2021 Spring Practices (April 1-May 1)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: 2021 Spring Practices (April 1-May 1)

Post by buckmarkduck »

Also love hearing the positive reviews of Addison at safety. Now if he can play in pads, we may have something.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

From what I'm hearing(maybe not news to most of you :D ), Sewell is absolutely terrifying so far in Spring camp.

Really hoping Flowe stays healthy and pops too as the season goes on.

As far as what I'm watching for at Spring ball/fall camp:

1. QB (obvious is obvious). Seems to be Brown's job to lose, with Butters/Thompson pushing him.

2. Offensive line. OL was inconsistent last season. Hoping we can see some of the young kids push the vets and get spots. If we're putting out something like:
LT: Kingsley, LG: Bass, C: Forsyth, RG: Sala, RT: Jones/Moore....I like our chances to have a really good OL by mid season.

3. Who will step up at running back? Trey Benson? Can Cardwell play early?(seems to be hard in Mastro's system, to a fault perhaps).

4. DB's. Wright, Verone, and Hill are a good starting point, but how will Manning, DJ James, etc. fare? They better be ready as tacklers against Ohio State. Will DeRuyter not be so stupid as to have Happle play meaningful snaps?

5. Good health. No Covid outbreaks or injuries.

6. Freshman WR's. Who rises to the top of this great class?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:From what I'm hearing(maybe not news to most of you :D ), Sewell is absolutely terrifying so far in Spring camp.

Really hoping Flowe stays healthy and pops too as the season goes on.

As far as what I'm watching for at Spring ball/fall camp:

1. QB (obvious is obvious). Seems to be Brown's job to lose, with Butters/Thompson pushing him.

2. Offensive line. OL was inconsistent last season. Hoping we can see some of the young kids push the vets and get spots. If we're putting out something like:
LT: Kingsley, LG: Bass, C: Forsyth, RG: Sala, RT: Jones/Moore....I like our chances to have a really good OL by mid season.

3. Who will step up at running back? Trey Benson? Can Cardwell play early?(seems to be hard in Mastro's system, to a fault perhaps).

4. DB's. Wright, Verone, and Hill are a good starting point, but how will Manning, DJ James, etc. fare? They better be ready as tacklers against Ohio State. Will DeRuyter not be so stupid as to have Happle play meaningful snaps?

5. Good health. No Covid outbreaks or injuries.

6. Freshman WR's. Who rises to the top of this great class?
James getting a lot of praise so far. True Fr David also turning a lot of heads.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

2. I'm not sure about what others think but I wasn't a very big fan of Forsyth last season. Ideally he will improve a lot in the off season or someone will replace him but I'm most concerned about Forsyth on the line.

3. We only have 2 healthy RB's in the spring... a significant lost developmental opportunity for the younger guys since they're out with injuries. I wonder if Dye will fumble it in the spring game....
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Last note - I wonder if we'll finally see Steve Stephens develop into this full potential and lock down that safety spot. He was in the same class as Holland and had a higher ranking by some services compared to Holland.

Perhaps another Matt McGraw?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

ducks5ever wrote:2. I'm not sure about what others think but I wasn't a very big fan of Forsyth last season. Ideally he will improve a lot in the off season or someone will replace him but I'm most concerned about Forsyth on the line.

3. We only have 2 healthy RB's in the spring... a significant lost developmental opportunity for the younger guys since they're out with injuries. I wonder if Dye will fumble it in the spring game....
I somewhat agree on Forsyth. Before the season he was my pick for breakout OL, seeing him in the previous spring game he looked great. There was a buzz about him from the coaches that was basically ‘if we didn’t have Jake Hanson then Forsyth would easily by the guy’ at center. And Forsyth looked good at times, he had crisp snaps that Hanson tended to float and when Throckmorton snapped it looked like a helium balloon. But there were times when Forsyth was just bullied, particularly against UCLA with that great DT. Hanson was a strong dude, Forsyth is probably fully maxed on his physical development since that was his fourth year in the program already. Ideally the guards can help, and NTs that line up over the center who are fast/explosives enough to capitalize on the strength advantage are rare.

It’s good to read that Kingsley way getting reps with the second team at LT. I think having Sala at guard is a better fit than him at tackle, and maybe Bass should be at one of the tackle spots although he’s probably the best guard. Everyone can tell that Cristobal loves Steven Jones but he’s really inconsistent - at least that’s something that can improve.

For running backs, that’s super disappointing. The bad luck of both Dollars and Benson being out really hurts development. I’m probably one of the biggest Travis Dye fans and I have to wonder if they need to force him to wear gloves. It’s such a stupid thing to not do, everyone who has ever held a football, or anything they don’t want to drop for that matter, knows how much better your grip is with gloves.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

April 1 interview:

April 3 interviews:

April 6 interviews:

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I think our D has a season similar to 2019.

Nervous about our offense though.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13