Bowden to "retire"

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

chapelhillduck
Senior

Bowden to "retire"

Post by chapelhillduck »

I understand that the program has been down recently...but the guy deserves to go out on his own terms

For some reason this leaves a bad taste in my mouth:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4701625
wheaton4prez
Senior

Re: Bowden to "retire"

Post by wheaton4prez »

I had the same feeling. Didn't seem right the way they handled it.

Coaching is a brutal business these days.
uo2010
Four Star Recruit

Post by uo2010 »

They did him wrong. He made that program. He should have been able to coach from his death bed and FSU fans should have had a smile on their face. I am not sold on their replacement either. Seems like he fizzled out since being a hot prospect when they named him the "coach in waiting" a couple years ago.
I was BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Going out on his own terms? I think so.

One could argue that by being so successful so consistently, he set up the terms of FSU being a top 5 program. He was responsible for creating the expectations. He has failed to meet the expectations that he put in place and has clearly lost his abilities as a coach recently. Since he has failed to live up to the terms of FSU being a top 5 program, in actuality he is leaving under his own terms, though not be his own decision.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
liberalduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by liberalduck »

I don't like Florida State and have never rooted for them or for that matter any team from Florida. That being said, Bowden is a coaching legend and deserves to coach one more year if that is all he was asking for. I really think that too many fans/donors have a "What have you done for me lately" attitude and can't seem to have perspective over a period of time longer than a few years. Although college football is big business, I think it is a shame that the people most instrumental in bringing teams to their pinnacle of success and keeping them there for a while aren't even allowed to call the shots as to when it is time to leave. Coaches like Bowden and Paterno should get to decide when to leave even if it means a few years of losing. I'm not a football historian, but I believe FSU had a long history of losing before Bowden. He helped make them what they were when they were one of the best.
goducks75
Four Star Recruit

Post by goducks75 »

liberalduck wrote:I don't like Florida State and have never rooted for them or for that matter any team from Florida. That being said, Bowden is a coaching legend and deserves to coach one more year if that is all he was asking for. I really think that too many fans/donors have a "What have you done for me lately" attitude and can't seem to have perspective over a period of time longer than a few years. Although college football is big business, I think it is a shame that the people most instrumental in bringing teams to their pinnacle of success and keeping them there for a while aren't even allowed to call the shots as to when it is time to leave. Coaches like Bowden and Paterno should get to decide when to leave even if it means a few years of losing. I'm not a football historian, but I believe FSU had a long history of losing before Bowden. He helped make them what they were when they were one of the best.
Hit the nail on the head. Agree 100%, although I have no problem with Florida State.
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

Would have been nice to see him go out under his own terms, however the with the level of talent they have down in Florida, and Bowden's mediocre coaching performance over the past few years it was a decision that was likely necessary to make. The importance of having a quality product is extremely important to AD's since Fotball is the primary income generator for most schools. In these economic times making certain the stands are full is highly important.

Personally I think they could have reached that objective giving him one last season. Apparently the wins and losses are more important to the alumni than the man who brought them there.