1989 Redraft Top Ten

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

1989 Redraft Top Ten

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Definitely a weaker draft class in DASL standards

1. Pistons Actual: Tim Hardawary Now: Shawn Kemp (close 2nd tie: Sean Elliot and Vlade Divac)… grade: C

Honestly, Hardaway was locked for number one. He just never became the scorer he should have been. Shawn Kemp hasn’t disappointed yet. He hasn’t been one of the elite PF’s in the league but he has been a 18/10 machine. While he hasn’t proven himself to be an effective rim protector, he scores the ball well and rebounds great. Still has time to increase in blocks and steals. As it stands, 1989 was a pretty weak class. Top player lucky to be a 20/10 type of player. Clippers lucked out and got Kemp at a great deal though so he goes number one.

2. Clippers: Actual: Shawn Kemp Now: Sean Elliot… grade: A

Truth is, Clippers got the best available player. Had the game been been reverse, Hardaway would still look like a top player and Kemp would still be playing better each year. Sean Elliot would of been another A grade, so yeah they get a high grade. Elliot became a 20ppg player, still hasn’t reached the top DASL mark but still a good player to have. While he is the top SF coming out of the draft classes, he is playing SG for the Suns. He has been more effective there with his rebounding abilities. Though Kemp is a statistical machine, Elliot has been more of a play maker in Suns Big 3.

3. Magic: Actual: Glen Rice Now: Vlade Divac… grade: C

Vlade’s shot blocking abilities make him an elite center in the league today. While Divac may never be a All-DASL type of player, he is in the makings for multiple defensive awards. Notes had him pegged as a great rim protector, and that he is. Over the past three seasons, he has averaged almost 10rpg and 4 bpg. While being a 7ppg career scoring, Divac is finally scoring over 10ppg so the potential to score is still there. As of now, Divac seemed to be the number three guy in this draft and definitely got paid this off-season.

4. Suns: Actual: Sean Elliot Now: Tim Hardaway… grade: A-

Hardaway may never developed his handles the way point guards typically develop over the seasons. Timmy is still a very effective player especially in the outside focal offense. Defensively, he is a beast. Offensively, he has zero inside playmaking abilities. Overall though, career averages of 10ppg, 5.5apg and 20spg. So he definitely hasn’t lived up to the expectations of a number one. Pistons have Hardaway locked up at a good deal so I can see Hardaway having a great career in the future.

5. Suns: Actual: Vlade Divac Now: Mookie Blaylock… grade: A-

Overall, Mookie hasn’t disappointed. Good point guard for an inside team. He has even played great with Gill, an outside scorer. Career averages of 13ppg, 8apg and 2spg hasn’t been the best but he is still improving as a passer. Took a big leap this year and is almost getting 9apg. If he can lower his turnovers and increase his assists, he will be a great pickup in the top five of this draft.

6. Blazers Actual: Pervis Ellison Now: Danny Ferry… grade: B

While it took a while for Ellison to become a more complete player. Ferry came into the league scoring and decline over time. While I still think Ellison was a better pick up for Blazers when competing, I think Ferry would of been great with MJ, Kerr and Mullins as a outside team. Overall, could of went either way.

7. Bucks Actual: Mookie Blaylock Now: Ellison… grade: B-

Mookie, Ellison and Ferry were definitely the lower three tier compared to Elliot, Divac and Kemp. Only one that is debatable is Tim Hardaway. While Ferry hasn’t lived up to the potential after a great rookie campaign, same could be said for Hardaway after scoring 17ppg in his third season. But the fact that Ellison took a one year deal seems to either say he wasn’t going to get more money anywhere else or he is betting on himself to get a max deal. Either way, I’d take Mookie over Ellison on a max deal.

8. Nuggets Actual: Nick Anderson Now: Glen Rice… grade: C+

Glen Rice is another top player in this draft that has been a disappointment. After a great rookie campaign, Rice looked to become a 20ppg player. Training Camps never seemed to agree with the Magic on that. And after cap woes, Suns got Rice at a pretty reasonable price at 22.5 million over 3 years. Just Rice isn’t seeing much minutes so Craig might have to just take the loss for 2 seasons and move him as an expiring deal.

9. Hornets: Actual: Danny Ferry Now: Nick Anderson… grade: B

While notes had Nick Anderson pegged right, he is only averaging 9 shots a game over his career. To be a .500 shooter he needs to make 4.5 shots so around 10ppg, give or take. Yet Anderson is still career averaging 10ppg. So the math is there. Just the input of what you would want elsewhere has been the potential problem. Averages just as many assists as he does turnovers. Not a ball hawk defender. And doesn’t get many rebounds.

10. Grizzlies Actual: Stacy King Now: Frank Kornet… grade: C-

For a guy who didn’t even have notes, Kornet has been balling. Came into DASL as a one trick pony and he has not disappointed. Career average of over .500 FG%. Has even stepped up this year helping Timberwolves become a playoff team leading the team in scoring with 22ppg. Kornet is another big man who has found himself becoming gifted at the SF position.
Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

Re: 1989 Redraft Top Ten

Post by Craig »

Few things are more fun than trying to figure out what jibba is saying :lol:

Elliot, Divac > Kemp tho ;)
SUNS GM
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Went off career averages actually.

Kemp 19ppg 10rpg

Elliot 19ppg 5rpg

Divac 7ppg 3bpg

Elliot is definitely looking better than Kemp at the moment. I guess I should said who Jibba would of drafted instead. Have a nice night!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

If Ferry had been SF eligible I'd have considered him at 6 that year but I was concerned he would be a very weak rebounder at the 4

I thought Ellison would come in and get 16ppg as a rookie and maybe get up to 19-20 the next few years. I gave up Ken Barlow who was a 15/5 guy consistently and 2 picks for him so I was certainly expecting more.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

I was debating between Rice and Divac at the time. Looks like I chose wrong.