Interesting stat, USC Defense

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

uodux1212
Senior

Interesting stat, USC Defense

Post by uodux1212 »

We all know SC is a shell of what they have been in the past, but this stat almost knocked me out of my chair:

USC has given up 111 points in their last 3 games, they gave up a TOTAL of 117 points all last season.

Unreal...

"How do we go from nine to one?" - Chip Kelly

“Our expectations are to win every game we play." - CK
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Interesting stat, USC Defense

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Crazy. Fall of troy?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I just think that they are having such a problem replacing so many starters and they've had so many injuries this year on both sides of the ball. Their year is turning out like our 2007, with so much early promise but eventually failing due to so many injuries.
3duxmebroma
One Star Recruit

Post by 3duxmebroma »

Dude;
I am soooooo tired of hearing that 'having such a problem replacing starters' crap I'm going to puke.
Do you really mean that USC can't replace their 4 and 5 star starters with other 4 and 5 star players ?
Look at their roster; of those players with Rivals ratings, 15 are 5-star, 32 are 4-star and 12 are
3-star players...
So, are you falling for that crap that USC whiners/alum and media are filling you with ?
Those excuses are disgusting - UO only dreams of having those 'problems'.
greenyellow wrote:I just think that they are having such a problem replacing so many starters and they've had so many injuries this year on both sides of the ball. Their year is turning out like our 2007, with so much early promise but eventually failing due to so many injuries.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

3duxmebroma wrote:Dude;
I am soooooo tired of hearing that 'having such a problem replacing starters' crap I'm going to puke.
Do you really mean that USC can't replace their 4 and 5 star starters with other 4 and 5 star players ?
Look at their roster; of those players with Rivals ratings, 15 are 5-star, 32 are 4-star and 12 are
3-star players...
So, are you falling for that crap that USC whiners/alum and media are filling you with ?
Those excuses are disgusting - UO only dreams of having those 'problems'.
greenyellow wrote:I just think that they are having such a problem replacing so many starters and they've had so many injuries this year on both sides of the ball. Their year is turning out like our 2007, with so much early promise but eventually failing due to so many injuries.
I'm not falling for anything. I've come to my conclusion based on what I've watched this season. I don't read a lot of stuff that people close to their program says. You can have all the talent in the world to replace them but a lot of the talent is unproven in game situations. They may be highly rated out of high school but they have to prove themselves on the college level and many weren't. Also they've had a lot of injuries that has ruined chemistry between the players on both sides of the ball. Injuries can severely hamper a team's development and execution (look at Oregon in 2007 once all the injuries piled up.)
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

My 10 cents. I don't think it has anything to do with injuries. I've always thought that Carroll was a better recruiter than an x's and o's coach. His supporting staff isn't as good as it has been. Or, at least is still figuring out what they want to do.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

I think it's a combination of things. Like Wheaton said, I don't think petey is that great of an x' & o's guy. He's lost a lot of good assistants to other programs & I think thats starting to show. There's not nearly as good of a supporting cast around him coaching wise.

I also think it has to do with them really having too much talent. I know it doesn't sound possible & most times it isn't, but this case is a little different. My theory is, with the ridiculous amount of 4-5* guys just waiting in the wings, no one guy ever has a chance to shine. Their RB situation is a perfect example. No one of that group has ever broken out & become a star. Why? He's never had a chance. When you split carries with 4 or 5 guys a game, you can never get in rythm or establish anything. Compare that to the Reggie Bush years when him & White split carries. Bush got a ton of touches & put up insane numbers. No one on this years SC is getting anything even close to what Bush & White got. The rotation/overturn at every position is what's killing them IMO.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

During the Bush/White years, USC had the same amount of backlog, but one thing they did have was Norm Chow... I think he was a genious at putting the right talent together to succeed.

Sark is not hitting on all cylinders at UW for the same reasons Chow is having problems at UCLA... Lack of talented players currently on the roster (Yes, I realize there are a few, such as Locker, Polk, and that monster tight end, but not enough.).

Without that level of talent to draw from (As is the case at UCLA right noe) Chow isn't nearly the mastermind he appeared to be at USC.

Petey was able to recruit multiple experienced, high quality coaches to put in place to take advantage of all that talent on multiple occasions. This last round of hires has to be considered a stumble on his part, if not necessarily a failure.

Hence, the lack of performance.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!