Turns out, Fleck and Ruhle can coach

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Turns out, Fleck and Ruhle can coach

Post by GrantDuck »

Message board consensus was we wanted those 2...and frankly, we were right that both would have been better hires than Taggart. They had rough years in transition last year, but both have really done great this season.

Mullens entirely lucked into Cristobal, but hey, I do like our situation in the end! (We'll see long term how each program does, next year will be a big test for Mario and staff with a new OL/QB).
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Turns out, Fleck and Ruhle can coach

Post by OregonFan4Life »

For sure, but I’m happy with Cristobal. I’m sure Mullens didn’t see it ending up this way but he’s lucky it did. To a certain extent, I’d take Cristobal over those guys. He’s building a culture here and he’s a heck of a recruiter. Assuming he learned his lesson from the Auburn game about going too conservative I think he’ll be a fantastic coach for us.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Yep, gotta give credit where credit is due. Taggart had an act, Fleck has an act that is actually working. Ruhle steps in to a program in free fall and does a great job. But yes, Happy that we have Cristobal.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I'm still salty because the $3000 titanium carbide oars I bought in anticipation of hiring Fleck were non-returnable. Hey, now may be a good time to try to sell them on Craigslist - Minneapolis at a profit.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Fleck drives me nuts with his cheesy antics. Had the players write a goal with a piece of coal and then throw it all in a barrel. Next day he opens it with with giant fake diamond. Gag...
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

UofDuck wrote:Fleck drives me nuts with his cheesy antics. Had the players write a goal with a piece of coal and then throw it all in a barrel. Next day he opens it with with giant fake diamond. Gag...
I feel that same about Fleck, cheesy...... I would hate “row the boat” as much as I did Taggart’s ridiculous mottos . As mentioned, Fleck has things rolling right now, we will see what long term brings. I see no down side in the future with Cristobal, as long as we can hang on to him and he can keep plugging the openings with quality players and coaches. He is learning and adjusting just fine I am very happy so far with what he has done with this team so far and we’re this season is going with the players he has....... he will be tested next year with his young team.
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

No offense, but I have to classify you both (and everyone else that thinks the same about Fleck) as HATERS.

The top two most important tasks of a college head football coach are RECRUITING and MOTIVATING. Those are the most important traits for success in college.

Fleck is the real deal and I saw it back when he was with W Mich. Nothing has changed, and he hasn't changed either.

You don't like what he does and you think its "annoying?" Well, his players, the city of Minessota, fans, and his staff are surely not annoyed. I'm pretty sure they are ecstactic about the success and culture he has produced.

How anyone can hate on the guy is beyond me!
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Gophers4Ever wrote:No offense, but I have to classify you both (and everyone else that thinks the same about Fleck) as HATERS.

The top two most important tasks of a college head football coach are RECRUITING and MOTIVATING. Those are the most important traits for success in college.

Fleck is the real deal and I saw it back when he was with W Mich. Nothing has changed, and he hasn't changed either.

You don't like what he does and you think its "annoying?" Well, his players, the city of Minessota, fans, and his staff are surely not annoyed. I'm pretty sure they are ecstactic about the success and culture he has produced.

Recruiting is but Motivating isn't.
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

Duck07 wrote:
Gophers4Ever wrote:No offense, but I have to classify you both (and everyone else that thinks the same about Fleck) as HATERS.

I'd strongly disagree. Because there's certainly tons of coaches who are good at recruiting and other areas, but they're terrible, TERRIBLE motivators. They can't keep their players' heads in the game for a full season. Which is why a lot of upsets happen.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

You missed listing:

Coaching
Scheming
Coordinating
Scheduling
Mentoring....

I’d say the first two are far and away more important.

Look, there are plenty of folks that roll their eyes at some of Fleck’s actions, including some serious football minds. Even his some of players at WMich were on record about how corny some of his schtick was. I don’t hate the dude, but I don’t care for his approach either.
Duck4Ever
Three Star Recruit

Post by Duck4Ever »

UofDuck wrote:You missed listing:

Coaching
Scheming
Coordinating
Scheduling
Mentoring....

I’d say the first two are far and away more important.

Look, there are plenty of folks that roll their eyes at some of Fleck’s actions, including some serious football minds. Even his some of players at WMich were on record about how corny some of his schtick was. I don’t hate the dude, but I don’t care for his approach either.
Motivating is part of coaching. And, no I do not think X and Os are more important than the two factors I listed. That's what assistants and other staff are for tbh.

Doesn't matter who rolls their eyes at what he does. It works so too bad for them!
You can't be serious about mentioning scheduling haha.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck4Ever wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

I'd strongly disagree. Because there's certainly tons of coaches who are good at recruiting and other areas, but they're terrible, TERRIBLE motivators. They can't keep their players' heads in the game for a full season. Which is why a lot of upsets happen.
If by motivation you mean run through the wall adrenaline rush, I would agree with Duck7, it wears off and both teams are pumped at the beginning of the game anyway in most cases.

If by motivation you mean installing a culture of winning attitude and unwavering confidence I would put it in the holy triad along with scheme and recruiting. I think Fleck does this in spades.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Duck4Ever wrote:No offense, but I have to classify you both (and everyone else that thinks the same about Fleck) as HATERS.

I can tell you all of the Minnesotans I know have been annoyed by it, they're still watching and cheering for the Gophers but they hate all of the Row the Boat and his extra stuff. I even sent a text after the game and asked if they like him now, the best answer I got back was "he can stay" lol. They're coming around, but most still have a love for Jerry Kill and how he was building the program and representing it. The game didn't sell out until Friday evening, I think if he stays and they continue to get better people will get behind him but currently it seems to be a little too off-putting.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

pudgejeff wrote:
Duck4Ever wrote:No offense, but I have to classify you both (and everyone else that thinks the same about Fleck) as HATERS.

I can tell you all of the Minnesotans I know have been annoyed by it, they're still watching and cheering for the Gophers but they hate all of the Row the Boat and his extra stuff. I even sent a text after the game and asked if they like him now, the best answer I got back was "he can stay" lol. They're coming around, but most still have a love for Jerry Kill and how he was building the program and representing it. The game didn't sell out until Friday evening, I think if he stays and they continue to get better people will get behind him but currently it seems to be a little too off-putting.
Roll tOSU in similar fashion to the PSU game, and all will be forgiven.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!