1997 Day 55 All-League Teams

Moderators: UOducksTK1, Zyme, lukeyrid13, Oregon Ownage

Craig
Senior
GM: Phoenix Suns GM

1997 Day 55 All-League Teams

Post by Craig »

My picks if the season ended today (Day 55)

All League 1st Team

C-Alonzo Mourning (SA)-21.7ppg, 13.7rpg, 3.8apg, 0.9spg, 5.4bpg, 3.1topg, .476 FG%, .800 FT%, 1.000 3P%, (36.9mpg)
Zo is top 5 in the league in rebounding, #1 in shot blocking, and scoring an efficient 22ppg this season while keeping his Spurs near the top of the Western Conference. He’s got some stiff competition at the Center spot, but his comparable offense and DPOY favorite level defense gets him the nod over guys like Vlade, Smith, Shaq, Smits, and Priest.

PF-Danny Manning (GS)-28.3ppg, 12.4rpg, 2.1apg, 1.0spg, 1.5bpg, 2.6topg, .486 FG%, .826 FT%, .371 3P% (35.9mpg)
The Warriors roster has been getting slowly depleted through attrition the last few years, and with the departure of their starting backcourt this offseason, Manning has responded with his best season to date. He’s putting up career highs in points, rebounds, FG%, and minutes trying to keep this team afloat. The team will likely miss the playoffs again, but it will not be for lack of heroic effort on Danny’s part.

SF-Michael Jordan (NY)-24.4ppg, 4.5rpg, 2.4apg, 2.5spg, 0.4bpg, 3.2topg, .459 FG%, .942 FT%, .436 3P% (32.1mpg)
Small Forward is a tough position to parse out. All League mainstay Michael Jordan gets a slight edge for me, but I honestly moved around him, Chris Gatling, Chris Webber, and Tom Gugliotta through all 3 spots before settling here, so it’s highly debatable. MJ is no spring chicken but is still an elite scorer from all over the floor and a ball hawk on the defensive end. He’s also putting up big numbers in less minutes than most other members of these teams.

SG-Brian Quinnett (TOR)-30.3ppg, 7.2rpg, 2.6apg, 2.8spg, 0.2bpg, 1.1topg, .483 FG%, .840 FT%, .370 3P% (37.6mpg)
BQ is just…ridiculous. He leads the league in scoring, is top 5 in steals, is the best rebounding SG around, and never turns the ball over. The offensive dominance and ball control combination is unprecedented. He finally got himself his first max contract this offseason after being a late bloomer and is looking to take the new-look Raptors to new heights after a rebuild period with his talented new teammates.

PG-Kevin Ollie (DAL)-23.2ppg, 3.1rpg, 8.9apg, 2.3spg, 0.1bpg, 2.4topg, .496 FG%, .800 FT%, .423 3P% (38.4mpg)
With superstar Jim Jackson out for basically the entire first half of the season, Kevin Ollie has stepped up in a huge way to lead the Mavericks to the top of the West the whole year where they did not miss a beat. With Jackson returning soon, some of Ollie’s numbers will likely dip a bit, but through this point in the season, Ollie is the League’s MVP in a surprising turn of events. He’s poured in a very efficient 23ppg and is still one of the best all-around floor generals and defenders at the PG spot in the league. Just a phenomenal first half of the season.

All League 2nd Team

C-Vlade Divac (MIL)-20.9ppg, 11.3rpg, 3.4apg, 1.5spg, 3.7bpg, 2.3topg, .461 FG%, .741 FT%, .000 3P% (35.9mpg)
After breaking out and earning All League First Team honors last season, Vlade is continuing to show out on both ends and has his Bucks at the top of the league. His numbers aren’t quite as gaudy as they were last year, but he’s got a bit more help and a better overall team this season. Will he be able to lead the team to a title this year? This could be their best shot, as I’d call them the favorites to this point.

PF-David Robinson (NY)-19.0ppg, 11.4rpg, 1.5apg, 0.9spg, 3.5bpg, 2.3topg, .464 FG%, .852 FT%, .000 3P%, (31.2mpg)
This former MVP finds himself in a bit of a different situation than he’s been used to this season, in that his team is more focused on launching from the outside, but being the all-time great that he is, he remains one of the best two-way big men around. He’s not getting quite as many shots up but still scores efficiently at almost 20ppg while remaining an elite rebounder and rim protector. He’s also doing this in a lower amount of minutes than most other stars, making his production even more impressive.

SF-Chris Webber (TOR)-21.8ppg, 8.3rpg, 4.1apg, 1.3spg, 1.2bpg, 2.4topg, .481 FG%, .557 FT%, .337 3P% (34.6mpg)
C-Webb has slowly turned himself into one of the league’s better all-around SF’s, as evidenced by his 1st Team honors last season. This year, he is contributing similar production and has been joined by two superstar teammates to try and chase a title. The Raps are still working out the kinks in their rotation and it remains to be seen which of the Big 3 will have to do the most sacrificing, but to this point Webber has been an all-around star at his position.

SG-Latrell Sprewell (SAC)-29.7ppg, 4.1rpg, 2.3apg, 2.9spg, 0.2bpg, 2.0topg, .507 FG%, .874 FT%, .476 3P% (39.2mpg)
If it weren’t for the outlier presence of Brian Quinnett, Spree would be far and away the league’s top SG. He has broken out in a major way to become easily one of the best two-way players in the entire league. His offensive efficiency is insane and he’s a menace in the passing lanes on defense as well. Some raised an eyebrow or two after he received a max contract from the Kings two offseasons ago, but he has finally put it all together and is now worth every penny.

PG-Anfernee Hardaway (MIA)-20.4ppg, 6.9rpg, 10.1apg, 2.3spg, 0.2bpg, 4.7topg, .455 FG%, .781 FT%, .388 3P% (38.1mpg)
Penny is still humming along as one of the most dangerous all-around players in the league. His size/athleticism allows him to get anywhere he wants on the court and he’s a triple-double machine. He’s also a very good defender. The one wart he has always had is his tendency to toss the ball away to the other team. Given how much skill and responsibility he has, it is understandable, but it is the one thing that may be holding him back from being arguably the best player in the league.

All League 3rd Team

C-Charles Smith (TOR)-23.9ppg, 10.8rpg, 2.8apg, 1.3spg, 2.3bpg, 3.3topg, .486 FG%, .803 FT%, .000 3P% (37.1mpg)
Smith remains one of the most unstoppable inside scorers in the league. The former MVP/Playoff MVP has recently been moved to Toronto in a huge overhaul north of the border and will have to figure out how to work with his new teammates. He has played with two other stars over the last few seasons in Phoenix, though, and shined in that situation as well, so I think he’ll be fine.

PF-Antoine Walker (CHI)-26.3ppg, 9.2rpg, 2.6apg, 1.3spg, 0.1bpg, 2.4topg, .455 FG%, .824 FT%, .408 3P% (34.2mpg)
Walker has turned himself into one of the more unique scorers in the league in his second season. No other big man possesses the inside-out skills that he does, and he is using them to great effect. He still lacks a bit of prowess on the glass and on defense, which is why Robinson got the 2nd Team nod, but Walker is killing it and is the youngest player of any of my All League picks at just 21.

SF-Tom Gugliotta (SA)-20.1ppg, 8.4rpg, 4.3spg, 1.8spg, 0.2bpg, 2.4topg, .485 FG%, .738 FT%, .296 3P% (37.4mpg)
Googs continues to be a reliable offensive hub for the title-contending Spurs and provide good defense/rebounding from his position. As mentioned, an argument can be made for him to be on any spot on this list, a testament to his skills. The Spurs have some tough competition atop the West, and Gugliotta will be an important part of that race come playoff time.

SG-Steve Smith (MIN)-26.2ppg, 5.1rpg, 2.2apg, 1.9spg, 0.1bpg, 2.4topg, .506 FG%, .790 FT%, .452 3P% (34.1mpg)
Smitty has now vaulted himself into the conversation as another high level SG in this league, a position where guys just can’t get a night off. Amazing players like Mitch Richmond, Eric Piatkowski, and Sean Elliot were looked at but not even seriously considered for this spot, that’s how great the league’s 2-guards are. Smith has become a bona fide scorer on elite shooting and is leading his T’Wolves to homecourt in the playoffs, earning him my 3rd Team spot.

Kenny Anderson (WAS)-23.8ppg, 3.4rpg, 9.0apg, 2.3spg, 0.1bpg, 3.1topg, .457 FG%, .810 FT%, .361 3P% (38.1mpg)
Anderson gets a slight edge over Jason Kidd for me here, but I definitely would not quibble with him getting this spot. For me, Anderson’s slight bit more defensive playmaking and offensive responsibility gets him the nod. He’s just a fantastic all-around PG with no real weaknesses and is the biggest reason that the Bullets remain in the playoff hunt.

Players also considered: SF Chris Gatling (DEN), SF Robert Horry (NJ), PG Jason Kidd (SAC), C Rik Smits (CHA), C Shaquille O’Neal (PHX), SG Kendall Gill (MIL)
Last edited by Craig on Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
SUNS GM
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Re: 1997 Day 55 All-League Teams

Post by dd10snoop28 »

so many good SG's. it's depressing.

fun article
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

dd10snoop28 wrote:so many good SG's. it's depressing.

fun article
Healthy Jim Jackson makes it even more stacked with Ray Allen waiting in the wings
SUNS GM
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Whoa what the heck, I didn’t even realize how baller Kevin Ollie is. His notes suck too, good for him.

Nice article, feels like lots of top talent. I could see 2nd team taking on 1st team and winning 4 times out of 10.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Nice read. If Rookies were included I would of went +5. Even if it was just a small note
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Whoa what the heck, I didn’t even realize how baller Kevin Ollie is. His notes suck too, good for him.

Nice article, feels like lots of top talent. I could see 2nd team taking on 1st team and winning 4 times out of 10.

This mf'er is gonna extend his contract for cheap too, you watch.
Last edited by Craig on Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUNS GM
Craig
Senior

Post by Craig »

Whenever this is ready for processing:

Glenn Robinson
3pt Shot
Jump Shot
Inside Scoring
Quickness
Strength
SUNS GM
Oregon Ownage
All-American
GM: Dallas Mavericks

Post by Oregon Ownage »

Craig wrote:Glenn Robinson
Jump Shot
Done
jibbajabba614
Senior
GM: Milwaukee Bucks GM

Post by jibbajabba614 »

Craig wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Whoa what the heck, I didn’t even realize how baller Kevin Ollie is. His notes suck too, good for him.

This mf'er is gonna extend his contract for cheap too, you watch.
I think that’s the draft where I upped all the point guards handles for a test run lol….

My bad