Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Miami-Georgia Tech, my GOD

Post by Tray Dub »

droop10 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
droop10 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Miami likely would have had a 4th down with around 5 seconds left had they kneeled. This is where the "delayed-knee" comes into play on 3rd and 4th down.

I wonder how many HS coaches will end their practices with a Victory Formation session? lol
I don’t believe so. Pretty sure there was only 34 seconds on the clock when they snapped it, so there wouldn’t have been time to run another play. That’s what makes it so egregious.
It's not a reset to 40 seconds but 25 so depending on how you take the knee depends on how much time would have been left. Some Refs will sprint that ball back and others will let it run out. Even in a worst-case scenario of having to snap the ball on 4th down, you're still left with a QB who can lose yards before throwing it out of the end zone the same way Alabama did at the end of their game.
Feel like I’m crazy here. Why would it reset to 25 and not 40? Almost certain 25 seconds is only after administrative clock stoppages, like injuries, penalties, etc.
It's definitely 40 seconds.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

droop10 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
droop10 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Miami likely would have had a 4th down with around 5 seconds left had they kneeled. This is where the "delayed-knee" comes into play on 3rd and 4th down.

I wonder how many HS coaches will end their practices with a Victory Formation session? lol
I don’t believe so. Pretty sure there was only 34 seconds on the clock when they snapped it, so there wouldn’t have been time to run another play. That’s what makes it so egregious.
It's not a reset to 40 seconds but 25 so depending on how you take the knee depends on how much time would have been left. Some Refs will sprint that ball back and others will let it run out. Even in a worst-case scenario of having to snap the ball on 4th down, you're still left with a QB who can lose yards before throwing it out of the end zone the same way Alabama did at the end of their game.
Feel like I’m crazy here. Why would it reset to 25 and not 40? Almost certain 25 seconds is only after administrative clock stoppages, like injuries, penalties, etc.
You’re not crazy.

The only time it resets to 25 is after a timeout, official stoppage, penalty extra point and kickoff

I hate to admit it but I was a MC fan at first, I bought the talk and loved the recruiting. However it was clear after a few games he was making the calls and not listening to the advice of coaches around him. A my way or sink attitude doesn’t work in any aspect of life.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Duck07 wrote:
droop10 wrote: Feel like I’m crazy here. Why would it reset to 25 and not 40? Almost certain 25 seconds is only after administrative clock stoppages, like injuries, penalties, etc.
No you're right on the 40 seconds, I've watched too much Cristobal apparently :lol:
Hah, fair enough. Had me looking up play clock rules to make sure I wasn’t talking out of my ass!
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

Tray Dub wrote:
bellsduck wrote:
Lmao I had completely blocked this out of my memory. This is the second time?!

Edit: In fairness, I went back and watched (I'll post the Youtube link below) and it was 2nd & 3 with 0:59 left and Stanford had one timeout. If we had kneeled it on 2nd and 3rd down they would've gotten the ball back. In that scenario I think most teams would run for the first.

https://youtu.be/J0F7ZOPjWVU?t=500
I didn’t understand the criticism at the time. That was a far tougher decision than yesterday
jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

lmduck wrote:And Mario will never own it as his mistake. Instead they are going to go to work on their physicality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Not only does this highlight one of the main issues I had with Cristobal with awful game/clock management, but it also highlights that his team plays down to their opponents’ level. In no way should Georgia Tech have kept it that close at Miami, but Mario finds ways to get his team in competitive games against far inferior competition. There were way too many close games against terrible opponents while he was at Oregon, games that should’ve been blowouts early.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Two things:

1. JBeaverton, I think our cats are twins.

2. I'm so thankful that MC left. I remember being so anxious about it because of his unprecedented recruiting here, but in my gut I was thankful because it was so clear that he couldn't actually coach. Maybe the greatest travesty in Oregon football history (other than DAT not throwing that block) was Justin Herbert looking ordinary and only winning a Rose Bowl. I mean Cristoball was so bad that he made Herbert look ordinary.

Just think about that poor Miami lineman after the game, crying out "WHAT THE **** ARE WE DOING HERE?!?" Seriously, Duck fans can feel his truth. It's a question every Canes fan is probably asking today.

I don't dislike Mario, but watching him struggle in Miami just makes me so glad that he's not our problem. Meanwhile, we have a better, cooler coach and our recruiting hasn't skipped a beat.

Life is good.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

jBeavertonduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:And Mario will never own it as his mistake. Instead they are going to go to work on their physicality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He finally did, sort of. Mumbling something about not having practiced (kneel down???) during the week. They need to learn and move on. No Mr. Deerintheheadlights, it's not your first time. When will you learn? I'm thinking sooner or later, Prime will be the coach at Miami.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

rsbgduck wrote:
droop10 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
droop10 wrote:

You’re not crazy.

The only time it resets to 25 is after a timeout, official stoppage, penalty extra point and kickoff

I hate to admit it but I was a MC fan at first, I bought the talk and loved the recruiting. However it was clear after a few games he was making the calls and not listening to the advice of coaches around him. A my way or sink attitude doesn’t work in any aspect of life.
I bought into Cristobal in the beginning as well, but clearly his stubbornness began to show early.
jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

pezsez1 wrote:Two things:

1. JBeaverton, I think our cats are twins.

That was Cecil, He just passed a couple months ago at the ripe old age of 19. It's amazing how much they become a part of your life.
If yours is anything like he was, you are a lucky guy!!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

That was Cecil, He just passed a couple months ago at the ripe old age of 19. It's amazing how much they become a part of your life.
If yours is anything like he was, you are a lucky guy!!
I'm sorry to hear that! Yes, we love our Duffy. He is actually more my wife's little avatar than mine. My cat was named Kerwin, and we had to put him down last year... definitely heartbreaking. Kerwin was an interesting cat... he was scared to death of strangers to the point he'd sometimes hunt and attack friends who came to the house, but around me he was the biggest softy. Loved licking my yogurt lids and being rough-petted across the floor. I always suspected he was abused before he was taken to the shelter where we found him, which might explain his distrust of strangers. He is missed, but his memories are a blessing. I'm sure Cecil's are as well.
Willie Taggart is a dick.