After this season's Rose Bowl victory

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gofightingducks
All Pac-12

After this season's Rose Bowl victory

Post by gofightingducks »

looking ahead to the potential of next season.

The Ducks only lose 4 starting players.

Ed Dickson is the only senior 2 deep (not including Blount because he is a 3rd string back) :) on the offensive side of the ball (can you believe that?) and with the depth and talent at the TE position I think as great as Dickson is, this year the offense hasn't utilized him too much outside of the Cal game so the talent behind him should be able to step into his role with similar results.

The Ducks only lose 3 on the D with Tuakuafu (who will be tough to replace but I think we will be OK with some of the younger guys) T.J. Ward (who missed a lot of the season anyway with Boyett stepping in nicely) and Morgan Flint (who will be missed because of his accuracy and ability to kick under pressure, but again we have talent to replace him albeit inexperienced.)

Cal, USC and Oregon State will be tough road games but we get Stanford and Arizona at home as well as UCLA and Washington (who knows they might be good) and an easy out of conference schedule outside of Tennessee on the road.

Things could get interesting. I would settle for another season with the same results of this one, but there could be something better!
cordy02c
Senior

Re: After this season's Rose Bowl victory

Post by cordy02c »

About that Ted Miller predicted that we will play Alabama for the national title next year
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

We probably have one conference on the road next year. SC or Cal most likely in my mind, but that's probably just because we haven't won in either place for a long time.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

Defensive line will be a big concern next season. An already small defensive line will lose their biggest defensive end and two biggest defensive tackles. Hopefully Montgomery can get his act together and someone like Iupati is ready to step up and play a major role in the defensive line rotation.

Coach Azz had his work cut out for him this season and it turned out well for the most part, although the defensive line began to get exposed more and more as the season progressed against better competition. The challenge facing Azz will be even more difficult next season.
freedjr
Four Star Recruit

Post by freedjr »

David Paulson did an awesome job in the two TE sets. I think he will continue to do great. Plus, Curtis White is coming, and what happened to Malachi Lewis? I will miss Ed a lot, but I think we'll be alright!

We also have a MUCH easier non-conference schedule so that's (hopefully) at least one less loss.
goducks75
Four Star Recruit

Post by goducks75 »

VinnyKnuckles wrote:Defensive line will be a big concern next season. An already small defensive line will lose their biggest defensive end and two biggest defensive tackles. Hopefully Montgomery can get his act together and someone like Iupati is ready to step up and play a major role in the defensive line rotation.

Coach Azz had his work cut out for him this season and it turned out well for the most part, although the defensive line began to get exposed more and more as the season progressed against better competition. The challenge facing Azz will be even more difficult next season.
Very true. It's huge that we get a couple big DTs who are ready to play during this recruiting cycle. Will make things a little bit easier but even then the inexperience will make things harder.