#8 Oregon @ #7 Washington (Oct. 14, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: #8 Oregon @ #7 Washington (Oct. 14, Sat 12:30 PM ABC)

Post by buckmarkduck »

pudgejeff wrote:
Duck07 wrote:If there's a discussion to be had right now that isn't, I think its about the change in the defense AFTER our CBs went down. From the broadcast angle it sure looked like we switched out to a 2-high shell and then the Front started getting after Penix. Prior to that, we seemed to be playing a 1-high Safety and with 1 less defender deep, it seemed like they moved the ball relatively at will on all 5 of their TD drives.

While it was like 2 plays long, on their final drive it again felt like we were playing a 1-high look and they eviscerated us.

Maybe I'm wrong about the coverages we were running since I only watched the live broadcast angle, but what other explanation for suddenly stopping their offense after the starting CBs went down then the scheme changed. I also recall that Hythloday1 said not to blitz but drop in coverage against Penix. Will be an interesting film review.
The first play on their last drive it’s an INT, some how Evan reads the hall wrong and hugely over runs it. If he just sees and plays the ball correctly it’s a simple int and the game is over.

Yeah Evan was 100% put in the right spot but somehow overran the seat and didn’t locate the ball at all.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It’s crazy ironic that in the last TD drives for Washington the last two year Penix threw a ball that should’ve been picked but the Williams brothers completely miss it, it’s just so weird, you cannot make that up.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Not meaning to bag on Nix, but offer a counter to what seems to be the prevailing take: Lanning and/or Stein lost us this game. With a 5th year QB, who’s played a ton of ball, you expect him to make these plays. Unfortunately, he didn’t yesterday.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It seems like a stretch for Nix to make the throw to Franklin on the last playcall and Geoff Schwart said so in commenting on that tweet. However Holden should’ve been an easy TD.

Here is how I see it:

First 4th down, kick the FG, dumb decision to go for it.

Second 4th down, fine with the decision and playcall, Nix messed it up locking into Franklin which he’s developed a bad habit of doing.

Third 4th down, fine with going for it, not fine with the playcall or the playcall before it on 3rd and 2.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

Lanning did what a good leader does... He took the blame for making the calls even though execution was the problem. When the guys see that on film if they haven't already they'll know and they'll appreciate what coach said to take the heat off them.
I'm fine with going on all 3 of them.
It was just plain bad luck that not one of them panned out.
Even with all 3 not working we had a chance at an int to close out the game and a kick to tie.
Last edited by bellsduck on Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm really looking forward to re-watching this game. You lose so many details when you're in the stands. The stat box definitely says the Ducks were right there.

Can't help but think that if we win out - including beating uw in the conference championship - we still make the playoffs in a year where there isn't an especially dominant team. Double elimination and back is against the wall now!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I agree we likely get into the playoff if we win out -- and I like our chances of doing so. But damn, I really hope Lanning is ready to get out of his own way. If he is, then the sky's the limit.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
bellsduck
Senior
GM: Utah Jazz

Post by bellsduck »

StevensTechU wrote:I'm really looking forward to re-watching this game. You lose so many details when you're in the stands. The stat box definitely says the Ducks were right there.

Can't help but think that if we win out - including beating uw in the conference championship - we still make the playoffs in a year where there isn't an especially dominant team. Double elimination and back is against the wall now!
I think it's a long shot right now.

At this point you gotta figure Georgia is in again, even at 1 loss. And if they lose in a championship game to Alabama, Alabama is getting in too.
Ohio State, Michigan, or PSU are gonna be in, even if the best of them has 1 loss.
One of Oklahoma or Texas likely in.
In the ACC, you have Florida State and North Carolina both undefeated right now. We gotta hope Duke or Clemson can pull off some upsets.

Fingers crossed
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

bellsduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I'm really looking forward to re-watching this game. You lose so many details when you're in the stands. The stat box definitely says the Ducks were right there.

I think it's a long shot right now.

At this point you gotta figure Georgia is in again, even at 1 loss. And if they lose in a championship game to Alabama, Alabama is getting in too.
Ohio State, Michigan, or PSU are gonna be in, even if the best of them has 1 loss.
One of Oklahoma or Texas likely in.
In the ACC, you have Florida State and North Carolina both undefeated right now. We gotta hope Duke or Clemson can pull off some upsets.

Fingers crossed

A one loss pac 12 team gets in guaranteed. I don’t see any scenario they get left out. Whether it’s UO or UW. Or if somehow SC bounces back, which I really don’t expect. In fact, I totally think Caleb packs it in once they lose another game, and starts getting ready for the draft.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Thinking about this game and how another dominant receiver outside of Franklin has yet to emerge. I remembered Dont'e Thornton coming on strong to end 2022 but then transferred to Tennessee. I just looked up his stats with the Vols and it's something like 7 catches on the year for 80-ish yards ... what's up with that? I thought he was a sure-fire candidate for a breakout season.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Thinking about this game and how another dominant receiver outside of Franklin has yet to emerge. I remembered Dont'e Thornton coming on strong to end 2022 but then transferred to Tennessee. I just looked up his stats with the Vols and it's something like 7 catches on the year for 80-ish yards ... what's up with that? I thought he was a sure-fire candidate for a breakout season.
On our end, Tez, Gary Bryant, and Holden aren't world beaters but they're plenty good to fill that receiving corps. Frankly, If I have one criticism of Nix it's that he doesn't see the whole field and can lock onto one read.

On the Thornton side, I just don't think he's a stellar receiver. Tell and fast, but sort of the anti-Cooper Kupp in terms of learning how to get open and having a big catch radius. I don't think he'd do any more than Holden currently is.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Thinking about this game and how another dominant receiver outside of Franklin has yet to emerge. I remembered Dont'e Thornton coming on strong to end 2022 but then transferred to Tennessee. I just looked up his stats with the Vols and it's something like 7 catches on the year for 80-ish yards ... what's up with that? I thought he was a sure-fire candidate for a breakout season.
As we know, there is a lot more to being a good receiver beyond being big and fast. Those are nice attributes to try and build on though.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

StevensTechU wrote:I don't think he'd do any more than Holden currently is.
Yeah, I think Holden is a better fit overall, in terms of doing the little things that most fans don't even notice. The one area Thornton probably has the edge is being the occasional home run deep threat.