No Excuses

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DmoneyDuck
Freshman

No Excuses

Post by DmoneyDuck »

The Pac-12 North is for the taking and I don't think any Duck fan could have imagined the head start the rest of the division gave the Ducks just six weeks into the season.

As it stands, the Ducks have leads on the following:

- Oregon State (1-1 Conference): 1 Game Lead, Vs. Beavers 11/30 in Eugene
- Stanford (2-2 Conference): 2 Game Lead + Tie-Breaker, W 21-6 in Palo Alto on 9/21
- California (1-2 Conference): 2 Game Lead + Tie-Breaker, W 17-7 in Eugene on 10/5
- Washington (1-2 Conference): 2 Game Lead, Vs. Huskies 10/19 in Seattle
- Washington State (0-2 Conference): 2 Game Lead, Vs. Cougars 10/26 in Eugene

With seven conference games left (4 Home, 3 Away), the Ducks are in the driver's seat to represent the Pac-12 North and have a shot at the Rose Bowl. I'm in love with the way our defense is playing and the offense, minus those unforced errors, looked pretty good against a stout Cal Bears defense last night. Given the results so far, there should be no excuses for this team to not win the division.
Merganzer
Senior

Re: No Excuses

Post by Merganzer »

Agreed. The Rodents are thrilled with their victory over the Bruins, the Husies and Coogurs are both going through implosions. Stanfurd manned up and have next week off. It's there for the Ducks, if they can just keep it rolling.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

The goal for this year has to be a conference title. We have the horses and everything is set up for us in our division. Anything less will be a disappointment, especially with this being the last year of the Herbert era.

A playoff berth is still on the table, but just barely. And honestly, I have my doubts that our offense is good enough to keep up with the big boys. If everything breaks just right then I'll be on board, but it shouldn't be what we set our sights on. This year is about taking the conference and getting to Pasadena.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Tray Dub wrote:The goal for this year has to be a conference title. We have the horses and everything is set up for us in our division. Anything less will be a disappointment, especially with this being the last year of the Herbert era.

A playoff berth is still on the table, but just barely. And honestly, I have my doubts that our offense is good enough to keep up with the big boys. If everything breaks just right then I'll be on board, but it shouldn't be what we set our sights on. This year is about taking the conference and getting to Pasadena.
At this point I will be satisfied with a conference championship. I don't think we have any business in the playoffs with how we are playing on the offensive side of the ball. Things may click down the road but I don't see the running game improving.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

So win all our games at home, and go 1-2 on the road, and we are North champs. UW will drop at least one more game, and I'm guessing that's vs Utah. I can also see them losing at Colorado. Heck the way they defend the run, Arizona might rip them.for 40 points next week and get the W.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

This is a perfect set up. If we’re not Pac-12 North champs it would mean we had our own implosion.

I’ll take the Rose Bowl any day, I’m not De’Anthony. The playoffs are a long shot. It’s gonna require a lot of chaos. Let’s get that conference title and Rose Bowl - it will help the program long term. I just can’t see this team going through the next seven games undefeated.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Yeah we still have big games on the road against UW, USC, and ASU. I still not seen a whole game where the offense continues scoring on the road. We came close at Stanford but they were never a threat to win the game. I am not sold yet on this teams ability to score on the road and if the defense struggles that could be a problem. Cristobal himself said can not rely on the defense to win the game every week. That means the offense needs to help them.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

Tray Dub wrote:The goal for this year has to be a conference title. We have the horses and everything is set up for us in our division. Anything less will be a disappointment, especially with this being the last year of the Herbert era.

Pretty sure that’s the goal EVERY YEAR! The expectation for this year BEFORE last years overachieving 9 W season was 9 or 10 w’s THIS year, not last. Then the big recruiting class and a 9 win season that most pundits were putting at 7-8 wins TOPS. Now fans (especially the CK era fans that joined the fan base) at the beginning of the year were talking playoffs, now they are SETTLING for a RB birth? Sound like a bunch of spoiled children from that school in Southern California. Nothing wrong with setting goals, they just need to be realistic and put them into perspective. Personally I thought going into the year that getting a NY6 bowl would be the ceiling for this team. Playoffs pfft....WHAT PLAYOFFS :lol: . I realize that the Ducks are still alive in the playoff hunt and hope they make it, f they don’t ok, I’m still super proud of this team and the fact we were a dumpster fire team 3 yrs ago with and then again a year later when we thought we had our coach and he bolted and took half the recruiting class with him. 2 yrs from a dumpster fire program and fans are talking playoffs.....the coaches must be doing something right regardless of the unrealistic expectations of some fans. All the glass half empty bs is getting old and some should seek professional help with meds!!!

IMHO of course GO DUCKS!!!!
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Merganzer wrote:Agreed. The Rodents are thrilled with their victory over the Bruins, the Husies and Coogurs are both going through implosions. Stanfurd manned up and have next week off. It's there for the Ducks, if they can just keep it rolling.
"Husies"- was that a typo or intentional? That could become a new nickname, only with 2 s's (Hussies).
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yep, just win the North and then (hopefully) the Pac12 title game. Obviously the main goal is to win a title but there's just 0% chance we could sneak in and beat Ohio St and Alabama in back to back games despite how good our defense is.

A Rose Bowl against either Penn St/Wisconsin again would be a great season.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

RanDux wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Agreed. The Rodents are thrilled with their victory over the Bruins, the Husies and Coogurs are both going through implosions. Stanfurd manned up and have next week off. It's there for the Ducks, if they can just keep it rolling.
"Husies"- was that a typo or intentional? That could become a new nickname, only with 2 s's (Hussies).
It was intentional, and yeah, Hussies is better, same amount of letters. 8-)
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Bumping this thread after this past week's results:

As it stands, the Ducks have leads on the following:

- Oregon State (1-2 Conference): 2 Game Lead, Vs. Beavers 11/30 in Eugene
- Washington (2-2 Conference): 2 Game Lead, Vs. Huskies 10/19 in Seattle
- Stanford (2-2 Conference): 2 Game Lead + Tie-Breaker, W 21-6 in Palo Alto on 9/21
- California (1-2 Conference): 2 Game Lead + Tie-Breaker, W 17-7 in Eugene on 10/5
- Washington State (0-3 Conference): 3 Game Lead, Vs. Cougars 10/26 in Eugene

With six conference games left (3 Home, 3 Away), the Ducks are in the driver's seat to represent the Pac-12 North and have a shot at the Rose Bowl and have, at minimum, a two-game lead over every single team in the division.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

This is the game that should solidify the culture Cristobal is trying to build at Oregon. The Ducks come in to the game as one of the best defensive teams in the country. They just had their best offensive performance. They are ranked #12, the Huskies, literally cracking the Top 25, at 25.
Momentum & confidence should be fully installed with the Ducks; the pressure of playing on the road replaced with the pleasure of shutting up and crushing the joy out of the game for the Huskies and their fans. Justin still needs that "game" where he puts it all together and leads the Ducks to a big win. The defense can't let up; KT meet Jacob Eason and destroy him. Make all his passes 50/50's. The Huskies are on the edge of this season falling off the cliff. Push 'em off.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

HUCK THE FUSKIES!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Merganzer wrote:This is the game that should solidify the culture Cristobal is trying to build at Oregon. The Ducks come in to the game as one of the best defensive teams in the country. They just had their best offensive performance. They are ranked #12, the Huskies, literally cracking the Top 25, at 25.
Momentum & confidence should be fully installed with the Ducks; the pressure of playing on the road replaced with the pleasure of shutting up and crushing the joy out of the game for the Huskies and their fans. Justin still needs that "game" where he puts it all together and leads the Ducks to a big win. The defense can't let up; KT meet Jacob Eason and destroy him. Make all his passes 50/50's. The Huskies are on the edge of this season falling off the cliff. Push 'em off.
To be fair, I thought herbert put it all together against Colorado. I counted 4 drops before the half and a lot of his throws were on the money, and nfl caliber throws. NFL caliber receivers would've caught those balls.