What did we learn about our team?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: What did we learn about our team?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

jBeavertonduck wrote:I would have liked to see more “run it down their throat”, power football in short yardage situations. Our O line was better equipped for that than their D line.
The Michigan type where they run it down their throat with 8 lineman in there? I agree that would've been successful in a few 3 and short yardage situations if used sparingly. I personally miss the QB sneak.
jBeavertonduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jBeavertonduck »

I would have liked to see more “run it down their throat”, power football in short yardage situations. Our O line was better equipped for that than their D line.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

It feels like our d has improved from last years game. (They were missing their second best, nfl caliber WR tho)

Bo s performance seems to be a few levels down from how he fared against UW last year. Wonder if the slippery field was a factor in seeing him only run and rush a few times. If bo played the entire game last year we easily win that game, but that was not the case today.

Our OL had some good moments for the rbs but most of them lack the nastiness and heart to overpower opponents in third or fourth and short situations.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The ONLY difference between Lanning be aggressive and having big balls on 4 th downs, and the guy most of you still think walks on water Chip. Is Lanning faces far better teams in conference that Chip did in his run. When Big balls Chip played equally talented teams in LSU, Auburn or even Stanford, it didn’t go much better for him. Live by the aggressive play calling sword, die by it sometimes. But as fans you can’t live it when it works, then hate them when it doesn’t.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The players weren't overwhelmed by the moment. They took some hard shots from the very start and essentially shrugged it all off.

Change a few plays calls and the outcome changes.

We'll see though. This is a team that can still get lit up by USC (as shown by the 5 TD drives allowed where we essentially looked like a JV defense, albeit against a Heisman caliber QB) and that is likely to struggle to stop Utah and OSU from running the ball.

The optimist wants to say that we can go 11-1 and that UW won't have the home field advantage in Vegas to play off of, but its a wait and see approach. Just a real kick in the nuts kind of loss and how they respond will be crucial.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

We learned that Jackson-Powers is a stud.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

buckmarkduck wrote:The ONLY difference between Lanning be aggressive and having big balls on 4 th downs, and the guy most of you still think walks on water Chip. Is Lanning faces far better teams in conference that Chip did in his run. When Big balls Chip played equally talented teams in LSU, Auburn or even Stanford, it didn’t go much better for him. Live by the aggressive play calling sword, die by it sometimes. But as fans you can’t live it when it works, then hate them when it doesn’t.
This^^^^

Analytics can be skewed just because the overall numbers that criteria comes from are from a variation of both good and bad offenses going against each other. I'm not sure what all the criteria is, but as you said, you live and die by it. I don't see Chip Kelly doing anything special at UCLA, so it's obviously not necessarily the best way to measure things.

The only call I had an issue with was not kicking the FG before halftime. Grab that 3 points, go into the half down 22-21 and carry that momentum with you.

By the way, off topic but regarding Lanning's win/loss record against the other NW schools, we won't be playing OSU and WSU every year anymore after this season, so it really doesn't matter. With the exception of UW, the days of bragging rights are over.
John 3:36