Thoughts on the QB’s

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Thoughts on the QB’s

Post by Alan »

Before spring ball, I remember how impressed I was when I watched Marcus as a redshirt freshman during the spring game. It clicked why Thomas had left early. So before we see our next star....... what are/is your feelings about our AB group next year? Will it be Shough or a true freshman? I would feel better if Shough had more game experience. Your thoughts?
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Thoughts on the QB’s

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:Before spring ball, I remember how impressed I was when I watched Marcus as a redshirt freshman during the spring game. It clicked why Thomas had left early. So before we see our next star....... what are/is your feelings about our AB group next year? Will it be Shough or a true freshman? I would feel better if Shough had more game experience. Your thoughts?
I think that will be a key factor, especially if it's vs a younger player. If Shough and one of the freshman are close, the advantage would seem likely to go to the younger player, since he wouldn't have any experience in Joe Moorehead's offense either.

The main drawback of starting a freshman is the possibility of Shough transferring. That's his decision, of course. He may love Oregon and want to stay, but if he wants to play he'd probably want to transfer.

I'm hoping that Shough comes into spring ready to take over and leave no doubt that he's the guy. If not, unless we can bring in a transfer, we're going to be very young and inexperienced at QB next year.

I'm definitely thinking that we need a mobile QB, due to the lack of returning starters on the O-Line.
John 3:36
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

I want to see how Millen is. We didn't get a chance last year so now with Shough, Millen and Butterfield for spring ball, it should be interesting. I don't know if we get the fourth guy in due to the MLB draft and his desire to play ball.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I'd put my money on Shough, just based on how the players and coaches talk about him. I don't think they're just paying lip service.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

The little I saw of Shough reminded me of Marcus in his quick choices and throws, along with his accuracy. It's just a small sample, (spring game, USC) but I have high hopes. Also, while the line may be inexperienced I see a lot of talent and I don't think Shough is going to be running for his life.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

It’s gonna be Shough by a pretty good margin is my guess. The arm is good enough. Honestly though it’s the pancake block during the game that sold me.

He’s got some swagger and that matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

SuperDuck wrote:
Alan wrote:Before spring ball, I remember how impressed I was when I watched Marcus as a redshirt freshman during the spring game. It clicked why Thomas had left early. So before we see our next star....... what are/is your feelings about our AB group next year? Will it be Shough or a true freshman? I would feel better if Shough had more game experience. Your thoughts?
I think that will be a key factor, especially if it's vs a younger player. If Shough and one of the freshman are close, the advantage would seem likely to go to the younger player, since he wouldn't have any experience in Joe Moorehead's offense either.

The main drawback of starting a freshman is the possibility of Shough transferring. That's his decision, of course. He may love Oregon and want to stay, but if he wants to play he'd probably want to transfer.

I'm hoping that Shough comes into spring ready to take over and leave no doubt that he's the guy. If not, unless we can bring in a transfer, we're going to be very young and inexperienced at QB next year.

I'm definitely thinking that we need a mobile QB, due to the lack of returning starters on the O-Line.
One of the big knocks I have on MC. Stubbornly refused to let Shough get meaningfull playing time when the game was out of reach and JH didn't need to be exposed to any more shots...Hope it doesn't bit us in the ass in the first three games if Shough is the starter.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m really confident in Shough, I think he’ll end up being a better college QB than Herbert, but that’ll largely be because he wasn’t stuck with garbage Arroyo as OC. Shough just reminds me of a good QB that has a swagger that allows him to play better than he really is, almost like Joe Burrow (but I don’t expect him to be quite that good). As for the quality of QB Shough will end up being at Oregon, I think he could end up somewhere in the middle between DT and Marcus. I’m excited for the Shough era, assuming he wins the job which I think he will.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

"It’s gonna be Shough by a pretty good margin is my guess. The arm is good enough. Honestly though it’s the pancake block during the game that sold me.

He’s got some swagger and that matters "

This^^^ Loved that block and the fact that he's willing to get a little nasty. Hoping we have another winner coming along. Time will tell.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

I’m odd man out here. I think Butterfield is the guy. His arm is golden.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

The team seems to love Shough and the reports on him are good. I think he's going to be really good in Moorehead's system.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

UofDuck wrote:I’m odd man out here. I think Butterfield is the guy. His arm is golden.
Butterfield does have a good arm, but he isn't much of a running threat and he needs to spend time in the weight room to get stronger. Combine all that with his lack of experience compared to Shough and it would be pretty surprising if he won the job.

To be honest, I wonder if the Ducks would have even recruited Butterfield if Moorhead was the OC. He doesn't really fit the typical mold of what Moorhead likes to do. The strange thing is that the QB the Huskies landed seems like he would be a better fit at Oregon, while Butterfield seems like he would be a better fit for the direction Washington seems to be going (a true pro-style offense).