Is this the reason why Oregon fans are considered rude?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Is this the reason why Oregon fans are considered rude?

Post by gofightingducks »

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

On a national stage I sure hope Duck fans can keep the stupidity to a minimum since I know it is impossible to eliminate all together. :evil:
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Re: Is this the reason why Oregon fans are considered rude?

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Let's take a clinical look at that supposed poll. Over 60% of those polled are not season ticket holders. Okay........so out of those non season ticket holders, how many do you really think visited Autzen for an away game? Especially those from any fair distance away. Those that voted Oregon the worst fans are obviously jealous of our success, plus they cleaned the cookies off of their computers and voted over & over again (Sheep & Puppies). Take a very close look at the numbers. When you click on "What is your favorite stadium to visit in your conference" and choose the Beavers, why is Oregon top of the list? Then, who are the rudest fans, Beavers say Oregon. That doesn't make sense. How can you like going to Autzen but hate it at the same time?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... pac10.html

You're going to have an occasional loser at every venue, but to base an article on an internet poll so you can stir up crap before the CW in order to sell newspapers or have people click on your stories is irresponsible at best.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Anybody that has done any traveling to other venues, as a visitor, will see the same things at those venues as they see at Oregon....We are not unique...Not that rude or vile behavior should be promoted..It surely shouldnt, but lets face it, when u pack 60,000 people (give or take) into a stadium designed to seat 57-58,000, surely doesnt help matters....
Add alcohol...and look out...

Please keep one thing in mind...It is not always the home team fans that create the problems.
I am a season ticket holder and have been for many years...Have followed the Ducks closely since the early 70's...The world has changed alot over the past 4 decades....and in many respects not for the better. Not only have we become a much more unruly citizenry, but we have also become alot more violent as a culture....Add a very competitive sporting activity....Add some alcohol...What is expected to happen...Do I like it? Hell no....But, some measures should be taken to minimize the negative aspects...
I do agree with that concept...What? Now that is a matter for discussion....
gregspechtismyhero
Freshman

Post by gregspechtismyhero »

Somebody spit on her head? That's what sparked this debate? I'm pretty sure that happens all over the place. I would be absolutely stunned if that's not a common occurrence. I'm not condoning that by any means, but still, it's part of being on the road in a hostile environment, she should be happy someone didn't pour beer on her or something like that.
In Helfrich, Frost, and Allioti we trust
Image (USA Today Sports)
AIM: hockeygoalie923
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Biggus Duckus wrote:Whether or not the poll exists, there definitely does seem to be a problem with irate and even dangerous fans at Autzen. Same goes for most places.

I think the article is wrong though, in saying it's not a "Pit Crew" problem. I think students are the biggest problem. Sore winners or losers can come from all types of fans, but the physically dangerous ones are students (even as a student, I preferred not to sit in the lower half of the student section).
But if you look at some of the bigger incidents in the last couple of years (fight at UCLA game last year and now the spitting on Purdue cheerleader), they were located in areas not included in the student section. I believe the fight during the UCLA game took place on the south side of the stadium, which is as far from the student section as you can get and occurred between 2 "adults". The Purdue cheerleader was supposedly spit on in one of the tunnels leading off the field. None of the student sections, to my knowledge, are over the tunnels, so they weren't the cause of this incident either. While there are problems in the student section (illegal drugs, drinking, and throwing of items at each other and field), the student section is fairly well contained and behaved when compared to other student sections in the Pac-10.
endene
One Star Recruit

Post by endene »

I used to wince when I walked by the visitor section because some Oregon fan was being obnoxious(usually a student). However since the conduckted campaign began it has changed a lot. I think that over time the perception of our fans will change accordingly.

It doesn't help that students have to enter the south entrance and walk by the visitor section to reach their seats.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

I agree it happens at every single school, including right here in Utah at BYU, the land of the "perfect" people. This past weekends rivalry game between Utah and BYU had a number of incidents. I know the perception of other PAC-10 schools fans about Oregon is not based on these types of incidents but the outspokenness, loudness and support in general from Duck fans, so the assumption is because Duck fans are loud, means they are rude. Unfortunately you have douchebags at every school that do things like this and it reflects bad on the entire school. I saw a story on ESPN's Outside the Lines that Auburn and other schools have cameras in place throughout their stadiums and have security and police officers that carry phones and can receive text messages from fans that can report problems and kick out fans that are being idiots. Maybe Bellotti can do something similar as to not ruin the experience for everyone else.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I have had season tickets for 13 years now. Interesting as I sit here and just thought hm 13 years.. this is the 113th Civil War hm what is it about 13 LOL.. About the rudeness factor..I have seen a few rude fans and saw the fight that occured at the UCLA game. I have sat on both the North and the South side. The seats I have now I have had for like 5 years or so and keep getting them cause it is a fun bunch of people in our area. I think the rudeness does occur at every venue and think that alcohol abuse is one of the biggest factors. I do worry about the Civil War this week in that sense. The state of Oregon and its fans have never had this kind of excitement .. antitipation for the Civil war before. It could breed a lot of things especially when add alcohol to some stupid fans. I know a few days ago The Register guard said should be happy that will be Oregon.. or Oregon State going to the Rose Bowl.. I do not know if the fans would feel the same if their team was to lose. If look at the events in the different stadiums across the country.. be it Arizona.. or anywhere else I think will find the same things going on..which I agree is totally wrong and should not be condoned by any means. I do not understand what makes Oregon worse than anywhere else though as am sure this happens a lot sadly.Lets just hope if Oregon loses which I do not see happening that our fans will be respectful and that will still be respectful if we win. That same feeling goes to the barkrat fans as well.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

I don't think the State of Oregon is any different than any other venue. Each incident has to be resolved immediately and without hesitation. If you review that Arizona bottle throwing again, the security people standing on the field did absolutely nothing to stop the fans from throwing the bottles. They just stood there. Now, if they had gotten on the horn and sent security throughout the stands, it would have stopped. Autzen wouldn't allow that to happen and that's a fact.

Our fans are loud & proud, but I rarely come across abusive Duck fans. When Boise State beat us last year in Autzen, one Duck fan said something stupid to a Boise State fan, but my hubby quickly corrected the dude and it died a quick death. It's up to all of us to protect our reputation whether in Autzen or outside of it.

The Moshofsky is a perfect example of blending the two fan bases. I have never seen taunting or rude behavior towards an opponent's fan ever in there. Every one has a great time. Many times I've shared a table with the other team & we've had lots of fun.

As folks have mentioned before, when you have a winning program people come gunning for you and try to demean you in order to make themselves more relevant. Unfortunately it's part of the human psyche.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

MFRDuckFan wrote:I don't think the State of Oregon is any different than any other venue. Each incident has to be resolved immediately and without hesitation. If you review that Arizona bottle throwing again, the security people standing on the field did absolutely nothing to stop the fans from throwing the bottles. They just stood there. Now, if they had gotten on the horn and sent security throughout the stands, it would have stopped. Autzen wouldn't allow that to happen and that's a fact.

Our fans are loud & proud, but I rarely come across abusive Duck fans. When Boise State beat us last year in Autzen, one Duck fan said something stupid to a Boise State fan, but my hubby quickly corrected the dude and it died a quick death. It's up to all of us to protect our reputation whether in Autzen or outside of it.

The Moshofsky is a perfect example of blending the two fan bases. I have never seen taunting or rude behavior towards an opponent's fan ever in there. Every one has a great time. Many times I've shared a table with the other team & we've had lots of fun.

As folks have mentioned before, when you have a winning program people come gunning for you and try to demean you in order to make themselves more relevant. Unfortunately it's part of the human psyche.
If everybody took that approach the problem would be solved.
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

This article was linked to via espn.com. Bad press :(
I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

Funny how Beaver fans seem to think they are so perfect. http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/ ... a2c37.html
wheaton4prez
Senior

Post by wheaton4prez »

echo31 wrote:Funny how Beaver fans seem to think they are so perfect. http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/ ... a2c37.html
Let's just hope that they don't continue to employ the "indecent exposure" strategy this year.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Beavers will shut their pie hole by midnight on Dec. 3rd (I'll give them a few hours after the game ends so they can rant on about how much of a raw deal they got), then it will be another year of perfect silence.