damage to liver may shorten his life by 10 years.
He's not wrong. Rabdo is scary and it is avoidable if the people running the workout pay attention and do their job correctly.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

FlDuckFan wrote:https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2019/0 ... -ncaa.html
“This shouldn’t have to happen to any college athlete,” Brenner said. “It’s avoidable.”

The lawsuit names Oderinde, Taggart, UO, and the NCAA as defendants.

Brenner said his urine turned black, “like Coca Cola,” after the workouts. He added that the damage to liver may shorten his life by 10 years.
He's not wrong. Rabdo is scary and it is avoidable if the people running the workout pay attention and do their job correctly.

I heard his complete media statement, just to make a correction to avoid confusion, he states he has damaged Kidneys not liver. Black pee? No water? Puke buckets? O2 the next day! Players punished for other passing out or puking! WTF! He needs paid and I hope Willie has to pay something worth while!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

At the time, I passed this off as our players being out of shape but as we look back on how willie treated greif and brushed this off as no big deal I was wrong for siding with willie. To have an unqualified strength coach at the level that Oregon is at and with the facilities and infrastructure we have is inexcusable.

Coach O wanted to show off and make it known he meant business but we are lucky we didn’t have a Maryland situation on our hand.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

lukeyrid13 wrote:At the time, I passed this off as our players being out of shape but as we look back on how willie treated greif and brushed this off as no big deal I was wrong for siding with willie. To have an unqualified strength coach at the level that Oregon is at and with the facilities and infrastructure we have is inexcusable.

Coach O wanted to show off and make it known he meant business but we are lucky we didn’t have a Maryland situation on our hand.
I forgot the Greif stuff is there a link or a post about it?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm glad to see some folks here realizing how serious the rhabdo incident was. (Took me too long to realize Helfrich wasn't right for the program, so trust me, I'm not being condescending here!) Rhabdo is a big deal, and, as someone else said, totally avoidable. What's craziest is that THREE players got it from one workout. That's just unfathomably bad.

Someone else up above made a great point that Oregon -- with all its cutting-edge facilities -- shouldn't be handing the keys to "coaches" who lack even the most basic credentials to do their jobs.

Lesson learned, hopefully. And yes, I hope that somehow Taggart has to pay for this. It was his mess.

Oh, and re: the Grief incident... just Willie "No Excuses" Taggart bitching about how he was wronged and blaming a journalist who did his job fairly.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

FlDuckFan wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:At the time, I passed this off as our players being out of shape but as we look back on how willie treated greif and brushed this off as no big deal I was wrong for siding with willie. To have an unqualified strength coach at the level that Oregon is at and with the facilities and infrastructure we have is inexcusable.

https://www.dailyemerald.com/sports/foo ... eb0fe.html
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:

https://www.dailyemerald.com/sports/foo ... eb0fe.html
"Head coach Willie Taggart, whom Oregon hired to replace Mark Helfrich in December, said he is no longer speaking to The Oregonian reporter who broke the story, claiming that the reporter’s characterization of the workouts as “grueling” and “akin to military basic training” were inaccurate, unfair and directly contradicted what Taggart told the reporter before the story was written."

The only unfairness was to the military... Apparently they take better care of their grunts than Willie does. Contradicting WT appears to be the real "offense" here.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Hope he, and others get their due. The schools were agreeing to take care of their student athletes, and they failed. Players have died when asked to do what they cannot, and ridiculed when they can’t. Nothing can be said to counter that. The culture has to change. But players have to morph as well, and be willing to step up and let coaches know they aren’t up to it. The hardest part is finding middle ground.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Correct me if I'm wrong, has anyone confirmed what Brenner has claimed or is it just his word right now?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, has anyone confirmed what Brenner has claimed or is it just his word right now?
I've got to believe he has medical charts that will be used as part of this process. Oregon will settle out of court but how this plays out for us and little willie in particular will be interesting. I've got to think that with Feld and that specific event that the AD has perhaps prepared for this potentiality by making sure we're on the up and up with everything we've done since. Of course the NCAA is also party to this so they may try to go after us for making them look bad too.

I really don't doubt that he's been hurt by this at all and it would be interesting to know how some of those other situations like the volleyball team with 8 players involved the courts at all or this would be the first.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, has anyone confirmed what Brenner has claimed or is it just his word right now?
I've got to believe he has medical charts that will be used as part of this process. Oregon will settle out of court but how this plays out for us and little willie in particular will be interesting. I've got to think that with Feld and that specific event that the AD has perhaps prepared for this potentiality by making sure we're on the up and up with everything we've done since. Of course the NCAA is also party to this so they may try to go after us for making them look bad too.

I really don't doubt that he's been hurt by this at all and it would be interesting to know how some of those other situations like the volleyball team with 8 players involved the courts at all or this would be the first.
Gotcha, just wasn’t sure how much evidence Brenner has. Nobody else from last year’s team have said anything about the workouts being too tough so just wasn’t sure. Guess we’ll wait and see what happens.
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

You always have to hear both sides of the story, but if what Brenner said is true and if Taggart and Oderinde don't have a solid rebuttal, they're in for some hurt. Obviously they'd get hit financially, but probably even worse, it'd hurt their reputation, which in turn would hurt recruiting. You don't want four and five star recruits and their parents asking 'hey, aren't you that coach that worked guys so hard that their pee turned black?' (and this assumes he keeps his job to begin with).

Gonna be interesting to see how this develops. Sounds like Bri Amaranthus has an interview with Brenner coming soon; definitely a must-see.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

I thought I remembered that one or more players tweeted one or more tweets in support of Oderinde shortly after things went public. I feel like at least one of the affected players even voiced support of him. Maybe I'm not remembering right.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

Greenblood wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if Brenner ends up settling for a few hundred grand. You usually can't take the opening demand or requested relief in these kinds of suits that seriously. It's essentially just an opening negotiating number and neither side wants to go to trial. Given that, I agree that the number really doesn't seem "that" high for any kind of significant physical damage Brenner believes he suffered.

The woman who accused 3 basketball players of sexual assault was awarded with $750,000 by the university because they leaked her medical history. I think this is far more serious, but he's a man so you are probably right that it won't amount to much.