1985 DASL Draft Retrospective

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

offtheheezy
Senior
GM: Vancouver Grizzlies

1985 DASL Draft Retrospective

Post by offtheheezy »

Since the 1985 draft class are now about to finish their rookie contracts and are nervously awaiting free agency, let's take a look back at how the draft class did. Let's take a look at what the scouting reports told us vs. what actually happened.

1. Patrick Ewing C 7'0'' 240 23
Selected By: Dallas Mavericks
Current Team: Dallas Mavericks
Potential in scouting reports: Amazing
B C C- B B- A
B C- D+ A- B+ C
-1 outside, +1 handles, +2 defense, +2 rebounding

Ewing is a solid player, still a great center in the league, but overall has been pretty disappointing for the #1 overall pick who came in with amazing potential in the scouting reports. I’m going to mark this as a loss for the scouts. In terms of production though, Ewing still may be the #1 pick in what turned out to be a very weak draft.

2. Karl Malone PF 6'9'' 250 22
Selected By: Detroit Pistons
Current Team: Detroit Pistons
B- C C B- C+ A
B+ C C B B+ B
+2 inside, +1 defense, +3 rebounding

Came in with surprisingly low ratings, but has turned it around in the latest TC to become a good starting power forward in the league. The only knock on Malone is that he doesn’t block shots, but he has utilized his potential well and hopes to build on a strong latest TC. Win for the scouts.

3. Detlef Schrempf SF 6'10'' 235 23
Selected By: Vancouver Grizzlies
Current Team: Atlanta Hawks
C+ C+ C B- C+ A
C C+ C- B- C+ B
-1 inside, -1 handles

This guy is a scrub and is honestly probably the worst draft pick in DASL history. I’ll welcome anyone who challenges this fact and thinks they can think of a bigger scrub than this guy this high in the lottery with this supposed “amazing” potential. If I could mark this as a -1000 for the scouts I would, but this is a pretty fat L.

4. Benoit Benjamin C 7'0'' 250 21
Selected By: Boston Celtics
Current Team: Boston Celtics
Potential in scouting reports: Amazing raw
C+ D D B B A
B- D+ D A- A- B
+1 inside, +1 outside, +2 defense, +2 rebounding

Who probably should’ve been the 3rd overall pick if the Vancouver Grizzlies had fired their scouting department earlier, Benjamin has enjoyed massive increases in his ratings and ultimately reached his potential. His production in actuality is a little bit lacking, but one can’t complain especially compared to the rest of the draft. Win for the scouts.

5. Wayman Tisdale PF 6'9'' 240 21
Selected By: Seattle Supersonics
Current Team: Phoenix Suns
Potential in scouting reports: Good
B+ C- D+ B C+ B
B+ C- C B B- B
+2 handles, +1 rebounding

Had an amazing first TC, then ultimately stagnated into basically just working on his handles taking a page out of modern day Andre Drummond. He’s still a solid player, but hasn’t really improved much since entering the league. Since his potential was only “good”, one didn’t expect him to become a huge superstar, but still think he underperformed based off his scouting report. Neither a loss or a win for the scouts.

6. Chris Mullin SF 6'6'' 200 22
Selected By: Atlanta Hawks
Potential in scouting reports: Great
C+ B- C- B- C A
C+ A- C A- C C
+3 outside, +1 handles, +3 defense

Mullin is probably what Detlef thought he could be before he looked at himself in the mirror and decided screw it, I’m not working on my game. Mullin has developed into a great outside shooter and defender, and while he’s not the greatest of volume scorers, one can’t really complain with this level of improvement from a “great” potential. Win for the scouts.

7. Joe Dumars SG 6'3'' 190 22
Selected By: Toronto Raptors
Current Team: Vancouver Grizzlies
C+ C+ C+ C+ C A
C B+ B A- C B
-1 inside, +3 outside, +2 handles, +4 defense

Awesome stuff. Crazy rating improvements. Definitely met his potential in the scouting reports. Still can’t average more than 9ppg as a third option in an outside oriented offense. Good defender though. Maybe that’s why Jordan didn’t come to the Grizzlies. I wonder how volume is calculated in FBB, but hesitantly will mark it as a win for the scouts.

8. Terry Porter PG 6'3'' 195 22
Selected By: Miami Heat
Current Team: Miami Heat
C+ C+ B- B- D B
C+ B+ B+ B+ D B
+3 outside, +2 handles, +2 defense

Porter’s been slipping under the radar considering where he was selected and his report only showing “good” potential. Has been locking down the starting guard spot for the contending Heat, although he could improve his handles a bit more. I consider this a win for the scouts. Good pick in a overall weak draft.

9. Xavier McDaniel SF 6'7'' 205 22
Selected By: Denver Nuggets
Current Team: Detroit Pistons
C+ C C- B C- A
B- C+ C- A- C- C
+1 inside, +1 outside, +2 defense

For some reason, I never understood why, but McDaniel had a lot of perceived trade value across the league in the first couple seasons? He got traded for Drexler which will probably be the highlight of career, despite being a solid role player. Then again, I drafted Schrempf so who am I to talk about anything. L for the scouts though.

10. Spud Webb PG 5'6'' 133 22
Selected By: Washington Bullets
Current Team: Washington Bullets
Potential in scouting reports: Very good
B C- C+ C D- B
B C B C+ D C
+1 outside, +2 handles, +1 defense, +1 rebounding

Spud Webb probably got inflated a bit by name value, but his ratings have bumped up quite a bit, but probably not in the areas that he needed. Win for the scouts based off the bump alone, but not a contributor on the Bullets’ team.

11. Ed Pinckney PF 6'9'' 195 22
Selected By: San Antonio Spurs
Current Team:
B- C- C- B C+ B
B C- C- A- C+ C
+1 inside, +2 defense

Didn’t even realize this guy was in the league, but seems solid enough. Neither a win or loss, just a solid role player for a team that’s come out to be a surprise contender after landing Turpin in the last free agency.

12. Charles Oakley PF 6'8'' 225 22
Selected By: Los Angeles Clippers
Current Team: Los Angeles Clippers
C D D B B B
C+ D+ D B+ B- C
+1 inside, +1 outside, +1 defense, -1 rebounding
Also somewhat decent improvement, but neither a win or loss for scouts. Really can’t produce though despite decent ratings from what I see. Really wanted him prior to the next pick, and I would’ve taken him considering what happened next.

13. A.C. Green PF 6'9'' 220 22
Selected By: Vancouver Grizzlies
Current Team: Utah Jazz
C+ C C C+ C+ A
C+ C C- C+ B- B
-1 handles, +1 rebounding

Another 1985 Vancouver pick. Great. He sucks. L for the scouts.

14. Jon Koncak C 7'0'' 250 22
Selected By: Houston Rockets
B- C- C- B- B- B
B C- C A- B C
+1 inside, +1 handles, +3 defense, +1 rebounding

Followed up by a great pick. Improved tremendously despite “good” potential. Maybe in 1985 “good” and “amazing” were swapped. Typos? Koncak was a definite win for the scouts and is a solid starter for the contending Jazz.

15. Sam Vincent PG 6'2'' 185 22
Selected By: Portland Trailblazers
Current Team: Milwaukee Bucks
C+ C C+ C C A
C+ C C+ B- C- B
+2 defense, -1 rebounding

Who? Oh the guy that got traded in the Cartwright deal. Was worth a shot for the rebuilding Bucks but ended up not panning out. L for the scouts.

16. Alfredrick Hughes SG 6'5'' 215 23
Selected By: Golden State Warriors
Current Team: Golden State Warriors
B- C- C+ B D B
B- C- C+ A- D+ C
+2 defense, +1 rebounding

I think he was selected by the old Warriors GM more for his name than his ratings. Nevertheless, he ended up making some solid improvements. I’d say just about right for the scouts.

17. Steve Harris SG 6'5'' 195 22
Selected By: Houston Rockets
C C+ C+ C+ D B
C B+ B- B- C- B
+3 outside, +1 handles, +1 defense, +2 rebounding

Another example of where maybe “good” was mistaken for “amazing”. Should I start counting this as an L for the scouts since they underselled some of these players? Not getting a lot of burn on the stacked backcourt of the Jazz but looking good.

18. Michael Adams PG 5'10'' 162 23
Selected By: Sacramento Kings
Current Team: Sacramento Kings
C+ C+ C+ C D B
C+ B B C+ D+ C
+2 outside, +2 handles, +1 defense, +1 rebounding

Sacramento has actually very quietly been hitting on most of their draft picks in the last couple of years. Maybe their development staff is really great since Schmidt has also somehow become MVP level. I wonder how many rings they would have if they didn’t lose JBC and Buck Williams in the same free agency class.

19. Keith Lee C 6'10'' 215 23
Current Team: Seattle Supersonics
Potential in scouting reports: Solid
B+ D D C+ B- C
B+ D C- C+ B C
+2 handles, +1 rebounding

Had a lot of hype for being selected at 19 with a bunch of GMs coming out and saying they were trying to trade up for this guy, but since he was temporarily on the Grizzlies he lost any and all potential. Now he’s the tank commander for the Sonics. DASL version of Eddy Curry.

20. Manute Bol C 7'7'' 200 23
Selected By: Atlanta Hawks
C D D C C+ A
C+ D D- C+ B- C
+1 inside, -1 handles, +1 defense, +1 rebounding

Meh. Maybe Bol was too good in previous iterations in the league but this guy literally only blocks shots. Seems like a good fit for Portland next year. Scouts seemed confused about this guy too, so I’ll give it net zero.

21. Terry Catledge PF 6'8'' 220 22
Selected By: Charlotte Hornets
Current Team: Terry Catledge
B C- C- C+ C+ B
B- C- C- B- B C
-1 inside, +1 defense, +2 rebounding

Had a promising initial TC then stagnated. Still, for pick in the 20s he’s a decent player. Hornets GM hired a coach that is running some weird offense so Catledge may still need to be released. Overall, not a bad pick this late in the draft. W for the scouts.

22. Joe Kleine C 6'11'' 255 24
Selected By: Milwaukee Bucks
Current Team: Free Agent
C+ D C+ B+ C+ B
C+ D+ C B C+ C
+1 outside, -1 handles, -1 defense

Thus begins a series of a lot of underwhelming “good” potential big men that the Bucks drafted in 1985. Pretty dang underwhelming, didn’t do much in his 4 years and now looks to be headed out of the league.

23. Hot Rod Williams PF 6'11'' 215 23
Selected By: Dallas Mavericks
Current Team: Dallas Mavericks
C C C C+ C A
B- C C B B B
+2 inside, +2 defense, +3 rebounding

They call the Mavericks GM the big man whisperer. Then he usually sends them out since the Mavs can’t develop their guards :lol:. Another hit for the Mavs especially this late in the game. Showed patience and he really developed further.

24. Ken Johnson PF 6'8'' 240 23
C C- D C+ B- B
C C- D- C+ C+ C
-1 handles, -1 rebounding

Honestly the only thing I think about when I see this guy is that he was a bad contract from year 1 that the Raptors tried moving :lol:. What a dud.

25. Fred Cofield PG 6'3'' 190 24
Selected By: New Jersey Nets
B- C+ C C D B
B- C+ C C+ D C
+1 defense

A career that will be highlighted by the controversy of the Nets GM going over the hard cap and being able to dump this scrub to the Bucks for probably pick #59.

26. Blair Rasmussen C 7'0'' 250 23
Current Team: Milwaukee Bucks
C+ C- D+ C+ C+ B
B- C D C+ B C
+1 inside, +1 outside, -1 handles, +2 rebounding

Probably the best of the big men that the Bucks were able to snag in this late draft, which is probably why he’s the only guy left on the team. Decent development, and seems to be a solid enough big guy who can play a small role on certain teams.

27. Sam Mitchell SF 6'6'' 210 22
Selected By: Phoenix Suns
Current Team: Phoenix Suns
C C C C+ C A
C+ C+ C+ A- C B
+1 inside, +1 outside, +1 handles, +4 defense

Amazing development except that he just sucked that much when he came in. To even develop into a decent role player with those initial ratings is quite impressive. Will he get any run? I don’t know.

28. Bill Wennington C 7'0'' 245 22
Selected By: New York Knicks
Current Team: Charlotte Hornets
Potential in scouting reports: Average
B- D C B+ C+ C
B- D+ C B+ B- C
+1 outside, +1 rebounding

At this point in the draft, he’s an average center with average potential and is still an average center. Makes sense. Pretty decent at pick #28.

29. Georgi Glouchkov PF 6'8'' 235 26
Current Team: Philadelphia 76ers
C+ D C- C B- B
B D- D+ C B- C
+2 inside, -1 outside, -1 handles

Another one of those late draft bigs for the Bucks! At least he has a role on the contending 76ers, which is more than most #29s can say.

Overall, pretty weak draft in retrospect compared to what was expected.

Final tally:

Scouts W: 12
Scouts L: 9
Neither W/L: 6

If I had this percentage success at my next performance review, I'd probably be fired. Overall though, seems like it’s about what we expect in such a random thing like potential scouting. Brings a lot of good randomness to the league. “Good” is pretty hit or miss so buyer’s beware. Amazing generally seems to be ok, except for when you go to Vancouver.
vincent1469
Five Star Recruit
GM: Seattle Supersonics

Re: 1985 DASL Draft Retrospective

Post by vincent1469 »

Karl Malone is just Wayman without falling off a cliff
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

vincent1469 wrote:Karl Malone is just Wayman without falling off a cliff
To be fair, Wayman didn’t really fall off a cliff :lol: he just never improved haha
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Detlef is trash. Honestly, I would have taken him in the top 5 easily, if not 3rd if I had a pick then too. But what a flop.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

"A career that will be highlighted by the controversy of the Nets GM going over the hard cap and being able to dump this scrub to the Bucks for probably pick #59.
"

Not even a controversy. It was an outright bold and fraudulent attempt to circumvent the rules with complete disregard for the sanctity of our league.
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Detlef is trash. Honestly, I would have taken him in the top 5 easily, if not 3rd if I had a pick then too. But what a flop.
I was excited to pair him with Stockton :lol: but I remember thinking for like an hour about Benjamin vs Schrempf :cry:
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Post by Craig »

offtheheezy wrote:
vincent1469 wrote:Karl Malone is just Wayman without falling off a cliff
To be fair, Wayman didn’t really fall off a cliff :lol: he just never improved haha
Lol after 4yrs of "falling off a cliff" Wayman still > Malone
SUNS GM
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:"A career that will be highlighted by the controversy of the Nets GM going over the hard cap and being able to dump this scrub to the Bucks for probably pick #59.
"

Not even a controversy. It was an outright bold and fraudulent attempt to circumvent the rules with complete disregard for the sanctity of our league.
I’ll make it right when I give the other MJ a 6 year max
offtheheezy
Senior

Post by offtheheezy »

Drazen Petrovic
Inside Scoring
Handling

Steve Kerr
3PT Shooting
Jumpshot