Arroyo=Don Pellum

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Arroyo=Don Pellum

Post by GrantDuck »

People were in denial about Pellum, but the coach didn't move on until it got truly horrible.

10 points and 1-11 on 3rd downs.. against the Beevs..

It's getting there.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Arroyo=Don Pellum

Post by Phenom »

lol okay....
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

the Allioti comp is much more apt
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck07 wrote:the Allioti comp is much more apt
Did Aliotti ever have a top 15 defense here?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

More on Herbert than Arroyo I think.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

lukeyrid13 wrote:More on Herbert than Arroyo I think.
I hate to poop on Herbert - but he was awful for the second game in a row. Just... bad.
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

Basically.
Arroyo is the vip of the coach so it will be very tough to get rid of him, as it was with helf/pellum.

As much as ppl want to point at Herb, arroyo is also the QB coach and did nothing at all to help him develop.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

shoparound wrote: As much as ppl want to point at Herb, arroyo is also the QB coach and did nothing at all to help him develop.
This is actually a valid criticism but I have seen Herbert improve in many aspects, just not in enough. I think it might be mental, which you can only do so much as a QB coach.

I guess we'll see what we have with Shough next year since that is for sure Arroyo's guy.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Think it may all depend on the progression of the back ups, of Butterfield and Millen. If coaches are confident in them, maybe the RPO is in play, with there actually being the threat of the QB run. Hopefully, if the opposing defense doesn’t have to relegate that as no option (all year, this year), it opens up the offense. It has stunted the Ducks this year.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phenom wrote:
shoparound wrote: As much as ppl want to point at Herb, arroyo is also the QB coach and did nothing at all to help him develop.
This is actually a valid criticism but I have seen Herbert improve in many aspects, just not in enough. I think it might be mental, which you can only do so much as a QB coach.

I guess we'll see what we have with Shough next year since that is for sure Arroyo's guy.
For whatever reason(s);they're have been many, Herbert just hasn't seemed to progress much in QB technique since his really promising freshman debut. He's being projected as a high NFL pick because of his measurables, but make him 6'2, and those aren't there.
He's got the tools, But the finer points of being a really good QB haven't materialized.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

There’s also the chance that Herbert is just who he is at this point. QB coaches aren’t magicians and can’t generate abilities that simply aren’t there. Far more QBs don’t develop than do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:There’s also the chance that Herbert is just who he is at this point. QB coaches aren’t magicians and can’t generate abilities that simply aren’t there. Far more QBs don’t develop than do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I think. Arroyo isn't a great play-caller and that's on him, but I'm not really holding Herbert against him.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Watching Utah/Colorado I keep thinking back to Oregon fans, myself included, wanted OC Andy Ludwig fired then celebrated when he was gone.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

maxduck wrote:Watching Utah/Colorado I keep thinking back to Oregon fans, myself included, wanted OC Andy Ludwig fired then celebrated when he was gone.
If Ludwig and Arroyo had swapped teams at the start of the year do you think Oregon would've played better on offense? Players play the games. Huntley and Moss are absolute studs--they are better than Herbert or any of our RBs, respectively. I still think Dudwig is a turd and I'm happy the Ducks flushed him.

The team (and the offense) have improved under Arroyo's tenure. I want to see what he can do with the players he has recruited.

It's also really unclear how many of the decisions being made on the offensive side of the ball are being made by Coach Cristobal.

Pellum's defenses were ranked in the 120s. Allow-a-lottis in the 30s, 40 and 50s. Arroyo has been top 15-27.

And as far as Arroyo the QB coach--it's a sample size of one at this point--there isn't a whole lot to take away.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

wepto wrote:
maxduck wrote:Watching Utah/Colorado I keep thinking back to Oregon fans, myself included, wanted OC Andy Ludwig fired then celebrated when he was gone.
If Ludwig and Arroyo had swapped teams at the start of the year do you think Oregon would've played better on offense? Players play the games. Huntley and Moss are absolute studs--they are better than Herbert or any of our RBs, respectively. I still think Dudwig is a turd and I'm happy the Ducks flushed him.

The team (and the offense) have improved under Arroyo's tenure. I want to see what he can do with the players he has recruited.

It's also really unclear how many of the decisions being made on the offensive side of the ball are being made by Coach Cristobal.

Pellum's defenses were ranked in the 120s. Allow-a-lottis in the 30s, 40 and 50s. Arroyo has been top 15-27.

And as far as Arroyo the QB coach--it's a sample size of one at this point--there isn't a whole lot to take away.
Great post.